Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Photo of Butt
allenb
Per ciel-007's request, photo of todays Boston Butt after being removed from 7 1/2 hours of smoke @ 230 F on the egg and an additional 4 1/2 hours in foil in the oven at 240 F.

Next time I promise to take a photo while my butt's still on the egg!
allenb attached the following image:
img_1009.jpg

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ciel-007

allenb wrote:

Next time I promise to take a photo while my butt's still on the egg!

Allen, I have to admit that you have a fine looking butt. I'm under the impression that there are a number of Kamado owners here at HRO. I was especially touched by seeing you go all the way... an voluntarily unveiling your recipe.
Thanks! Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

smico
This looks very nice.
Do you guys PID the Kamado? I like smoked salmon, but every time I buy it and look at price difference between fresh and smoked fish I scratch my head...
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario

snwcmpr
Nice butt!!

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

coffeeroastersclub
Allen, what type of wood were you using and how many pounds was your butt?

I BBQ alot of shoulders, averaging 9 pounds. If I do a BBQ it will be with about 5 shoulders at a time and for a full 14 hours at 210 degrees average, mopping every hour after the 1/2 half of BBQ time has passed, the last hour when I do every 1/2 hour. I flip them all prior to the mop. Up here in Connecticut we have alot of red oak and maple, so that is the wood I use.

In a couple weeks I will be making some German Frankfurters from scratch, using pork, beef, and natural sheep casings. They come out big time good. I use no nitrates, just salt and other natural seasonings.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

jedovaty
Butt scanning: 21st century version of photocopying butts!
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtmjgeEL-tk[/video]

allenb

smico wrote:

This looks very nice.
Do you guys PID the Kamado? I like smoked salmon, but every time I buy it and look at price difference between fresh and smoked fish I scratch my head...

I haven't added any control to mine. I find it's pretty easy to just get a few coals glowing in the middle of a full batch and add a few good size chunks of hardwood buried around the perimeter of the glowing portion sort of mixed in randomly, toss the meat on a grate above the ceramic plate setter with drip catching foil pan below it, set the bottom slide damper at 1/8", the top daisy wheel open full and it maintains anywhere from 210 to 250 F for many hours. After 8 or 9 hours I have to go to 1/4" on the bottom inlet damper to keep it at temp for several more hours.

I'm waiting for rustic_roaster or JackH to come up with a TC4 version of the charcoal grill/Kamado PID controllers and I might think about adding controls to mine. Otherwise I'm too cheap to buy what's out there now.

Allen

Merged on October 21 2013 19:44:34:

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

Allen, what type of wood were you using and how many pounds was your butt?

Len

I used apple for this one. I typically prefer oak or hickory for pork shoulders but apple was on hand. I love oak and grew up around the back woods pit BBQ joints in Texas who mostly used oak as it was plentiful. This cut was an 8 lb bone-in and really surprised me as it was mostly meat with just enough fat marbling to keep it juicy.

Your franks sound extra nice and your smoking process with shoulders sounds like it should create a masterpiece!

Allen
Edited by allenb on 10/21/2013 8:47 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

coffeeroastersclub
Hello Allen, here is a pic of the franks I have done in the past:

www.coffeeroastersclub.com/hotdogs2.jpg

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

Jump to Forum: