Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Modifying a Air crazy roaster
Gregman
Hello all,

I was looking for a little help modifying the popcorn roaster that I am using.
Not really looking to add more power at this time. I just want to separate the fan and element controls. Perhaps putting them on separate dimmer switches? Can I post pics here or will that eat up too much space?

I've seen some setups and pics on-line but nothing that is similar to this Air Crazy popcorn popper. It looks like the on off button could be split easy enough to gain control. I would also like to remove the safety fuse properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have a little but limited electronic training.

Thanks,
Greg
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
dja
yep, picture size is 500 X 500 with the resulation set lower than 92 I do belive.
post your message then go to edit and select browse find the photo on your computer and select it then click the SAVE CHANGES button to repost your message with the picture in it.

or you can stick you pictures someplace like photobucket or tiny pic
then paste in the urls then highlight the url
then click the picture button icon
Edited by dja on 11/29/2010 6:02 PM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
seedlings
Hey Greg. The Air Crazy should be similar to other poppers in threads around here... probably has a DC powered motor and a small heater coil that drops down the AC voltage. These are a little harder to split the heat and air flow, but it can be done. What would you like to improve in your popper roasts?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Gregman
Here are the guts to see what I'm talking about.
http://www5.snapf...=snapfish/

I want to gain control of the heat to slow the roast times. Large beans are really coming out great. Roasting to the start of first crack all the way through to second takes anywhere from 5-8 min. But it seems especially hard to roast small beans without control. I have been playing with the volume of beans in the popper since it's the only thing that can be controlled now.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Greg

edit: click-able link
Edited by John Despres on 11/30/2010 1:10 AM
greencardigan
Do you have a pic of the motor and circuit board?

I separated my popper's motor from the rest if the circuit by cutting some tracks on the circuit board. Then I connected a variable voltage laptop power supply to the motor. My poppers motor was 18V DC. This lets me run the fan faster than normal if required. More air = slower roast. I also pulse power to the heater with a solid state relay.
bvwelch
[ WARNING - lethal voltages and currents inside a Popper - be careful and ask a friend who's good with electrical wiring to help - keep one hand in your pocket at all times ]

I was only able to view the 1st page but it kinda looks like a Poppery2. Do you see a small circuit board with 4 diodes - perhaps mounted directly on the smallish motor?

If so, like CHAD said, you can probably run the motor separately with a low DC or AC voltage, like 0 to 30 volts at about 2 amps. For the heat, you can use a 'router speed control' - about $10 on sale at Harbor Freight.

Again, assuming similarity to the Poppery2, if you don't want to lose the roughly 100 watts from the 'secondary heater', you can short/jumper the wires you removed from the motor together.
Edited by bvwelch on 11/30/2010 8:57 PM
Gregman
Thank you for the warning. I play with kilo-volts for a living.

I've done some electric work on cars and my brother is an electrician.
But I would rather not get him involved yet b/c he will make it more complicated than it needs to be. ;)

Ok letís see if this works.

http://www5.snapf...=snapfish/

If not I'll post the images here.
Gregman
Ok, nothing like answering my own question.

I just realized this thing has a thermometer attached to the popcorn cup. The thermometer trips the heat to the main coil if the temperature goes over 400F. So, I just disconnected it and put the + - wires on a 3M switch so I can control the heat. It works pretty well too. Now at lease we have control of the heat. I can finally slow the roast down above 2-3 min. The resulting coffee tastes more complex and less bright, maybe itís my imagination? For easy of hack, I would recommend this model popcorn popper! The whole process only took about an hour and little know-how on my part.

Now to get a temp probe and PID it!!!!
Greg
crookedtree
So I just got into the wonderful world of coffee roasting... I bought an Air crazy and immediately tried roasting my first batch of green beans. Success!! The coffee turned out pretty good. I noticed a correlation between the smell of the roasting and the taste of the cup. I needed more control over the roast profile, so I added a digital thermometer into the roast chamber and a switch into the circuit to manually turn on and off the main heating element. My 2nd batch of coffee is resting from the roast ... the smell is INCREDIBLE.... :) OK, now I'm hooked. I need more control over the roast profile! I'd like to add a switch that'll turn the secondary smaller heating coil on and off and I would like to control the fan speed with a dimmer switch....

Would I be able to remove the two wires going to the fan's circuit board and connect them to a switch (thereby being able to turn the secondary coil on and off)

Would I be able to remove the circuit board from the fan and connect a power supply to a dimmer switch to the fan (allowing for fan control)

Any thoughts are very appreciated....

More pictures than you'll ever want to see here...
(I'm working on the video to document this adventure)

http://web.me.com...1/Aircrazy
dja
if your far enough into tthis maddest, and from what I read and see in your pictures you have the skills and tools, so yes to all your questions you can split the fan off run it off a sepreate power supply with a pot for control, and have both heating elements switchable. the small heating element is in the popper to drop the 110 to 12 volts and it is switched from ac to dc with the diode bridge on the back of the fan motor,

Do a little digging and you will find plenty of information here at homeroasters about moding the air popper.

have fun with you journey into this maddest that most sane people call caffine addiction.

David
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
Jump to Forum: