Print Thread
Coffee Roasting Acostics
ginny
http://scitation..../1.4874355

interesting.

ginny

smoking
coffeeroastersclub
Some other boards have been discussing this for the past few years. I even made a sonic amplifier so that you could hear the sound of the cracks better. However if you roast by bean mass temp it is really just redundant to the bean mass temp readout you get from your PID. Its best applicaton is with BBQ grill systems and possibly other types of roasters where it is difficult to put a thermocouple into the roasting chamber to get a bean mass temp readout.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
ciel-007
Ginny, thanks for sharing.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK´┐ŻNIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
turtle
Even with 2 additional k-type thermocouples and the TC4C+HTC+Artisan modifications/enhancements........

I still roast by sight, sound, and smell. All of that "other stuff" just records what happened at what time/temp but I made the "roasting decisions" based on my three S roasting method which provides me with the input I need to get what I am after.

I do not feel I could "automate" the roasting process as I need to see, hear, and smell what is going on with the beans.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
ciel-007

turtle wrote:

... I still roast by Sight, Sound, and Smell...

Mick, I agree with you, and as a result, I am still roasting in complete MANUAL mode.

Finding the "Right" profile for that "Special" bean results in that "Perfect" roast. I respect the 3 S Method that you describe. However, I simply cannot REPLICATE an "RSP" roast without "BMT". BMT (along with ROR) remain the single most important criteria I have discovered to REPLICATE an RSP roast to near perfection, and thus maintain CONSISTENCY from one roast to the next.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK´┐ŻNIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101
ginny

I do not feel I could "automate" the roasting process as I need to see, hear, and smell what is going on with the beans.

Mick, I agree with you, and as a result, I am still roasting in complete MANUAL mode.

me too...

this conversation has been going on for ages on all of the boards; I posted this because it was again on Sweet Maria this morning and someone said:
"roasting by color," was rather stupid...

sight, sound and smell roast a hell of a great bean...

ginny

beach
weenie_roaster
The nature of my blind roasting technique relies primarily on sound and smell. I have roasted so many times now I no longer bother with temperature readings. I know exactly the rate of roasting by the smell, and as well as how close from completion of FC and the rate at which the beans crack, (as well as smell).

It's a very visceral experience compared to a machine. Spending all of my professional life with computers and technology in general, I really appreciate the analog side to life.
Scott
Jump to Forum: