renatoa

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Why Home Roast?
Big B
I noticed on the home page this question is asked, but I find six blank answers... could be because there is not just one "right" answer but many reasons.

I started home roasting to try to match (or better) a blend my wife says is "the best coffee" there is, but now I do it more just because it is just really fun (am I weird?... then so is John D) & sometimes very rewarding as well.

Why do you?
It's only as good as you make it...

Koffee Kosmo
I just like it, simple as that

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

bvwelch
I got into homeroasting for two reasons: 1) I moved 50 miles away from the local roaster we had been buying from for 20 years. 2) I felt he was roasting too dark, and thought I could do better.

Nearly two years later: Well, I am still 50 miles away from the closest 'local' roaster, but--- Wow, I really appreciate how good he was, and how consistent he was. I'm not at all sure my roasts are better than his. :-) -bill

endlesscycles
Because I was certain coffee could be better than I was experiencing. That has been achieved time and time again, but I am still after the cup that is better than the one I am currently enjoying.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Clifford
Coffee roasting is a luxury that can afford and can share
May the Force be with your cup

seedlings
Coffee roasting involves all the senses Sight, Sound, Smell, Taste, Touch...

A hobby you can share with anyone.

It's inexpensive to start and maintain, unlike bowling or golf or shopping, or cars...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
I do it for the accolades. No really - I love it when someone goes weak in the knees tasting my coffee.

I do it because the rewards in my cup are outstanding.

I do it because I can continue to grow in my skills as my aspirations continue to grow.

I do it so I can hang out with the very cool folk at HRO.

I do it because Big B is weird like me.

But mostly I do it because it's fun.

YEEHAW!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings

John Despres wrote:
I do it because Big B is weird like me.

ThumbsUp

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

dja
I do it because my Cardiologist say's I should have more than one cup a day of the swill most people call coffee,

heck you drink four or five pots of good home brew and who needs anything elseRoflmao
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

jfrescki
Just recently started, but I do it because I can remember instances where I had a really good cup of coffee, but they were way too few and far between.

If you want something done right, do it yourself! B)

jfrescki
dja, your cardiologist wants you to drink more coffee!?!

John Despres
My doctor drinks coffee and does not frown on coffee consumption. He also drinks beer and does not frown that either. I like my doctor.

Except for that one moment every 5 years...
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

GregLee
My wife and I both like very strong very dark roasted coffee, and we had settled on as our favorite some beans Safeway called "Espresso Doppio". But then Safeway stopped carrying them. Very frustrating. Now, I can burn my beans up just as much as I want.
Greg

mldavis2
How about reasons NOT to home roast?

1) It doesn't save you any money because your coffee consumption will double to offset any cost savings in green bean price advantages.

2) Your home roasting increases electrical or propane usage so your energy bills will be higher.

3) You have to clean up the chaff every time you roast.

4) You have to wait (or should wait) several days after roasting for the beans to mellow before you can grind them, thus increasing frustration and stress levels.

5) Friends come around more often and spend some of your precious time drinking your coffee.

6) It's highly addictive, and there is no known antidote.
I love home roast!

iRoast2
Capresso Infinity
CCD, French press, Aeropress, TechniVorm

Ray T

mldavis2 wrote:
How about reasons NOT to home roast?

1) It doesn't save you any money because your coffee consumption will double to offset any cost savings in green bean price advantages.

2) Your home roasting increases electrical or propane usage so your energy bills will be higher.

3) You have to clean up the chaff every time you roast.

4) You have to wait (or should wait) several days after roasting for the beans to mellow before you can grind them, thus increasing frustration and stress levels.

5) Friends come around more often and spend some of your precious time drinking your coffee.

6) It's highly addictive, and there is no known antidote.
Not to mention the expensive coffee TOYS Grin

John Despres
Yep it's the toys. Especially soccer balls.:@
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Franco
I started home roasting because there was no local roaster and I needed freshly roasted beans to make espresso. Sure, home roasting is not as consistent or of the same quality as professionaly roasted beans - but for espresso it makes a huge differnce to have beans as close to the roast as possible (after de-gassing, of course).

If making espresso was not a priority for me, I doubt I would be a home roaster.

Jump to Forum: