Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite Green Coffee Vendors?
MPSAN
I agree, except that I do like his coffee. I wonder why he puts up with that site?
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

RobertL

ginny wrote:

if it's broken fix it...

I have zero tolerance for a business that does not care if you can get on their site or not.

-groar

I buy from Happy Mug often and I've never had a problem with their website. Maybe the problem doesn't affect everyone that visits the site. That might explain why they haven't fixed it.

JETROASTER
Coffee Shrub. Kin to Sweet Marias.
Today is SO shots of Colombia Inz? Veredas del Centro, through the Miele Super-auto
http://www.coffee...del-centro
Full City+ Bitter sweet cocoa up front as described. Long finish.
Splendid. Cheers, -Scott

....and the site works just fine

MPSAN
OH, the site works for me as well, but can be very slow to load and makes me think, sometimes, that it is hung...then it pops up.

ginny
look, I did not say I did not like his coffee what I said was I GET TIRED of not being able to buy so I GO SOMEPLACE else that has a web space that works...

I would actually buy more from him but his site makes it impossible for me...

ginny

party

allenb
I share the disdain of slower than optimum sites and hopefully he will address this in the near future.
What keeps me coming back regardless of the additional 4 seconds longer than average between clicks (your delay may vary), is his ability to source top tier excellent green coffee which is on par with most of the best I've cupped from other vendors charging an additional $1 to $2/lb.

My most recent order included the following: Rwanda Inzovu, El Salvador Siberia Pacamera, Papua New Guinea Waghi, Guatemala Acatenango.
All were, in my judgement, a minimum of a 88 rating or higher. After this order I ordered a variety of coffees from Burman. Service was excellent, shipping time was on par with the best, quality of cup was on par with Happy Mug but cost was around $1 more per lb than Happy Mug.

Hopefully Happymug will upgrade their internet capabilities in the near future but in the meantime, they will be my 1st choice.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

woodchuck
Another vote for Happy Mug here. My internet is so slow out here I would never notice a slow website anyways. Beats ordering by snail mail :-)
Cheers
Ian
Roasters: TJ-067, Hottop with TC4C and RAF Mods
Espresso: LaSpaziale VII/Macap M4 Grinder
Pour over: Bonmac Pro Cone
Press: Bodum

DiggerinVA
Well I am going to give them my vote, since for no other reason their shipping to me is very fast. About 2 days vs a week or so(everybody else I have tried). Besides I get another sip of coffee, while waiting. ;-) it is really not that slow.

ginny
they are good but I get timed out, if I manage to get stuff in my cart I get timed out to order and I lose all and I am simply tired of repeating over and over and over again.

ginny

DanN
I have tried sweet Maria's, happy mug and various other online green coffee retailers....but in my humble opinion, happy mug is the best for both quality n money...I really like the way Matt talks about each coffee and the roasting notes he shares are very educative for a home roaster.

allenb

ginny wrote:

they are good but I get timed out, if I manage to get stuff in my cart I get timed out to order and I lose all and I am simply tired of repeating over and over and over again.

ginny

I'm curious as to why some are finding huge delays/slowdowns while others get only a few seconds after a click. My wife tried on her computer which is on the same home wi-fi and she gets a much longer lag time. You would think as long as a given computer was operating normally that there wouldn't be such a disparity but does seem to be the case. I guess I'm fortunate that mine doesn't time out.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ginny
good question. I know it's their system as I have had mine tested all the way down the line and I have no problems or if I did it would have been addressed by now.

someplace down stream from his setup there is a problem and my guess is that:

if it happens to me and others it happens to many, many more who choose not to complain or comment and simply never go back after once or twice...

so he is losing business and it's too bad.

ginny

roar

MPSAN
I agree with DanN about his notes and he is the first source I have seen that warns you if he has seen stones!

I get 2 day shipping as well. I may have to try other suggestions as I usually get, and just ordered, Costa Rica, Ethiopian, Sumatra and Kenya. Never tried PNG.

MPSAN
We should do a trace route and see where the delay is...I will check mine now. I have a 50/50 FIOS connection, but it seems slower than most sites.

From a Windows command prompt I did a tracert www.happymug.com and it sure slows down once it hits San Francisco.

MPSAN
I did find that it does come up OK if I go to www.happymugcoffee.com. It does not time out but it takes a while. I wonder if he has issues with redirects from www.happymug.com?

Here is what I get...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert www.happymugcoffee.com

Tracing route to happymugcoffee.com [192.185.34.170]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

Here is where it slows down!

8 71 ms 72 ms 72 ms ae27.cs1.sea1.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.29.0]
9 72 ms 72 ms 97 ms ae3.cs1.sjc2.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.29.42]
10 72 ms 71 ms 72 ms ae2.cs1.lax112.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.28.145]
11 72 ms 73 ms 82 ms ae3.cs1.dfw2.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.29.52]
12 71 ms 71 ms 90 ms ae5.cs1.iah1.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.28.98]
13 71 ms 71 ms 71 ms ae27.cr1.iah1.us.zip.zayo.com [64.125.30.239]
14 72 ms 72 ms 72 ms xe-0-0-0.mpr1.iah81.us.zip.zayo.com [64.125.30.213]
15 71 ms 93 ms 71 ms 64.124.202.50.IPYX-120228-001-ZYO.zip.zayo.com [64.124.202.50]
16 72 ms 72 ms 71 ms 216.117.50.138
17 71 ms 71 ms 71 ms 192.185.178.174
18 71 ms 71 ms 71 ms 192.185.34.170

Trace complete.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
Edited by MPSAN on 07/30/2016 2:00 PM

DanN

ginny wrote:

you got a notice. he should perhaps send one to all the peeps he knows and those that do business with him instead of using you to let us know...

ginny

I am tired of old marketing and lazy business practice...

ginny

plus his site never works...
j

If you have subscribed to happy mugs email subscription, You would be getting regular emails. I get email news about promotions and any discounts in my emails
for the last 2 years.

coffeeroastersclub
Many times site issues have nothing to do with the site and everything to do with a bog in the pathway to the site. Somewhere along the line the path chosen by your ISP to the website is slow.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

MerlinWerks
No real issues here, initially the site is a little slower than most to load, but once I'm there it works fine...

snwcmpr
I have never had an issue with an order placed on Happy Mug.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

mitchulskus
It's been over a year since I last posted my thoughts on green vendors and I thought it might be worth while to update this thread with some more recent experiences. Here is my 2017 kickoff thoughts on green vendors.

I've now been roasting for about 2 years. While I started filling my pantry with 1-2 pound bags of different types of coffee, I've moved up to anything from 1-5 pound bags. I have enough people who like my coffee that it's not too tough to get rid of a bean that doesn't pan out if I get too much. But I've been pretty hesitant to buy 5 pound bags unless I know that I love it.

I also have become aware that the Whirley Pop roaster I'm using roasts peaberry beans much more evenly (problems when you don't have a drum roaster). So Kenyan coffees come in a ton of peaberry beans, which helps my consistency.

I find that my staple Country of Origins are: Kenya, Ethiopia, Panama, Colombia, Guatemala and Costa Rica. While I occasionally grab something outside of that group, 90% of everything I roast comes from one of these countries. Yes, I've tried many others, but keep coming back to those 6.

Knowing what I'm looking for, I've only bought coffee from 3 vendors in the past 12+ months:

Sweet Maria's: They get Africans better than anyone else. I'm not saying that another vendor won't have occasional outstanding offerings, but pound for pound I don't think you can do better. They seem to have spent more time in Central America the past year or so and I've gotten some great Colombia, Guatemala and Costa Rican beans from them also. They continue to be my goto vendor and they really care about home roasters and what's great about what we do.

Bodhi Leaf: I'm still getting beans from Bodhi Leaf, though I almost always prefer the Sweet Maria beans when stood up next to these. Prices are comparable, and sometimes they get in some solid offerings (including Panama).

Green Coffee Buyers Club: If you aren't a member you should be. There truly are some diamond in the rough beans that filter through this site. Yes, you usually have to buy in bigger lots, but I see really exotic and cool offerings come through here. And good beans usually go fast, 1-2 days for 130 pound bags. 2 of my 5 favorite beans of all time came from here.

I know when I started roasting these types of posts were very beneficial for me to plan on how to spend time looking for beans. Hope this helps and here's to another year of fantastic roasting!

Pat

ginny
Pat:

thank you for posting your update and I must agree with you that Sweet Maria has the BEST African and since they are my favorites, I buy 90% of my personal beans from Thom and Maria.

there are many good purveyors of coffee but my first experience with buying green beans came from Sweet Maria's in 2001 and they still give the best and most usable information about the beans they sell.

Thom goes and sources his beans from the farmers and provides them with decent prices for their beans.

I feel very fortunate with my relationship to Sweet Maria. I met Maria and Thom at a coffee gathering in Oregon around 2004 and fell in love with his family. Thom knows his beans and would never buy garbage to make a buck, plus you can buy a pound or 100 pounds...

I buy from 2 to 5-pound bags as I can taste some of the top 5% of the coffee on the market from Thom.

my problem is that when my five-pounder is gone and I am dying for another bag, it's gone... that's life, Pat.

I would encourage every member to post their favorite vendors as we coffee sluts are always looking for another gem, even if it is short-lived we gotta have it...

thank you again for posting and watch for our raffle coming up.

best,

ginny

roar

MPSAN
I still like Happy Mug. I never did buy from Sweet Maria's, but I must admit that when I wanted my first roaster, and asked them about the one I wanted, they strongly suggested that I get the FreshRoast SR500. This was well below the drum roaster I was thinking of. I have had great luck with it and may look at the descriptions of their coffee. One thing that I do like about HappyMug is he tells you if he finds small stones, etc. I always pass if I see that.

Have a great year everyone.

walt_in_hawaii
I think I would estimate I'm around 50/50 from Happy Mug (Matt is a great help there!) and Sweet Maria's. I have seen some interesting fliers from Bodhi and Green Coffee Buyers Club, but haven't taken the plunge. Reading the evaluations on both sites leaves me thinking the Happy Mug descriptions are a bit more on point than the SM ones, or else my sense of taste is a bit stunted compared to Thom's because I frequently don't taste the notes he finds; however, I've gotten great beans from both sites, so I tend to buy more by recognition of a prior good plantation's name and by region rather than a stunning recommendation. I think both have value, and they certainly don't mirror the same buying choices; I almost never see duplicate beans on both sites. I will continue to buy from both for this reason, there's certainly enough of us out there to support both sites comfortably.
aloha,
walt

MPSAN
Walt I agree, but I must admit that I like the way HappyMug is not afraid to tell you that he has seen some stones in some coffee. I stay away from them no matter how good they are supposed to be.

walt_in_hawaii
:)
when you have hundreds invested in a good grinder, and that grinder uses ceramic burrs (which can easily be permanently damaged by any small stones in your beans), I avoid any badly sorted coffees like THE PLAGUE. If I were using a cheap chopper grinder I wouldn't give a hoot. But consistency of grounds (size-wise) is another ghost we all chase.

Jump to Forum: