renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 1
btreichel

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Help Protect Kona Coffee
jzuzphreek
Not sure if this is the best place for this, or the sites stance on petitions. But I think this is a worthy cause that hasn't received enough mention. Kona Coffee, which we all know is the only coffee grown in the United States currently requires inspection and certification to protect its authenticity. The governor is attempting to do away with this certification process, which could open the door to cheaper lower grade coffees passing themselves off as Kona.

Now, I don't know the financial situation of the state of Hawaii, nor do I know the financial impact Kona certification has on the state, but I do believe that America is exceptional, and we should do everything we can to stay exceptional. Producing one of the most desired coffees in the world is just another one of those things we do well. Please take a minute or two to at least read this petition and see what it has to say.

http://www.change...sary#share
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

Dan
Use this link: http://www.change...-necessary

Change.org is a great site for activists.

oldgearhead
Yes, we don't want what happens to olive oil to happen to Kona. (Large tankers of cotton-seed oil passing through Italian ports to dilute their best product: EVOO..)
No oil on my beans...

jzuzphreek
And I'm not an activist by any means. I just think its a crying shame when our leaders forget their #1 priority... to SERVE! (Most seem to think it's "Get Reelected")

End rant.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

Dan
LOL! Jessy, when you take social/political action, like signing a petition, you become an activist. When you don't, you are a sit-on-your-assivist. :)

jzuzphreek
You've left me speechless. That was too good of a line! No comeback will do! Roflmao
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

oldgearhead
Source "Food Science":
Sobering research just out: Olive oil is among the top food items on your supermarket shelf that?s likely to be bogus. Also joining that list: milk, honey, saffron, orange juice, coffee, and apple juice. That?s according to research published in the April Journal of Food Science.
No oil on my beans...

wsikes

oldgearhead wrote:

Source "Food Science":
Sobering research just out: Olive oil is among the top food items on your supermarket shelf that?s likely to be bogus. Also joining that list: milk, honey, saffron, orange juice, coffee, and apple juice. That?s according to research published in the April Journal of Food Science.

Bogus Coffee?
William Sikes

Dan
They are probably talking about mis-labeling. Unlike wine, there aren't many agencies that oversee labeling.

Does anyone have a link that that report? I've looked twice and cannot find an article on that topic in the April 2011 or 2012 issue.
Edited by Dan on 04/23/2012 6:00 PM

John Despres
Take your pick by copying the quoted text into your search bar.

I copied the quoted text into Google and got multiple links to the same text.

That's a school teacher trick - If a student is thought to be plagiarizing, just enter the suspect sentence into your search engine and see if it turns up... My wife taught me this one.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Dan
Yeh, John, I know how to Google. Doesn't everyone. I don't want the news story. It only mentions coffee once and doesn't go into detail of how it can be bogus. What I want is the full text journal article, but I don't want to buy a subscription to the journal. I was hoping that someone had a copy or a link to a copy.

John Despres
Oops - Oh... I wasn't implying you don't know how to Google, just sharing a tip.

Sorry.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Dan
Thanks. I'm still curious how coffee is adulterated. I suspect it is simply mis-labeling the origin or quality. I.e. Jamaican Blue Mountain is coffee grown anywhere on Jamaica, not just select orchards at altitude.

Jump to Forum: