Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Got Guji Oromo? Want Sidama Bonko or?
bengreen
Hey there,

I got 5# of the Bonko and only 1 of the Guji O WP (both from SM), and wish to heck I'd done the opposite. (I'm going to give it another try, but preliminary results with the Bonko were disappointing whereas I love the Guji O).

I'd be willing to do 1.5 for 1 (or 3 for 2, even).

Other trade bait I can dangle (all three were from Caf? Bonito in Eugene):
Josuma AA Monsooned Malabar (it's great, but I'm jonesing for Oromo!)
Sumatra Mandheling (OG, FT)
Emerald Mist Espresso Blend (OG, FT)

or possibly some Kenya Kirinagi Gachami Peaberry (SM), or . . . ?

All the Bonitos (aka coffeewholesalers.com; no longer doing business but I wish he would) were purchased early July of last year and have been stored in our dry basement either sealed in plastic bags or in tins.

The SM was purchased late February this year.

Thanks!

Ben

allenb

bengreen wrote:
Hey there,

I got 5# of the Bonko and only 1 of the Guji O WP (both from SM), and wish to heck I'd done the opposite. (I'm going to give it another try, but preliminary results with the Bonko were disappointing whereas I love the Guji O).

I'd be willing to do 1.5 for 1 (or 3 for 2, even).

Other trade bait I can dangle (all three were from Caf? Bonito in Eugene):
Josuma AA Monsooned Malabar (it's great, but I'm jonesing for Oromo!)
Sumatra Mandheling (OG, FT)
Emerald Mist Espresso Blend (OG, FT)

or possibly some Kenya Kirinagi Gachami Peaberry (SM), or . . . ?

All the Bonitos (aka coffeewholesalers.com; no longer doing business but I wish he would) were purchased early July of last year and have been stored in our dry basement either sealed in plastic bags or in tins.

The SM was purchased late February this year.

Thanks!

Ben

The Guji looks to be very intriguing from SM's writeup.

This coffee has a very distinct flavor profile with sweet spice notes, paired with tea, flowers and fruit. Keep your roasts to a fairly tight range of City to City+, since going dark on this coffee seems to obscure it?s prime attributes. From the dry grounds, jasmine-violet floral scents are clear, as well as ginger and dark honey. Light roasts have a graham cracker wet aroma. City+ level has even more violet blossoms, more honey sweetness, maple syrup on pancakes with sweet spice notes of ginger, cinnamon and cardamom?.AND gingerbread! While the cup has a distinct sweetness, it is restrained; not a full, round sweetness. In fact it seems moderated by slightly bracing, tannin tea-like notes (Earl Grey). The body is fairly light, with a waxy mouthfeel and a suggestion of walnut oil. It?s a very aromatic, delicate and distinct cup. It?s not a powerful or aggressive coffee. Over-roast it, or, heaven forbid, add cream to it, and you can kiss that unique character
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

bengreen

allenb wrote:
The Guji looks to be very intriguing from SM's writeup.

I was intrigued enough to get some, now I am awed having tasted it. And disconsolate that SM is sold out.

I can't claim to have picked up a single one of the tastes Tom lists (walnut oil; that's a new one!), but the whole package--whatever it contained--was a delight.

Now watch: The next time I roast it, a "meh!" ;-)

endlesscycles
The Bonko is clearly the better coffee, IMO.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Third Crack
I second the praise of the Bonko. I have had great results at City and City+ (haven't gone any further yet). It's one of the better beans I have roasted recently.

Jump to Forum: