Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello to all
Gregman
Hi, My name is Greg

Thank you for this great resource of collective knowledge on coffee roasting.
I am quite new to roasting, watched a few videos, read some on-line. Thus far I have about 10 batchs or more under my belt. Also I have not set anything on fire yet so.............. that must be good.

I am using a Air Crazy popcorn popper from West Bend (1040W). Dare I say its unmodifyed (Gasp)! Well its not been hacked into yet, but that's only a matter of time. For lighter roasts it works good but no esspresso yet. It just can't maintain the temps needed with out the safty removed.

However for a $20 roaster it works great because I love mild roasts anyhow. After a few batches my daily drinking coffee just got way better. Grin
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
John Despres
Welcome Greg! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Unmodified? Hmmm, I wonder how long that'll last... There's lots of help here for whatever you may want to do to it.

Thanks for joining us.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
JETROASTER
Welcome Greg,
If your 10 batches in, you're already hooked! You might just as well get your tools ready. Have fun, any question is worth asking.- Scott
ginny
Welcome Greg:

thanks for the introduction! tis a sad day when you learn to roast, madness begins!!

ginny
Edited by ginny on 06/23/2012 1:19 PM
Unta
welcome to the fray Gregman. have fun!
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
allenb

Gregman wrote:
Hi, My name is Greg

I am quite new to roasting, watched a few videos, read some on-line. Thus far I have about 10 batchs or more under my belt. Also I have not set anything on fire yet so.............. that must be good.

Well, then you obviously don't have enough power yet! We have members here that can fix you up with proper heating sources so flames are a cinch!Roflmao

Welcome to homeroasters!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
dja

allenb wrote:

Gregman wrote:
Hi, My name is Greg

Well, then you obviously don't have enough power yet! We have members here that can fix you up with proper heating sources so flames are a cinch!Roflmao

Welcome to homeroasters!

Allen

Yes Allen I think your right, no home roaster should be without scorch marks on the kitchen counter from flying flaming coffee beans (don't ask)
Ask your questions Gregman, and you shall receive..

David
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
seedlings
Oh, the peer pressure! Welcome to the forum, and if there's any way you can stay happy with what you have, DO IT Grin

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Unta

seedlings wrote:
and if there's any way you can stay happy with what you have, DO IT Grin

CHAD

If there is ever a post that CHAD's signature line could be more applicable, its that one..Grin
Though It will most likely be the only advice CHAD will give on this forum that you shouldn't take notes on.....

Take it apart, you know you want to...:P
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
John Despres
Go ahead and tinker. It's fun.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Ringo
Tinkering is a slippery slope, and just to warn you there are a few guys here that will give you a push over the hill.Grin But it is a fun ride.
Edited by Ringo on 11/27/2010 9:16 AM
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain
ginny
Oh Ringo,

well said.
am sure I can get a few souls to push others over he edge!!

gGrin
Koffee Kosmo
Tinkering is the mother of invention (not to be confused with the Frank Zappa band)

If it wasn't for my tinkering the clean roasting turbo oven design would not have been invented

I am now preoccupied with a palm frond/leaf shredder because there has to be a better way

Keep it up

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://forum.hom...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.
hazbean
A somewhat belated introduction ....

I'm from Adelaide at the bottom of Australia. I became addicted to coffee roasting about five years ago, soon after discovering real coffee. Prior to that, the morning ritual was to persuade our ancient espresso machine to disgorge a black liquid, drink it quickly, then swallow a previously prepared lemon juice to take away the taste. Then one wonderful day that machine died (actually it didn't, it was just playing dead but I decided to call its bluff). Aha I though here is the excuse to go out and get a real coffee machine. Which we promptly did. But now that had to be fed. I'd decided our new machine needed better than the mediocrity we'd been shovelling into RIP. I knew enough to track down some fresh locally roasted beans, and went about learning the art of espresso with that.

But very quickly I discovered that one could procure green beans, and that a variety of ways existed to make them brown. This was an epiphany moment. We found some green beans, but had nothing to roast them with. I'd read that you could use an oven. So I took an oven tray and punched about 300 holes in it (this was to allow airflow). Then made one layer of beans across the tray (didn't want to disturb them by opening the oven to stir them up). Then preheated the oven to 260C and put them in. And waited, A few minutes later there were two series of small explosions, less than a minute apart. I figured that was first and second crack. Fortunately, I got the blackened objects out before they ignited (I found out later that the oven dial read about 50C under). For the second batch, I thought it would be wise to "profile" the roast. So I preheated the oven to about 120, put the beans in, waited a while. bumped it up to 200, then to 220. This time the noises took a bit longer to arrive, and came a bit further apart. Anyway, that lot and a few more were quite nice, and we knew we had to keep going ....

Unfortunately 20g per batch is not enough, so the next step was a popper. My wife tracked down two at junk shops within a couple of days. And so it started, the slippery slope ... Through a couple of poppers and their mods, then to a breadmaker (Corretto). Then took the plunge and bought an iRoast2. This was fine for a while, but it wouldn't do things the way I wanted, it was too fast and no effective control. So I decide to do the infamous "resistor mod", took lots of measurements with different resistors, and finally got it to do rather nice 12 to 15 minute roasts. Then it died. As did a second.

For the last couple of years it's been a Gene Cafe, with which we are very pleased. I spent a lot of time trying different profiles, but for quite a while with low setpoint temperatures and fairly long roast times. These roasts were nice, but I thought they could be better. So I stumbled on the idea of running the roast hot to start with, getting quickly to 1C etc etc. Looking for more information on these sorts of profiles led me here, where I can see that a few experts have been exploring similar ideas for a while. Thanks to these people for their insights.

Another thing I've been particularly trying to do with the GC is get a nicely developed light roast. One path to that is to slow the early phase of the roast. This is where I've been slightly uneasy about the Gene -- I can dial in a low set point, but to maintain it, the GC sends out successive waves of very hot air (I've measured it at 320C at the heater outlet) and cold air. I'm not absolutely sure this is a problem, I 'm just uneasy about it. Anyway, when I read about the idea of putting a switchable dimmer in front of the heater, that could generate constant temp air at a desired level, I had to give it a try. After using it for a few months, I'm convinced that there is an improvement, but how often it would outdo a well designed profile on a normal GC I'm really not sure of. One day I may have the time to do some direct comparisons.

My wife also participates in this obsession -- last year, after realizing that we were going away travelling for a month in places where good coffee is unobtainable, she developed a technique using a gas stove, wooden spoon and the top part of a steamer that produced a couple of very nice (25 minute) Yemen roasts on our travels. And recently gave me for my birthday a Coffee-Tech baby roaster (FZ RR 700) which is quite a lot of fun.

In the time that I've been reading this forum, I've seen many enlightening and interesting threads, and a very civilized standard of discourse. I hope that I can occasionally contribute something useful.
seedlings
Hazbean, great story and introduction! I've yet to meet a member who couldn't add to the conversation, so keep your thoughts flowing.

G'day!
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Koffee Kosmo
Gday Hazbean
I have read many of your posts from here & other forums and that's the first time I have read about your roasting journey

You are credit to home roasters everywhere ThumbsUp

KK

Thundergod
Just joined; thought I'd better say hi.
Some of you know me already; the rest will get to.
I'll be reading for a while at first.
John Despres
Welcome, Thundergod.

Read & post, read & post. And have fun.

Thanks for joining.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Koffee Kosmo
Gday TG

Welcome friend
Its a pleasure to have you on board here on Home Roasters

I know that your general knowledge on all things coffee & especially the roasting of it will be invaluable to all.

I am sure, you will also take away some information from some great and knowledgeable members

KK

Gregman
Thanks for the warm welcome
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
Jump to Forum: