renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Drying Phase Curve
erik82

oldgearhead wrote:

Sivetz (1963):
Degree of Roast Influence on weight loss:
Light cinnamon-colored = 12%
Full-City Dark brown no black = 14%
Full-City+ Dark brown with some black edges= 16%
French Black with some oil= 18%
Italian dark and oily= 20%

Thanks for these numbers. They seems on par with the weight loss I'm having. With my previous beans weightloss was a bit more and probably due to it not being microlots and the longer roasting profiles. The beans I now have are really nice and more expensive but taste much better. The other beans weren't bad quality but these are just very good quality and a bit special.

I got another table with numbers that differs a lot from your numbers (avacuppa.com.au). These are probably related to the long roasts on the Gene and not the shorter commercial roasts:

Roast level Percent Weight Loss
C 16%
C+ 17%
FC 18%
FC+ 19%
Vienna 20%
Olympia Cremina 2013, HG one 83mm #0083, Gene Cafe.
Also Zassenhaus grinder, Chemex, Abid Clever Dripper, Kalita Wave, Aeropress, Hario Buono, Bodum Cafetiere and Bialetti Mokapot

oldgearhead
I'm pretty sure the Sivetz data I have relates to the spiral-drum continuous
roasters. In this type of roaster the beans are stirred by a spiral blade attached to the wall of a spinning, perforated, drum. Hot air 450F-500F is introduced through the perf. Typical time in the 'hot; area is 5 minutes.

I use a fluid-bed roaster and my loss is very close to your non-Sivetz table.
No oil on my beans...

erik82
The truth shall probably be somewhere in the middle and probably depends on the type of roaster used. For me it's just a confirmation that I'm not far off and haven't done something wrong. The last batch tasted very good but just wanted to double check.
Also Zassenhaus grinder, Chemex, Abid Clever Dripper, Kalita Wave, Aeropress, Hario Buono, Bodum Cafetiere and Bialetti Mokapot

Barrie
I have recently roasted two different varieties of bean in my Gene Cafe, using an initial 5 min. drying phase.

SM Colombian San Antonio Lot #230 (wet processed), taken to Full City+ and lost 16% weight.

SM Moka Kadir blend (processed GOK how, but probably dry), taken to Vienna and lost 15% weight.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Bmb
Dear Erik, did you really mean 325gr or was it typo for 225gr ?

erik82 wrote:

Did a roast yesterday to try and get the time to yellow down to around 5 minutes instead of 8:30 minutes. Started by heating up the GC with a temp of 356F (180C) instead of 300F (150C) for 5 minutes. Then dumped in 325 grams of Panama Bouquette and started roasting the first 3 minutes of drying at 356F (180C) and after 3 minutes slowly brought the temp down 2-3F every cycle of the heating element eventually ending up at 334F (168C) at the 5 minutes point. Then started the ramp.

The result was very good. My normal time to yellow is around 8:30 minutes and this profile reduced that time to around 6:30. The ramp up was very nice and the more heat drying phase didn't damage the beans. The result was a nice and even roast. The total time of the roast was 16:45 minutes where it would normally take around 18 minutes. Time to Frist Crack really starting was around 12:45 minutes.

I'll report back in a couple of days with the result tastewise.

GC, Bezzera Strega, Macap 4M, Graef ES90, Lido, Mokas, Drip, AP & Co.

erik82
It's a typo and should be 235 grams.

snwcmpr
Ok, since this thread started, I have rethought the way I roast.
I thought I was dropping too late and the beans were put into an oven too hot. I also thought my drying phase was too long.
So, I dropped earlier and worked towards drying in a shorter time, more like close to 4 minutes.
Well, after Panama, Peru, Yemen and 2 batches of Guatemala I have concluded that roasting the wrong way, for me, has resulted in excellent coffee. These coffees had sourness in every batch.
This doesn't make sense.

But, the taste is the final judge. I will go back to what I was doing.

Ken

"Not always so" ... Shunryu Suzuki (Zen monk)
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

erik82
That's weird. For me with the higher temperature and shorter drying phase the beans taste more sweet and had less acidity. That's the opposite of your findings. What is you time between first crack and end of roast and what is the degree of roast?

Barrie
Eric,
To some extent you are comparing apples and oranges. The GC and HotTop are very different roasters.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

lmclaren
Following on from the discussion, If roaster limitations were not an issue, what would the perfect profile be?

Would it be (for an air roaster):
Fast rise (say 50c / minute) to 150c
Slow rise to endpoint (say 8c / minute) to 229c

This would give a total roast time of 3 min + 10 min = 13min.
Or is this view a bit to simplistic?

Most of the discussion is around how to overcome the roaster characteristics to achieve a long enough drying times.

best regards
Lee

Barrie

lmclaren wrote:

Following on from the discussion, If roaster limitations were not an issue, what would the perfect profile be?

Would it be (for an air roaster):
Fast rise (say 50c / minute) to 150c
Slow rise to endpoint (say 8c / minute) to 229c

This would give a total roast time of 3 min + 10 min = 13min.
Or is this view a bit to simplistic?

Most of the discussion is around how to overcome the roaster characteristics to achieve a long enough drying times.

best regards
Lee

I am the wrong person to answer this generically, Lee, but I can tell you what I do with a Gene Cafe, which is very different from the Fresh Roast or a popper, for example.
I had intended to post the routine in this thread but, somehow, my clumsiness caused it to start as a separate thread (My roast routine).

http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3176
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

emigre
Thank you for this information, it has really gotten me thinking about all the wrong things I have been doing ??and what I should actually try to accomplish.

I've never really known there is this important stage called the 'Drying Phase'. As someone mentioned above somewhere, regardless whether we know it or not, the coffee beans go through a drying phase anyway. However it just strikes me that hmm? there probably is the right and wrong way of going about it.

In all my roasts, I just pump up the gas and let the roaster do its job of increasing its temperature on its own without making much tweaks besides increasing airflow.

Does this Drying Phase mean that we should actually maintain the beans at a certain degrees (say, 150?C) for a period of time (5mins)?
What I have always done is ignore that and just let the beans get yellow on its own ? which probably around 170?C. After reading this thread, I now realize that I have ignored an important part of the roasting process by going through the drying phase too fast.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you!

Jump to Forum: