Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Homeroasters - Home Roasting Coffee Community » HOMEROASTER USER GROUPS (HUGS) » Midwest HUGS
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Roast at the North Market (Cols, Oh) 3/31
DavidG
Hey all you Midwest HROers,

The North Market here in Columbus is having its first ever Coffee Roast http://www.northm...ffee-roast. March 31, 9am - 2pm.

Excerpt: "Think your home-roasted beans can compete with the pros? Sign up for our Home Roasters Competition. You bring a pound of your custom-roasted coffee beans to the North Market for evaluation by our expert panel of judges. The winner will receive $50 in North Market gift certificates, a WhirleyPop stovertop roaster courtesy of Pam's Market Popcorn and green beans for home-roasting!"

Hmmm... just might have to throw my hat in the ring! You should, too.

All the who's who of Central Ohio specialty coffee are involved together, which is the way it should be. Many of these local roasters were featured in my first journalistic foray http://www.columb...nthly.com/. The month my piece was on the cover was the last month for the publication (causation? Hope not! Sorry!)

Anyway, come on out for a day all about roasting! If any out-of-towners want to come in, I'm happy to be the local welcoming committee and sherpa-for-a-day. You can: PM me, or @1paraclete on twitter or 1paraclete [at] gmail.

Cheers,
David
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

JETROASTER
Sounds like fun! Sorry about your killing of the publication,Grin ....I thought it was nicely done. -Scott

seedlings
Well, the first time I go to Ohio I plan to get sidetracked to Cedar Point. While it sounds like a great time, even a coffee competition wouldn't be on my radar compared to an arsenal of roller coasters :) .

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

baldddguy
I plan on attending - but not competing. I've lived in the C-bus area for 41 years, but never have been to the North Market. (Been home roasting since soon after Tom Owen opened SweetMaria's on 2nd Street - back in the 20th century.)

(another) David

Ringo
Wow this looks like fun, I am going to try to work it out. If I come I have to compete. 3 hour drive but do not think I will fall asleep after that day.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

DavidG
David and Ringo,

Great to hear! I look forward to meeting you both at the event.

Arghhh... my BMHG motor seized, fried and died this weekend. I'll pull a pound together with the poppers, I guess. Good thing I got 2 more breadmakers at the thrift today! :)

Any other HROers in the Midwest want to come out to the event?

Cheers,
David G.

DavidG
So far it looks like HRO will have 4 folks at the event! And, that I know of, Ringo and I are submitting entries for the judging. If anyone else is thinking about making the trek, please PM me, so we can be on the lookout for fellow HROers.

The homeroaster judging remains open until 11:30 a.m. Sat. I have copies of rules sheet and details. So, go roast some last minute beans, rest 'em 2 days and come on over to C-bus. Lots of samples, how-tos and such. I know of at least three local commercial roasters bringing special samples (Rwanda CoE, for example) for the folks.

Check out the list of local who's who:

"Participating local roasters include:
Backroom Coffee Roasters (Upper Arlington)
Bexley Coffee Shop (Bexley)
Caf? Brioso (Downtown)
Caff? Apropos (Harrison West)
Crimson Cup Coffee (Clintonville)
Impero Coffee (Short North)
Luck Bros? Coffee House (Grandview)
One Line Coffee (Granville)
Silver Bridge Coffee Company (Gallipolis)
Stauf?s Coffee Roasters (Grandview)
Thunderkiss Coffee (Columbus) and
Upper Cup Coffee (Olde Town East).

Representatives from each roaster will be present to answer questions about their coffees and techniques. What goes better with coffee than milk? Hartzler Family Dairy and Snowville Creamery will also be on hand to offer a splash of dairy in your cup of joe if that?s how you take yours."

Cheers,
David

DavidG
So, I roasted Wed night. After the breadmaker motor fried out last weekend, I went back to basics with the hacked poppers (4 back to back roasts comin' up!).

Then, the fuse on my variac blew. Found a replacement that would work. Then, the variac seemed only to be putting out fractional power (have to get a killawatt and see).

Then, over to the HF router speed control. But, kept tripping what must be a thermal fuse on the HF router speed control. So, clipped it to a slab of metal as a heat sink. Still, no go. So, mid-roast pulled the router speed control, plugged in the heater circuit on the WBP1 directly to the power strip. Ran the remaining roasts with my thumb on the rocker switch -- on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off.... :)

Rested the beans since then. Combined all 4 batches just now in a big bowl. Sampled the brew in an aeropress just now. You all better watch out!

Cheers,
David

baldddguy
Had a great time at the event. Got to meet several other homeroasters. Sampled 12 coffees - after drinkind two cups of homeroast before driving downtown. IMNSHO - only one tasted better than my homeroast!

Ringo
It was a great time, got to see lot of people who love coffee. Got to try lots of good coffee.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

DavidG
Great to meet Ringo, Baldddguy, JSpain and several other new folks today at the Coffee Roast at the North Market in Columbus, Ohio. We all spread the good HRO word to Tim, Scott, the other Tim among others. Here's hopin' you all join up.

I talked with several of the professional roasters who did the cupping and judging. In all, 13 homeroasters entered coffees. I didn't know the first and second place finishers (i.e. I wasn't one of them ;) ).

Here are some notes from the judges:
1. They were impressed by the level of quality overall
2. There were some very good coffees poorly roasted
3. There were some so-so coffees well roasted (I think I am here -- I'd like to flatter myself)
4. And, some so-so coffees poorly roasted.

The scoring was done rating 5 attributes of the flavor with a judges adjustment. The coffees were also scored on an Agtron both whole and then ground. Several said that next year they would like to have one of the scoring elements relate to the quality of the roast, specifically.

A ton of fun was had by all -- between 1800 and 2000 people mobbed the North Market this morning for Coffee Roast. Many in the sampling lines waited 45 minutes to get to all of the roasters' tables. The stalwart professionals of Columbus' coffee scene held strong and put on a stellar exhibition.

Cheers,
David

Jump to Forum: