Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How about smoked coffee?
opus
Anyone ever hear about it or try it? I'm firing up the smokehouse today for a bunch of other items. Wonder what smoked coffee would be like?

EddieDove
I assume they are very low but I'm not sure about smokehouse temperatures. I'm wondering if it would just dehydrate the bean. Coffee Jerky? :(
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

opus
Not a loss. Smoked some garlic, cheese, peppers, a chicken and a goat. :)

EddieDove
Shall I bring my own knife and fork? Grin

I have had goat before (a recipe from Ghana, I think) and it was quite the delectable dish!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

John Despres

EddieDove wrote:
I assume they are very low but I'm not sure about smokehouse temperatures. I'm wondering if it would just dehydrate the bean. Coffee Jerky? :(

How 'bout smoking the beans after a complete roast?
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
I've had a Jamaican goat stew recipe. It's out of this world! I loved it.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

EddieDove

John Despres wrote: How 'bout smoking the beans after a complete roast?

Hmmm ... What would you use? A corn cob, Dr Grabow ... ? How fine of a grind? :(
Edited by EddieDove on 11/06/2008 10:03 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

opus
I only cold smoke, so there is no issue with heat. I've read a little bit about doing it but not enough to tell me details.

Yes, bring your own fork and knife. ;)

EddieDove
First off, I know very little about the smoking process ... I did have a Weber smoker though ... and stay in a Holiday Inn Express once upon a time ...

I am curious how things might turn out if the marinade bowl was filled with a base of brewed coffee instead of water ... :(
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

seedlings
I say smoke it. Spiral slice it. Oh, and it's great on the second day with a little lettuce and mayonaise on rye bread...

Um, <uncomfortable> we're talking about smoking a ham, right? No?!?

For the last few weeks I've been using a propane torch to heat and the breadmaker to stir. On one occasion I was deep in a zero-brain-activity blank stare at the wall, when I came to and looked down to see a glowing red coffee bean swirling in with the brown ones. Somehow THAT one got extra hot. It gave a smoky flavor to the roast, but not really bad - it just added some complexity (is what I tell myself since it still tasted good).

I dunno about a REAL slow-roasted smoke. Unless... are you trying to make a side dish instead of a beverage?

Or... OR, feed the goat a steady diet of coffee beans from birth... see how he tastes then!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

opus
Chad....umm.......oooooook.

Kaffee Bitte
When you hear about"smoked" coffee, the FIRST thing you should do is NEVER return to the shop that is trying to sell you that "coffee" as "gourmet"!!!!!! If they are selling smoked coffee it means they are paying around $1.00-$2.00 a pound (at most) and selling it at specialty grade prices. They are SCREWING their customers, HARD!!! Also they have no idea what they are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smoking coffee means they are closing the smoke vent on their pro roasters, in order to make a low grade coffee palatable. Even the cheapest coffee you can find as a homeroaster will taste better (on your own setup) than anything that the "smoked" roasters can do.

Smoking coffee isn't going to get it to the proper temps at the proper times. Smoking meat is all about taking hours and hours and hours getting the meat to temp.

Roasting coffee is all about getting it to first crack within about 8-12 minutes (at most!) Better to get it to first within 10 minutes and stretch second until 13-15 minutes in.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

opus
Ahhhh....I was under the impression it was an after roast smoking....or before. I wasnt thinking it was done during roasting. I was thinking apple wood, alder, etc.

Alchemist
Mike McGuiness and I did a full suite of tests of smoked coffee at the PNWG VI. Pre-roast, post roast, double smoked.

Right this moment, I don't recall which was best of the smoked varieties were, but I do recall that the non-smoked control was the best of the lot. Every thing else just took away from the cup. We did it as a blind cupping, and it was virtually unanimous. IIRC, the pre-smoked was a bit acrid, and the double smoked was pretty good, but none made any of us want to do it again.

Real pity, given how we both adore smoked foods.

Jump to Forum: