Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Making it hard to breath
Gregman
Hello all,

I am roasting in small batches 1-2 oz at a time.

How necessary is it to vent the wonderful smells from a roast of coffee?
Is there any danger in breathing in these fumes or known carcinogens?

I don't care if it does stick up the whole house I love it!!
Greg
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
dja
well if you listen to the people in california everything we do causes cancer, even the electricy that we use to roast coffee with.

unless its impossible I would roast outside and not always in the house you will find that the smoke from coffee will stick to everything it touches.

DJA
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
jlyon10
I was wondering if the fumes contained caffine? I like smelling my coffee roasting but I do it outside.
Jim Lyon
Jim's Coffee Beans
John Despres
I think I've seen studies that show there are trace amounts of caffeine in the smoke.

Smoke in any form is not good for the lungs; tobacco, campfire whatever. Just be careful. At your 1-2 ounce batches, I don't think you have anything to worry about. But scientifically, I have no idea.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Unta
caffinated fumes......I'm off to the drawing board..:eye-popping:

I think you have more to worry about walking around any major city, then your coffee roaster.
though as David said, not much in this world isn't a little bad for you.

sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
seedlings
Well, who around here has been roasting and inhaling longest? Let's ask them how they feel.

Me? I love the smell too, but can't say about any risk.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
JETROASTER
I don't want to be an alarmist but...
Although I haven't logged it, it seems that a heavy roasting schedule does make me snore!
I don't know if it's the smoke or simply being more tired from the extra hours.

The caffiene; about 2 years ago, National Geographic did a good bit on caffiene. I remember someone mentioned the roasters at Charbucks taking a swipe of white 'fuzz' off the roaster and eating it. It is supposedly caffiene.
I do have white fuzz on my exhaust port, but I am older now, and no longer simply ingest things on a whim.

Any chemists in the crowd? I'll send a sample.
-Scott
endlesscycles
I regularly roast 8-10 5lb batches per session. My exhaust is only okay (not an exciting thing to upgrade), so sometimes the place gets a little cloudy. I doubt it's worse than hanging around a campfire, and certainly not as bad as the occasional cigarette I may enjoy. However, I definitely have a very hard time getting to sleep after such monster sessions.

As far as a 2ounce batch goes, that can be no worse than making toast.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
Unta

endlesscycles wrote:
However, I definitely have a very hard time getting to sleep after such monster sessions.

I can attest to this also.
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
JETROASTER
My non-scientific hunch is that my culprit is not the smoke, but rather the chaff and dust.
I had a 1/16 hole that I used to 'sniff' the load. Early in the roast, air coming thru irritated my eyes.
It reminded me of baling hay.
Currently, I've got the smoke pretty well under control, but only the roaster gets exhausted, not the the room. the initial puff of dust (reload) stays in the room.
Maybe I'll try a mask for a couple weeks, see what happens. -Scott
ginny
Be very careful what you say about California and I am only a fifth generation
Californian.

Look out when my Granny Morgan gets a hold of you!! Her grandmother, my great, great grandmother came around the horn to San Francisco! Can you imagine that trip. WOW is all I can say.

Here's to the coffee they brewed/boiled!!

ginny Grin
Randy G
Coffee roasting smoke contains particulate matter. Studies show that fine particulates get very deep into the lungs and have the potential to stay there for a year or more. Additionally, this is cumulative.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.
Gregman
That's very interesting......

Could you post a link or reference to these studies?

Thanks for the info everyone,
Greg
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
SteveN
I think there have been quite a few of these studies. I forget how small the particulate needs to be to get into the alveoli but generally speaking the smaller they are the worse they are for you. I have no idea how large particulate matter is coming off a roast.

That said, roasting small quantities is unlikely to have a negative health impact in the short term. Continuous or daily exposure to fine particulates could take their toll.

my $0.02.
John Despres

Gregman wrote:
That's very interesting......

Could you post a link or reference to these studies?

Thanks for the info everyone,
Greg

Hi, Greg.

Any research on smoking or smog or second-hand smoke will offer what you need. Smoke is smoke and the lungs don't like it. Not sure if there's a specific study about coffee smoke, though.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
Jump to Forum: