renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Growing coffee at home
John Despres
Yesterday my wife stopped in at the plant store around the corner and found a coffee plant. She texted me some pictures of a very nice looking green beans on the plant and my interest was piqued.

As I've never seen a coffee plant with fruit I had to stop in and see it. The plant is about 2 years old, hydroponically grown, meaning it gets water only and is about 8-9 feet tall with a ton of green cherries on it.

I'll post pictures.

John
Edited by John Despres on 11/14/2010 9:02 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
I'm having difficulty adding pictures - I'll solve it later.

So I'm visiting with the guy and he tells me they harvested once and made moldy glop and got nothing out of the 'crop'.

I tasted one green cherry and it tastes like grass. Yuk...

We started chatting and he wants me to harvest and then process the fruit - Any ideas how that can be done at home? Keep in mind it's nearly winter and I live in Michigan. Then he wants me to roast 'em for them.

There were cherries in varying stages of growth. I dissected one and showed the guy, Gavin, the still soft seed. Pictures of that following, too, once I refresh my memory...

I do not have high hopes for quality coffee. The tree lives in a constant state of 72F and 92% relative humidity. It gets plenty of sunshine but does not undergo the warm days/cool nights coffee plants need. Even though they are feeding the tree with all the proper stuff to help it grow, is it enough to give the bean any sort of complexity? Terroir? Does it need dirt? I'm at a higher altitude here than some Hawaiian plantations, so I have no idea if that matters...

More soon.

In any event, he's made me a cutting which is rooting now and in a couple week I can take it home.

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Dan
The fruit is still green, unripe. When it ripens it should change color to red and the pulp will be sweet. It will look and taste a little like cherries, hence its name. I doubt that it will ripen in MI unless kept warm and well lit. Even then, it was grown at low elevation, so probably won't be good tasting, but will be fun.

You want to depulp the cherries first, then clean the seeds, let them air dry before roasting. See Uker's book for exact details.

Keep us posted, should be fun.

Ringo
I have a 10 inch high plant growing inside in ohio, I left it on the deck all summer. It will be a long time till I get a harvest but it makes a nice house plant.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

endlesscycles
There is this on SM's site:

http://www.sweetm...offee.html
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

jlyon10
Where did you get your tree? I had one but it died I think because I did not water it enough.
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans

Ringo
Mine was a Christmas gift. So I am not sure were it came from. I did a google and looks like you can get them through Amizon.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Jump to Forum: