Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

12/02/2021 6:47 AM
sanakashyap220, welcome

12/01/2021 12:48 PM
Hey Ren, thanks for checking all the newcomers in!. You beat me to it most of the time but I am checking often. Grin

12/01/2021 6:16 AM
PGS_QLD, welcome !

11/29/2021 9:33 AM
Welcome, Andyc, coffeeswings and chuckster!

11/25/2021 1:17 AM
RJ30, JackedUp and CapnWhidbey, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 27

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,368
Newest Member: sanakashyap220

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Freshroast SR500 - CHAFF
James211
So one of the things I struggle with on this roaster (my first roaster by the way) is that the chaff doesn't always come off the bean. First off, why does this happen? And second, how do I get around it? Fix it? Its quite frustrating..

Bonsai Doug
Hi and welcome to the SR500.

Can you tell us a bit about the type of beans you've been roasting (some have very tough skins), what countries, how were they processed, etc. Also a bit about your roasting profile would help; fan speeds, heat settings, etc.

James211
Coffee: Brazil Mogiana PN Yellow Bourbon
Process: Pulped Natural Process

I'm using 2.5 oz of beans, starting with high fan, low heat for the first three minutes, let it cool. Then I moved to 6 minutes on high fan medium heat - cool, followed by two minutes on high heat with a double cooling cycle.

I haven't pin pointed this bean yet as I just got the batch. I just find this chaff issue to happen a bit too often and its frustrating.

So far the hardest bean I've tried to roast is the maui mokka. Maybe its my roaster, but that one is tough to get right.

Airhan

James211 wrote:

I'm using 2.5 oz of beans, starting with high fan, low heat for the first three minutes, let it cool. Then I moved to 6 minutes on high fan medium heat - cool, followed by two minutes on high heat with a double cooling cycle.

Are you implying that with one batch of beans you roasted them for 3 minutes then let them cool down, then roasted them for six minutes then let them cool, and then 2 more minutes of roasting?
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

James211
Yes, that's for the yellow bourbon. That recipe got me just past first crack.

Airhan
I would try a continuous roast, that might help get the chaff of, out of curiosity how do your beans taste?
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

James211
Airhan,

I'm still learning a lot here, but the bean is very mellow, with a bit of graham, slight nut. The brew is even better. I'm just worried how the chaff might effect the taste.

ginny

That recipe got me just past first crack.

where did you get this information?

take your 2.5 beans and roast them, do not stop, pass go until they are finished...

maybe all the way through 1st crack...

you honestly need to start and finish the roast at one time.

try it and let us know.

-g

beach

edit for spelling, ugh
Edited by ginny on 04/29/2014 7:20 AM

Bonsai Doug
I too have to agree that the roasting-cooling-roasting-cooling-roasting is problematic; on many levels.

As Ginny has stated, roast all the way to your desired finish point all at one time; start to finish.

Keep the forum posted on your results.

snwcmpr
Once I start the roast ... I never let the temp of the bean drop until cooling after the roasting has finished. (If I can help it)

(Opinion Alert)
That said, if he gets a coffee he likes doing it his way, that is what this site is about. Sometimes I have to remember there is no right way or wrong way. There is just the way you like it.

So, James,
Can you give us a bit more information about the taste of the coffee roasted that way and if possible the taste of coffee roasted continuously without cooling until completed roasting.

My $0.02.

Ken
(I didn't roast with the HT the 'right way' and I thought it was better that way)
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
While I am the first one to say there is no right or wrong way,

new roaster using new roaster my thoughts are to to complete roasts with that small amount of beans to get a sense of what roasting does and how it happens.

then fool around with any manner of roasting because it is your TASTE ONLY that matters.

-g

smoking

Jump to Forum: