Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
oooo - aeropress
jedovaty
I just got an aeropress.. woah! Thank you Ben G. for noting in another thread it was good with the rwanda group-buy bean.

Methinks I've found my silver bullet! It has bested my cafetino balance brewer, but only because it's so much quicker and easier to clean. Boo yah! I'm still not decided on whether I like espresso (reminds me the first time I tried olives), and both french press and pour over/drip are not really my cup of tea. I tried cold brewing once, it was okay, but maybe I didn't do it right.
Edited by jedovaty on 03/02/2012 11:58 AM

DavidG
Jedovaty,

Be sure to see all the good stuff you can do with an AeroPress at www.brewmethods.com. I love the AP, too. These days, I am using the Coava disk and am "inverting."

Cheers,
David
Edited by DavidG on 03/02/2012 12:30 PM
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

jedovaty
Cool, nice link! I'm doing it inverted, too -- I thought this was how you were supposed to brew it, didn't read the directions carefully and realize it was considered an alternative method, hah. Going to stick with paper filters for now, they work :)

JackH
Another inverted Aeropress user here. I started out the regular way then last year used the inverted method with a coarser grind (french press) and longer extraction time after stirring. Makes a very smooth cup and does work well with the Rwanda beans.

I use the paper filters too.

BenGeldreich
Inverted paper and metal disk Aeropress user.

Thanks David for the http://www.brewme...hods link! I hadn't seen that before and enjoyed reading through the different methods.

I have been currently using Gwilym Davies method.

Edited by BenGeldreich on 03/03/2012 12:11 AM
--------

Ben

Turbo Oven Roaster w/ Variac, TC4Cw/ Bourbon | Bezzera Strega | Baratza Vario Grinder | Yama 5 Cup Syphon | Aeropress

ginny
funny I never thought of it as inverting the press simply a better way to extract
flavor from beans.

always done it that way...

-g

troposcuba
just got mine in the mail yesterday. 3 presses through it now (I drank 2 and gave one to a co-worker who filled the cup with a ton of dry creamer and sugar! ArghShock) Inverted method here as well. I can't really see why anyone would do it the other way. oh and I use the metal disk filter so far. Might try the paper filters that came with it for a comparison tomorrow. I agree, good stuff for sure. I drank one cup straight and STRONG! Diluted the second one for a normal cup. It was gooooood too.
Sean

smatty1
Love mine. Think I'll break it out this weekend!

Army Coffee
Just got mine in the mail today...15min later I had coffee! Loved it and classify it in the same but different category as my Mokapot. I used the paper filter...didn't know there was a metal one!:@

Loved it and excited about the fact that I will have great coffee on the road!!!
Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

shsesc
Do most people press all the way or stop at the hiss?morning

JackH

shsesc wrote:

Do most people press all the way or stop at the hiss?morning

I usually press all the way until it can't go further.

shsesc

JackH wrote:

I usually press all the way until it can't go further.

I do too, but watching all the brewing method videos on the site linked above lots of them say stop at the hiss, but I haven't noticed any bitterness when pressing all the way vs stopping at the air gap.

shsesc
I was also wondering if the black piece that holds the filter on is supposed to be domed slightly. Mine is bowed out slightly.

MikeWI
yeah, a lot of the experts say that you stop when it starts hissing to prevent bitter oils from getting into the coffee. I don't have a super refined pallet, but none the less I call BS. I press every last bit out and see no difference in flavor.

I normally use a moka pot, but for lighter roasts, the AP produces a better brew, so it all depends on what I'm drinking!

The filter holder should be flat. If it's bowing outward, you're using way too much pressure! I use a somewhat finer grind than I should and sometimes the plunger doesn't always seem like it's moving and there's a great temptation to bear down on it. I've found that if I place a finger against the joint between the plunger and the body, I can feel that it's moving even if it doesn't look like it is. Helps a lot with keeping my patience!

rustic_roaster

shsesc wrote:

I was also wondering if the black piece that holds the filter on is supposed to be domed slightly. Mine is bowed out slightly.

Mine is flat, but I dont think it being slightly domed should be an issue unless it is to the point that grounds can get past the edge of the filter.

The first few times I used it I did it according to direction and got acceptable results. I now do the inverted approach and use hotter water and like the coffee better. My water is hotter but still cooler than the 200 degree ideal temp for drip coffee, anyone using the ideal 200 degree water temp? How was the results and did you notice any bad side effects on the press like cracks or anything?

shsesc

MikeWI wrote:

yeah, a lot of the experts say...

The filter holder should be flat. If it's bowing outward, you're using way too much pressure! I use a somewhat finer grind than I should and sometimes the plunger doesn't always seem like it's moving and there's a great temptation to bear down on it. I've found that if I place a finger against the joint between the plunger and the body, I can feel that it's moving even if it doesn't look like it is. Helps a lot with keeping my patience!

It's a very slight bow, just enough that the assembled unit will wobble a little if placed filter holder down. I don't think I did it since I can't push it back it's very hard plastic (feels like if I used enough force to move it back I'd break it). I first noticed it using the Kaffiologie S filter, it seems to pull at the screen a little. I don't think hot water softened the plastic because I measure the temp and until today I used 185-190F water for brewing. Today I went to 195 and inverted for the first time.

I only really pressed hard on one brew where I ground way too fine and I think I clogged the paper filter. I didn't get it all the way down, I had to remove and re-stir to get the grounds away from the filter.

I may contact Aerobie and see if they can sell me just a filter holder since I don't want to damage my screen filter.

shsesc
They sell the filter head for $9.97+.99 S+H, I'll just buy another Aeropress for $24 with free 2 day shipping and be able to have one for home and one for travel and only use the paper filters with the old one.

My first one didn't come with a tote bag and the box was just plain cardboard with the name on it. Seems SM sells them with a fancy box that makes all sorts of crazy claims, I guess I'm better off for not knowing the espresso claims, I never tried to make espresso with it, didn't think I could get to 17Bar even if I stood on it..

ginny
would agree that simply buying a new one is the best course of action here...

aeropress rules.

ginny

MikeWI
I should have mentioned that I started bowing out mine when I was learning how to use it. I know it started out flat, and I only hand wash it, so I blame my heavy hands :) It still works fine, so I wouldn't worry about it. The holder uses 3 wedges to tighten it down against the body, so it should seal fine no matter what. Mine does anyway.

Jason Wright
I'm glad this thread is here! I'll check out the video link. I've never had good aeropress coffee--to me, it always tastes like watery, poorly-extracted espresso made with a cheap, home espresso machine.

Jason

MikeWI
I like it a lot. You can vary the grind as well as the quantity to get the brew you want. I've found I can use 2 scoops instead of 3 and get the same coffee for instance. The metal filter will also go far towards improving the body and flavor. The paper traps a little too well.

Erst Kaffee
My first cup of coffee from the Aeropress that I just got is absolutely outstanding. Leaves the stove top Bialetti Moka Pot I use in the dust as far as quality of the cup. Regarding ease of use, the Moka pot wins.

My first impressions of the first cup and brewing with the Aeropress:

1. The flavor is superb. So much better than the Bialetti Moka Pot results I get. I am using a fine grind and water between 165 and 175 as recommended by the manufacturer. I really can't describe how much I'm enjoying the coffee from the Aeropress. It's fantastic.

2. Hard for me to use. The Aeropress uses downward pressure and for me it is an uncomfortable amount. I'm going to put a book or something over the top of the plunger to ease the pressure of the plunger on the palm of my hand. I have a harder time than most because of chronic delayed pressure urticaria.

I searched high and low and only one shop in town carried the Aeropress. This shop, Zucchini and Vine and downtown Chico CA is self described as the premier place in town for cooking and entertaining.

It was the last of 6 shops I searched and the previous 5 shops had all sorts of manual coffee brewers, Chemex, Moka Pot, French Press, you name it. Not an aeropress in sight or a sales person who had heard of one till I got to Zucchini and Vine.
Bialetti Moka Pot, Aeropress, Gene Cafe Roaster, Hario Skerton Grinder as it came, and Kyocera CM-50 with Orphan Espresso bearing upgrade for medium and coarse grind, Orphan Espresso Pharos

Erst Kaffee
If I get the metal filter I will probably have an easier time plunging. Gonna check to see if I can get one at Zucchini and Vine store downtown Chico CA first, and if not, online shopping here I come.

Edit: I'm not sure how I missed this bit of information, but it seems I was supposed to pre-wet the little paper filter that came with the Aeropress. Also, it appears a drip grind will help make the plunging easier.
Bialetti Moka Pot, Aeropress, Gene Cafe Roaster, Hario Skerton Grinder as it came, and Kyocera CM-50 with Orphan Espresso bearing upgrade for medium and coarse grind, Orphan Espresso Pharos

Airhan
You can also use the aeropress with coarsely ground coffee, like what you would use for a french press, and let it steep for 4 minutes, then plunge it. That would make the plunge much easier, plus it is a very versatile coffee maker.
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

Erst Kaffee

Airhan wrote:

You can also use the aeropress with coarsely ground coffee, like what you would use for a french press, and let it steep for 4 minutes, then plunge it. That would make the plunge much easier, plus it is a very versatile coffee maker.

Thank you for your help! coffee drink I will try it out that way too.

Gotta question for you Aeropressers.

My instruction booklet is pretty bare bones. It doesn't show how to store the Aero press for putting it away.

I have the plunger and container put together, the funnel upside down and sticking in the hole of the plunger. I have the spoon and stirring thingie in the hold of the upside down funnel on top.

Does the filter container need to be stored separately or can I put it on the assembled for storage (see paragraph above), Aeropress?

Jump to Forum: