Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Breadmaker / Propane Torch Roaster - BMT *edit Videos Added
seedlings
It can be done! The Breadmaker/Torch (BMT) roaster.

I lost my heatgun today. After about 6 months of hard work, the $9.99 model went out. I think it's fixable, but that's a different story. So, I loaded up about a pound and a half of greens into the breadmaker and started the beans rotating. Put the heatgun on and flipped the switch to find it dead. I stared for a while at my half-conceived roaster-in-progress, then removed the torch from it, thinking "what the heck."

I restarted the beans and lit the torch. Since there are 2 TCs, one just above the beans and one near the bottom of the beans, I watched them closely. As soon as I waved the growling torch overhead, the upper TC jumped immediately to 300F+! I backed the heat off enough so that the torch just stayed lit on it's own. With the flame about 8" away from the rotating beans, the air temperature can be kept in the 400s if you're carefully holding it. I had first crack rolling at 10:00 and second was just starting to snap at 14:00.

Initially I had the lid closed and shot the flame through the opening in the top where the heatgun usually rests, but the temp wanted to stay too high. With the lid lifted, it was easier to control the temp. I had about 5 French Roast beans, and probably a dozen or so with divots from the high heat. There's plenty of room for improvement, but it works if anyone is interested.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 10/12/2008 6:12 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

PeteH
You may be onto something Chad, I had wondered a couple of times if there were someway to use gas heat from above.

There are some types of propane torch heads made for soldering etc. that are lower heat and lower gas pressure than a torch head on a cylinder. They usually hook up with a regulator and hose to a 20# bottle. Maybe one of those might be easier to control?

You're an inventive type of a guy, never quit or slow down. (grin)
Pete

seedlings
i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/JTH7T_lg.jpg
--->BernzOmatic<---

This is the torch I used. It connects to the little coleman propane tanks, or the tanks you find in the plumbing aisle. I did get an adapter at the hardware store that will allow it to connect directly to the 25# gas-grill LPG tanks. For this test I just used the little coleman tank. It's fun to watch the chaff embers float around, a lot like a campfire. I like this method and will try it again if this Colombian tastes OK. Maybe next roast I'll do one of those bvwelch-esque home videos!

CHAD

*** edit: Here are three :10 videos of the BMT method!

Green: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NnOQ5B-m8[/video]

Drying: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T37e-cyuq5Q[/video]

First Crack: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2j2LuCxDF0[/video]

And here are the results, a City roast in 18:00. I was trying to be careful with the heat, and wasn't aggressive enough at the beginning. Hopefully not baked.
seedlings attached the following image:
BMT Coffee[1106].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 03/14/2012 8:18 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Jump to Forum: