Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
*$ goes Blonde?
DavidG
So, is Starbucks admitting that they burned the coffee?
http://seattlest....d_step.php

Cheers,
David
Edited by JETROASTER on 10/19/2011 8:23 AM
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)
JETROASTER
Desperation is a stinky cologne. -Scott
seedlings
Where's the side-by-side macro of the beans?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
DavidG
Same beans. The Marketing Department simply changed the white-balance for the slicks and press releases. Grin

We'll see if it tastes any different.

On the other hand, maybe we won't. New microroaster/cafe just opened -- 2 miles from work. I walked in and asked for a shot and "whatever you have in drip".

He said,"the shots are pulled short. And, on drip we have La Minita."

so, why would I want a blond brew by the mermaid?

DG
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)
Unta
The micro roaster will eventually take bigger and bigger chunks out of the $bucks. Freshness will always be their demise.
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.
endlesscycles
It's obviously a stab at 3rd wave.... I feel like in a very clever and calculated way they are trying to discredit good coffee.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
JETROASTER
With the signature dark roast no longer offering a big marketing advantage ....and the brands total loss of exclusivity, I think breadth of market is the only real course. I'm surprised it took this long. It's seems about 5 years late.
....and probably too late to embrace the 3rd wave....Stumptown beat them to it!
....To their credit, at least this 'big idea' involved coffee ...not paninis, or music or furniture
My 2, -Scott.
Edited by JETROASTER on 10/19/2011 7:35 PM
allenb

freshbeans wrote:

....To their credit, at least this 'big idea' involved coffee ...not paninis, or music or furniture
My 2, -Scott.

Actually, I was anxiously waiting for the paninis so this is a let down.:|
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
seedlings

endlesscycles wrote:
It's obviously a stab at 3rd wave.... I feel like in a very clever and calculated way they are trying to discredit good coffee.

You're onto something. If they, the Supreme Leader in all things coffee, make a light roast and it tastes bad, then they can officially say, "see - we had it right to begin with. You light-lovers are wrong and we are right."
Roflmao

CHAD
JETROASTER
My understanding/perception of third wave revolves around being farm and crop specific. Many of these farms produce relatively small crops.
So here's my question. Can a *$ or some other Goliath engage that product?
It seems they wouldn't have enough of most crops to cover the chain of stores.
We've got 'em on the ropes!!Grin -Scott
endlesscycles

seedlings wrote:

endlesscycles wrote:

You're onto something. If they, the Supreme Leader in all things coffee, make a light roast and it tastes bad, then they can officially say, "see - we had it right to begin with. You light-lovers are wrong and we are right."
Roflmao

CHAD

That's pretty much what I was thinking. They gave it a name that has negative connotations in both espresso and sexist jokes, they set it up for failure by misrepresenting the best quality of a Vienna roast, which is body. Like it or not, they have the largest share of the market...so I suspect they don't want to loose people back to the local shops they've taken from.

"I go to Starbucks, of course...because I'm a real coffee geek. I tried this whole light roast thing from the folks who know coffee, and it wasn't very good. What I really want now is a venti macchiato with extra caramel to wash that soapy flavor down."
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
Unta

freshbeans wrote:
My understanding/perception of third wave revolves around being farm and crop specific. Many of these farms produce relatively small crops.
So here's my question. Can a *$ or some other Goliath engage that product?
It seems they wouldn't have enough of most crops to cover the chain of stores.
We've got 'em on the ropes!!Grin -Scott

I think your assessment is right on the money(pun intended). Both in motive and your take on third wave.
They cant compete in the third wave movement due to size alone. Inconsistency would be a huge problem for them as a brand. My guess is they are after the DD crowd I don't think the care what their perception is amongst the specialty coffee geek (third wave conscious) crowd, so long as the stock continues to rise.
Sean
Edited by Unta on 10/20/2011 8:02 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.
JETROASTER
These new products are certainly engineered for the grocery aisle. I wouldn't expect them to have much play at the brink n mortar stores....it's likely a slightly different customer.
I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but rolling out a product on that scale is pricey stuff. There are cheaper ways to kill a product.
.....However, with the arrogance that company has shown, I wouldn't put it past them. Who knows, if it was the plan to kill instant coffee.....they did a pretty effective job!

Light roast gets some grocery sales...I think they seriously want a piece of that action. Or at least the share-holders do.

I think micro-lots will remain the domain of micro-roasters. Goliath will do well to not speak of it.

-Scott
Unta

freshbeans wrote:

I think micro-lots will remain the domain of micro-roasters. Goliath will do well to not speak of it.

-Scott

^^^ This.
Edited by Unta on 10/21/2011 12:32 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.
endlesscycles
Totally. at 1,000lbs/month, I'm at a point where microlots are a challenge to market effectively before they are gone. Looking at Counter Culture, basically a Goliath...they do incredibly well at marketing not-so-microlots as if they were... so there's hope for S'ucks.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
JETROASTER
I think they(*$) took a real stab at it with the "Black Apron" program.
The program didn't exactly set the world on fire. Of course, why would it...they burnt all the beans beyond any recognition.
Now that may have been a conspiracy!
"Why buy estate coffee??? it tastes just like the other stuff!!!"
-Scott
endlesscycles

freshbeans wrote:
I think they(*$) took a real stab at it with the "Black Apron" program.
The program didn't exactly set the world on fire. Of course, why would it...they burnt all the beans beyond any recognition.
Now that may have been a conspiracy!
"Why buy estate coffee??? it tastes just like the other stuff!!!"
-Scott

You have a point. I have a friend who's farm was featured as a "black apron" offering. Great for him, but I can assure you it wouldn't have mattered much who roasted it.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC
JETROASTER

endlesscycles wrote:
...they do incredibly well at marketing not-so-microlots as if they were...

Yeah, that's true.

I remember a younger version of myself (12-15 yrs ago) being impressed by 'La Minita Estate'. (it was actually very nice coffee.)
They never mentioned how gigantic this estate was. With just a few carefully chosen phrases, it's easy to let the consumer fill in the blanks.

Is there any official criteria for "micro-lot"?
-Scott
seedlings
Here's their latest:

http://www.starbu...amily/1135

Veranda is from "latin america" says cocoa and nutty
Willow is from "latin america and east africa" says "bright, crisp flavor and subtle complexity" (whatever that means)

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 01/12/2012 8:23 AM
farmroast
Heard there are free cuppings of their 3 roast levels jan. 12-14
Here's their poll on who likes which level
http://roast.star...com/en-us/
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/
Jump to Forum: