Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Can someone rebuild an old VC motor/fan
snwcmpr
I have this roaster .... Gas Fired 1 lb Fluidbed Build ... http://forum.home...ad_id=3174

The air flow is diminishing. It just doesn't loft like it used to. I used to loft 1 lb of green beans at 50-60% on the variac, now it takes 70-90%.
I understand from Allen the fan may be just getting old, as it was from a commercial Electrolux. It probably got it's years of use. Possibly worn bearings?

I cleaned the commutator last night, as a result it sounded better on the bench, and will put it back in to try again. I plan to do that this afternoon. I have to leave this morning for an appointment.

The case around the fan looks like I would destroy it if I tried to take it apart.
Anybody have experience doing this?

Ken in NC
(I would be more than willing to pay for the service) I really like this roaster and the coffee produced on it.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ciel-007
Ken, it might simply be easier, and possibly cheaper, to just replace the motor.

Have you considered browsing through CL (or other similar sites) for a used VC or motor?

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

snwcmpr
I don't know the specs so I can't match.
There aren't any numbers on it.

I went to a VC shop. He thought the motor was fried as the coils are black.
But because it runs, he said it may be from the heat.

He suggested cleaning the commutator better. He said the eraser is the best cleaner.
His tech was out sick today. I will call tomorrow.

Did I say it is running? I consider this as maintenance.

Ken in NC
snwcmpr attached the following image:
fansmall.jpg

Edited by snwcmpr on 08/20/2014 10:21 AM
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

ciel-007
Ken, if the wiring has obvious signs of discoloration from overheating, it is a matter of time before the motor fails.

If you like using this roaster, now might be a good time to be quietly looking for an inexpensive replacement (used) motor for an eventual swap-out down the road.

Perhaps the technician in the VC Shop can help you identify the Electrolux models and years in which this particular motor was used (It is essential that the mounting bolt holes be in the exact same location).

You may be able to pick up an old Electrolux for very little money on CL if you have the time and patience to look.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Randy G
Flour of pumice is a good thing to keep around. It is available at most hardware stores. It can be sprinkled on a wet rag and makes an excellent polishing system. I have used WD-40 as well as water on the rag depending on what I am working on.

it can be used to hone or polish knife blades and most metals. it also works for polishing the copper commutator. Also check the brushes. If worn the motor will lose power.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

snwcmpr
Yes to all of that
Thanks
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

allenb

snwcmpr wrote:

I went to a VC shop. He thought the motor was fried as the coils are black.
But because it runs, he said it may be from the heat.
Ken in NC

Hi Ken, the varnish on the windings have been brown/black since I got it years ago. Yes, it probably overheated at some point during it's childhood years but shouldn't affect performance.

One thing I failed to mention in our previous emails is to be aware that using anything for an inlet filter that isn't made of a cellular structure can create a large restriction much faster than foam filters. I'd give it a try without a filter for testing purposes to rule that out if you haven't already done so. Another step to rule out dry bronze bearings causing a slow down in rpm is to pull the two brush holders and give it a whirl. It should spin freely.

Let us know how it turns out.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

snwcmpr
"... the varnish on the windings have been brown/black since I got it years ago."
Ok, one item checked off. It has run great since I got it last year. Avg 1 run a week, plus any I have given away (quite a bit).

"Cellular structure"
I started using cheesecloth with a screen mesh to hold it in place. Yes, that may very well be a part of the restricted flow.
I will look to see about some thin foam like what was on it, that fell apart a while ago.

I am just now (about to) setting down to clean the commutator and possibly some glaze on the brushes.
(Yes, I do have a gently touch when I need/want it)
I may have time tonight to test run it outside the box.

When I talked to the VC guy, I asked if he needed a picture of the motor to see if he had one. He said no with a confidence I am sure of when I see it. He showed me 2 used vacuums that have the same motor, on his display, for sale.
There are those in the world that really do know what they are doing, and know it well.
I will call him tomorrow, and he will ask his tech that has been in the biz for 33 years.

Thanks again to all.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

snwcmpr
Done.
All I really did was clean the commutator and attempt to blow the vanes of residue.
I looked at the brushes, but did not want to remove the brush support boxes, and then have to worry about the setting.
What little residue I removed from the vanes may have helped a little too.

Anyway, I put it back in and the loft of 1 lb of beans is back to the way it is when i got it from Allen. I did it with and without the filter (cheese cloth). It lofts quite well at 50-60% and actually will blow the beans out if I go to 80% now.

I will get info and source a replacement motor/fan from my new friend at the VC shop. He was a little fascinated about the use of the motor/fan in a roaster.

I want to again say how well this roaster is built, Allen did a really fine job in simplicity and forethought. I really love the roasts that come out of this roaster.
I do not want to imply any defect with the roaster. If I did, I did not intend to.

Thanks all,
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

allenb
Ken, glad to hear it's back to normal air flow! Hopefully it will give you at least a couple more years of service before needing to be scrapped. BTW, let me know if the vac motor your vacuum cleaner guy finds for you is too pricey as I have a different model that I used for testing the bubblebed rig that's in very good condition that may match up with the bolt pattern.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

snwcmpr
Ok Allen.
Thank you,
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

ciel-007
Ken, I'm really glad to hear that your roaster is behaving normally again.

Allen, it's great hearing about the excellence of your designs, and craftsmanship.

Ciel

JETROASTER
Hi Ken,
I've been a bit absent lately. It sounds like you've solved the issue. If the blower gives you any more problems , feel free to PM me or email (jetroaster@gmail).
I can walk you thru the rebuild or send you a (used) replacement for the cost of shipping. I have access to pretty much all the vacuum blowers out there if you prefer new. Many will drop ship.
Cheers, Scott

allenb

ciel-007 wrote:

Ken, I'm really glad to hear that your roaster is behaving normally again.

Allen, it's great hearing about the excellence of your designs, and craftsmanship.

Ciel

Thanks Fern! You guys are toooooo kind! I couldn't have pulled off the build without all the inspiration from HRO members. ThumbsUp

Allen

allenb

freshbeans wrote:

Hi Ken,
I've been a bit absent lately. It sounds like you've solved the issue. If the blower gives you any more problems , feel free to PM me or email (jetroaster@gmail).
I can walk you thru the rebuild or send you a (used) replacement for the cost of shipping. I have access to pretty much all the vacuum blowers out there if you prefer new. Many will drop ship.
Cheers, Scott

Hey Scott, I't's so great to have someone with your expertise with not only roaster building but also the vac blower side as well. I'm not sure how long this vac motor will last. Is it a real pain and require special tools to get it apart to pull bearings on both ends of the motor and replace? I remember trying to pull the sheet metal blower can off one of mine a while back and I ended up making a mess out of it by prying with various wrong tools.

Allen

snwcmpr

AllenB said:
Hey Scott, I't's so great to have someone with your expertise with not only roaster building but also the vac blower side as well.

Yes, I agree.

I did 5 1lb batches in the last 2 days.
Have I said I love this roaster????

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

JETROASTER
These tools are really all you need to do this job. I include the chisel and hammer for knocking the fan housings apart. The little bearing puller is handy, but it doesn't solve the issue of pressing the new bearings on. An arbor press is ideal. A large C-clamp can work. Hammering is a no-no.
I'm including another pic of a screwdriver thru the fan housing with the armature removed. If the fans are not an issue, you can avoid disassembling the fan housing by chasing the armature out with the screwdriver. It keeps all the fans, bushings and washers in place. It's a real time saver if you're only changing bearings and carbons.
I also include the optional espresso cups. This is a two espresso job. One prior to disassembly and one before putting it back together.
Cheers, Scott
JETROASTER attached the following images:
fan_hsng.jpeg 57_rebuild_tools.jpeg

snwcmpr
I have a puller and an arbor press.
I think they are next to the 1941 South bend lathe I rebuilt.
I can do this.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

JETROASTER

snwcmpr wrote:

I can do this.

Ken

Yes you can!
As best I can tell so far, this was a replacement motor, sold with an adaptor plate to fit some of the Electrolux machines. The one you have is discontinued. It's closest relative is; Ametek #116311-00. (or 116311-01, for all ball bearing)
I'll include the dimensions. It seems to me that this field is a bit taller. It also occurs to me that you don't need a 2 stage blower!
If it comes to finding a replacement, just send me any space constraints, and i'll find the best fit.
Cheers, Scott

http://dev.ametek...311-00.pdf
Edited by JETROASTER on 08/23/2014 11:29 AM

Jump to Forum: