Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Strange things while roasting in my HT
ginny
Hi:

today while roasting a batch of African I noticed the temp gauge hit 440...

I was surprised to say the least.

has anyone ever noticed that high of a temp before?

it happened after the end of the roast, while the bean were dropping, just at the end of that point in the cycle. a few beans popped out and were burnt, badly so I looked at the temp gauge and it went to 440...

Randy did some trouble shooting and we decided that it must have been perhaps a chaff fire in the back of the drum or whatever...

I have never noticed that high a temp before, ever an I have been using Hot Tops since 2002...

anyone else ever see this?

ginny

rockon
Edited by ginny on 03/22/2014 9:00 PM
turtle
My experience is limited to 3-4 half pound batches a week for the past 6 months that I have owned my hottop but I have not seen mine get over the 428 high temp auto shut down.

Even after the beans are out of the hopper I have only noticed the temp go down once the fan turns on but typically I will remove the bean cute cover, the chafe tray, and raise the fan filter which moves a lot more air through. The temp registered on the control panel starts down almost instantly.

If you were taking your roast to the dark side you may have had a smoke flash over but I think you would have noticed something like this.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
ginny

Even after the beans are out of the hopper I have only noticed the temp go down once the fan turns on but typically I will remove the bean cute cover, the chafe tray, and raise the fan filter which moves a lot more air through.

that is exactly what I do and I never go into 2nd crack, at least almost never.

I had stopped at 412, beans dropping but heat continued to rise even as cool cycle was in place.

strange...

all new filters, no clogged anything, this roaster is one of two and has had maybe 15 roasts in the last year of ownership.

odd to say the least.

I will be watching since it could be the sensor getting ready to crap out.

ginny
az erik
Interesting as I had a small chaff fire at the window last night. Didn't last but a second or two but it was at the 10 o clock position, so I didn't see the actual fire but once I ejected the was a flickering light top left of my window for about 3 seconds. I have had a bean get lodged between the BT probe and the HT's temp sensor that charr'd and sent the temp warnings off but it never got past 420 degrees and was at the eject stage anyway.

BTW I'm selling my HT set up with the TC4C now, eta on the Huky is a week.
Abnuceals
Same problem here with an almost new amachine. I just changed the back filter and it did not change anything, temp goes up after ejection, fan doesn't blow right away after ejection. Temp gauge hit 439, fan starts blowing after i touched the control board.
ginny
Abn,

interesting, I am closely watching each roast now with a kill-o-watt attached to make sure it is not a machine temp issue...

thanks for posting your issue.

will keep this thread posted.

ginny

rockon
Barrie

Abnuceals wrote:

Same problem here with an almost new amachine. I just changed the back filter and it did not change anything, temp goes up after ejection, fan doesn't blow right away after ejection. Temp gauge hit 439, fan starts blowing after i touched the control board.

Sounds like a loose connection or a short? Do you mean the control board or the control panel? If the latter has been removed and put back again it is easy to break a connection. Guess how I know. thumbdown
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
ginny

Sounds like a loose connection or a short? Do you mean the control board or the control panel?

Barrie no one seems to know why it has happened. Pushing buttons did not help, temp continued to rise...

at least for me.

I had stopped the roast and the heat continued - NOTHING STOPPED BUT PULLING THE PLUG.

heat continued and finally stopped.

-g
Jump to Forum: