Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
When slowing down is a good thing
Gregman
Hello everyone,

I read here that Central American coffees really benefit from slowing the roast down. There seams to be great discussion about how long a roast should take.
When in the roast cycle do you like to slow it down? For what coffees do you do this? What point in the roast cycle would you say this is critically necessary?

Thanks, Greg
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!
JETROASTER
Hi Greg, What are you roasting with? My first general answer would be that slowing down between 1st and 2nd is working well for me. -Scott
John Despres
Well, Willem Boot suggest slamming on the brakes before 1st crack. Me, I usually drop 30F or so within :30 of start of first.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
randytsuch
I like to extend the time between first crack and the end of roast (I don't always get to 2nd) to 3 or 4 minutes. This is the critical time for flavor developement during a roast.

Depending on the type of roaster you are using, you may need to start slowing down before first, to get the 3 or 4 mins after first.

Randy
Gregman
I am roasting with an extra getto pop corn popper.
But I do have control over the heating element.

Just curiuos to see what others do.
endlesscycles
Is it the critical time for flavor development, or is it the final temperature you want to reach the center of the bean while not overcooking the outer?
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
seedlings

Gregman wrote:
I am roasting with an extra getto pop corn popper.

Killer awesome. Do you have separate control of heat and airflow?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
Unta
MAn, i had a mistake the other day with a colombian and had a stall around 330, the comparison to the typical was much sweeter..not sure or dunno as john usually says...i guess really, Ive been having fun making mistakes and drinking them, fortunately i have been recording everything, so i might be able to reproduce my mistakes. :) have fun gregman, ghetto rules!
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
Gregman
Yes I have some control, two buttons. One for the fan/inner element and one for the outer element. Since the inner element does not throw much heat it might as well be off. So I can slow the roast at any time.

I know what you mean about mistakes. We did an new bag of Ethiopia Amaro Gayo organic for the first time (man those are small beans). Burned and scorched it all up in like 2.5 min. and lightly into first crack. After looking at the beans we almost tossed then. Brewed it up the next day and it tasted like blueberry fields forever. I've roasted that coffee ten times now and can't get that same flavor!!
Jump to Forum: