04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,223
Newest Member: Paul Kalb

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
so adventures
yantacaw
anyone care to share the development of your taste for single origin coffees once you started roasting at home? i ask because, for me, it is a really delightful, ongoing trip.

as with so many other interests in my life, i tend to often start from the outside, so to speak, and work my way in. for instance, the classics columbians and the so-called delicate centrals didn't really take hold for me until well after the one two punch of more dominant flavors of choice africans or funky beans of the beautiful, vast archipelago of southern hemisphere - the funky papuas & indonesians.

curious also to hear from others about whether you tend to roast across a range of profiles or if your preferences are for lighter or darker roast. while i no doubt try to play to a bean's inner strengths, i know that when i first started roasting, i tended towards lighter roasts partially because i was, well, afraid of going too far and partially because i wanted to achieve what i had been building up in my mind after absorbing the literature on origin character and lighter roasts. with darker roasts coming to dominate as an expression of specialty coffee vis a vis starbucks and their kinfolk, the desire to unite the thought of how coffee could taste with a new avocation seemed to make the prospect of lighter roasts all the more attractive.

these days, as mentioned, i truly am all over the place. i try to listen to others experiences with a bean but i also try to experiment quite a lot more than i think i was comfortable with.

JETROASTER
My personal preference is for a light roast...if the bean has something to offer in that range.
Generally city+ for alot of WP, lighter for the DP. But I'll experiment all over the place...just to see what happens.
The only thing I blend is espresso, so it's nearly all a SO adventure for me.

I'm coming to realize that it is not me making great coffee. The coffee was likely already great....it's up to me to NOT ruin it!! -Scott

jkoll42

freshbeans wrote:

I'm coming to realize that it is not me making great coffee. The coffee was likely already great....it's up to me to NOT ruin it!! -Scott

Perfectly said!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

yantacaw

freshbeans wrote:
My personal preference is for a light roast...if the bean has something to offer in that range.
Generally city+ for alot of WP, lighter for the DP. But I'll experiment all over the place...just to see what happens.
The only thing I blend is espresso, so it's nearly all a SO adventure for me.

yes, well said. i really haven't even gotten to a place of intentionally blending with a few exceptions. i simply feel that there is too much to explore out of any one given bean to go that route and the last thing i want to do is muddle the character of coffees. i expect that at some point, i will venture down that path but nothing is beckoning at this point.

usually, there is one mason jar that gets the left over grinds - bits here and there - that i reserve for my inlaws who put so much milk and artificial sweetener in their coffee that it doesn't matter what's in the cup to them as long as it's dark and has caffeine.

ginny
Yantacaw: only name I have for you thus far!

I try/use/brew/swill every bean I get as a single origin espresso regardless of it's origin.

I prefer a mid to darker roast because I think lighter roasts take too much time to develop into anything!

here again taste takes the prize for each of us. our taste buds are so different.

the Africa beans, to me, are the best on the planet. these greens roast and have more flavor then any other. they will develop a wider range of flavor.

I do roast across the board and try all kinds of greens and do end up with Africa bean as a favorite overall.

a great way to try a really good variety of greens is to every 4 months or so grab a pack of Sweet Maria sampler's. I have been surprised by some I have had that i personally never would have purchased in a SM buy for my personal beans.

Must mention that all of my personal greens, those I roast for myself, come from Sweet Maria with the exception of a few of our green sales here by members.

a mid to darker roast yant does not mean I am in the charbucks realm of only charcoal beans.

taste is so individual. what we see is also very potent. when I see a very light roasted bean I feel sorry for the little green bean that could!!!

ginny

thanks for joining us!Shock

yantacaw

ginny wrote:

a great way to try a really good variety of greens is to every 4 months or so grab a pack of Sweet Maria sampler's. I have been surprised by some I have had that i personally never would have purchased in a SM buy for my personal beans.

Must mention that all of my personal greens, those I roast for myself, come from Sweet Maria with the exception of a few of our green sales here by members.

a mid to darker roast yant does not mean I am in the charbucks realm of only charcoal beans.

taste is so individual. what we see is also very potent. when I see a very light roasted bean I feel sorry for the little green bean that could!!!

ginny

thanks for joining us!Shock

happy to be here. sweet marias are are one of my two go to sources for beans and i love the nicely discounted opportunity to sample different coffees that they have.

i also buy from burman coffee traders and have always had a good experience with them. there are others i'm sure i would try but i feel fairly well taken care of with these two.

i, too, am a big fan of all good african greens - i have not, however, ever cupped sub par offerings as i'm sure others here who are in the distro game have. i've passed on kenyas this year as a result of the price hikes and i do miss those. i should say (again?), however, that i've had great pleasure in getting to know the delicate centrals - el salvador montecarlos was a summer favorite here.

i like a full bodied darker roast as well and you're right to point out that the set up time is not nearly as long as a lighter roast. i usually try to order at least 2 pounds of a coffee so i have a little room to get to know the bean and try it at different roast points.

Jump to Forum: