Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,208
Newest Member: branchu

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My new KKTO style roaster
JackH
best post

I have been working on this for a while and it is finally done! Here is a photo of the setup outside where the light is better.
JackH attached the following image:
kktoview.jpg

Edited by ginny on 08/09/2012 6:12 PM

JackH
I used a large diameter outer pot and a aluminum cake pan as an inner pot.
There is insulation between the inner and outer on the sides and bottom.

The roast chamber is a pasta strainer and I added a solid bottom because I found the bottom holes were rough and acting like a bean grater.

I am also using an official KKTO agitator blade and shaft assembly.
interior_1.jpg

JackH
I built in the control panel with the TC-4/Arduino logger with all connectors available from the front. The control panel is self contained and removable for use in other roasters.
controlpanel.jpg

JackH
Here is a view of the side with one of the two 120mm fans I added to keep the inside cool.
kktoside.jpg

JackH
I traded an old laptop I fixed for this Variac made by superior electric. It is rated to 25 Amps. I added the box, fuseholder and outlet with AC meter.

I really don't need 25A but it is good to have a heavy duty unit.
variac_1.jpg

JackH
Thanks to Paul (Koffee Kosmo) for all his help and advice. The KKTO agitator works very well and with this roast chamber I can go to about 600g.

The roast chamber is removable and I can make a larger one if needed. 450g meets my needs.

My roasts on the original Stir crazy were about 15-16 minutes. With this setup I finish in about 11-12 minutes. It really holds the heat in. The outer pot does still get hot, but not too bad.
kktofrontbetter.jpg

oldgearhead
Very nice!
No oil on my beans...

jedovaty
That looks really sweet! I don't know if you recall, tried something similar but not as elegant. I used an old speaker cabinet. Worked for a bit.

I see you have the BT and ET there, how are they secured? How do you get the beans out, tip the whole contraption, or pull the colander out?

JackH

jedovaty wrote:

That looks really sweet! I don't know if you recall, tried something similar but not as elegant. I used an old speaker cabinet. Worked for a bit.

I see you have the BT and ET there, how are they secured? How do you get the beans out, tip the whole contraption, or pull the colander out?

Thanks Jedovaty and Oldgearhead!

I have the thermocouples inserted into what once was a stainless steel probe. Just cut the end of the steel probe, pulled the old wire out and inserted my probe into it. Just using it as a holder. I just drilled out holes in the pot and they slide in.

I vac out the beans direct into my cooler. There is a thread on this cooler here. http://forum.home...rowstart=0

This will monitor the roast standalone or attached to a computer to graph. I am using the RoastLogger software.

Some of the work looks rough and a bit tilted, I am not a wood or metal worker. Much of it was done with hand tools.
Edited by JackH on 08/08/2012 5:08 PM

ginny
Jack:

sweet setup, nice work.

thanks for showing it off. now take a picture and send it to John Despres for his
banner making...

you gotta show it off.

ginny

cool

JackH

ginny wrote:

Jack:

sweet setup, nice work.

thanks for showing it off. now take a picture and send it to John Despres for his
banner making...

you gotta show it off.

ginny

cool

Thanks Ginny,

Sent a PM to John.

allenb
Very nice roaster! + 1 on all the positive comments above.

Let us know how the roasts cup.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
I have done several roasts so far. I am finding that the faster roasts do not need to sit for days after roasting. 24 hours and it is drinkable. Faster, but still under control.

JETROASTER
Wonderfully refined. Looking forward to seeing it on the banner! -Scott

Koffee Kosmo
Very nice job Jack
The design is so flexible for a DIY roaster to play around the edges so to speak

You need to post some roasted bean photos soon ThumbsUp

As a side note I have spoken to a few early adopter KKTO owners recently
All official kit units are still working
Most have done several hundred roasts
One entered a bean roasting comp for professional roasters and was 1/2 a point off a placing

So (based on the above) it looks like you will have a great relationship with your roaster

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

ginny
Hi guys:

I look at this post and I simply must smile; this is what we are all about here
on HRO.

we have each shared and taken knowledge from one another and look what happens...

a member creates their own version of a great roaster.

we rule the homeroaster venue.

ginny

cool

JackH
KK, Thanks again for the help. I have your seal of approval...KKTO is a time tested design. I will take some roast photos soon. I never think of doing that.

JackH
I roast in my garage and built this enclosure to move some of the smoke away. It uses a 6 inch fan and duct work going outside to a window vent.
JackH attached the following images:
garagevent.jpg topvent.jpg roastermain.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JackH
The big Variac is mounted on the side out of the way. I use a Kill-a-Watt to monitor current to the heater.
variac_2.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JackH
Here is a roast log for Honduras beans I did recently. The roast length is much shorter now 10 - 11 minutes. I also notice that I no longer have to wait 3 days to drink, 24 hours will do now. We will see how all this holds up in the winter. Great results so far no sour or baked flavors.

450g load. I did not go to second crack.
hondurascafetalora.png

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Koffee Kosmo
That looks about right for the green bean weight you roasted

I have observed over hundreds of roasts that with the KKTO design shorter OR longer roasting times don't seen to affect the end result
The way it applies the heat for roasting beans differs from the norm

Take note If using a standard Turbo Oven just plugged in to the outlet - that as the green beans roast weight increases so will the time to first crack unless you have great control of you applied heat
Your Variac & Audrino will come into play

Dont be afraid to have a large batch 800gr+ reach FC at 12/14 minutes and SC at 20/22 min

You need top follow your own unique roast profiles that match this roaster
Use other roaster profiles as a guide only and don't be shy to experiment

The results in the cup will convince you that this is a unique roaster

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

jedovaty
Coool, very nice again, Jack.

Hey - did you know you can record the variac's output into your TC4's analog input? :) I'm not sure if roastlogger will then let you track this, but if it does, it'd be cool.

I just did this having a variac controll fan speed, following a similar setup introduced to me by Jim and Allen:
http://code.googl...onitor.jpg

Well, it's nearly identical.. and the results (I'm really proud, project worked out and I didn't blow anything up or burn myself!):
jano.portablehole.net/fridge/tc4/circuit-variac.jpg

JackH
Hi Jed,

I did look into that circuit. The roastLogger does not have that feature to monitor and plot the voltage.

Too bad a Kill-a-watt type device can't be modified to send it's wattage measurement data to the Arduino. That would probably be another major project. I'll have to open mine and see what is inside.

--Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JackH
I increased the bean load to 650g and ran it today. the roast is longer, about 12 minutes with first crack at about 10 minutes. I usually don't do second crack. Don't like the taste.
guatamalaceylon650g.png

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JackH
The results here stored in my new canister. Holds 16oz and is sealed with a valve on top. Made by Friis. Keeps the light and air out and the smell escapes out the top one way valve.
beans_3.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: