Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
One origin for the rest of your life
jkoll42
best post

So there is the question. If you had to drink only one SO for the rest of your life where would it be? No cop out complicated responses or blends. No "Central America" or "Islands" or "Africa" or well this but maybe that. Specific country. Explanation about why certainly appreciated.
Edited by ginny on 04/19/2015 9:35 AM
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jkoll42
Guats for me

They are so well rounded but enough variation to keep it interesting.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

oldgearhead
Kenya AA from Theta Ridge..easy to produce various flavors by changing the roast profile

chimpy74
hi guys, a bit out of the picture for me being in Australia but I do find myself loving most south American coffees, probably my favourite at the moment Is Guatemala Antigua. love the creamy body.

mark

ginny
hmmmm, for me always African but let me pick just one as you asked for, good thread...

-grockon

allenb
I'm with OGH's pick. With the variety of flavor profiles possible from the various regions in Kenya, I'm able to produce flavors close to the best I've cupped from Guatemala and El Salvador.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

coffeeroastersclub
Kona Peaberry from Huladaddy.com . Roasted to City+. I am not a cupper; its just a wonderful coffee packed with flavor. Saturates the taste buds with wonderfulness. Yeah, theres my cupping notes. Grin

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

turtle
No no no...

I will not play this game

I'm taking my beans and going home where I can enjoy them ALL

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/beans/bean_stash_8-24-2014_zps05298d9d.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

grp00
Guatemala Huehuetenango. It's what I drink everyday now. It's a very good all around coffee. I usually buy a 50lb bag of green beans which lasts me about a year.

snwcmpr
I can't play this way either.
If I had to I would say Ethiopian. The flavor notes are so much more than anything else, so far. But Kenyan comes close.
And without the variety, I cannot appreciate the one. My cabinet full of variety says it all.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Koffee Kosmo
I will say that variety is the spice of life
But I change my preference with the seasons

However overall I go more for Colombian and Central American beans more than others

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Ringo
Costa Rica for me, when its good its really good. With Ethiopian close 2nd.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

JETROASTER
I'm steppin' out. I'm going Brazil. Makes the best Turkish, nice espresso.
-Scott

Omega
I could exist with only Guatemala coffee, but I'm glad I don't have to. Variety is the spice of life!

Barry

gene
Like Ken and KK allude without variety not able to answer.....Have lots of Yemenis, Ethiopeans, central americans in my stash.

Number one coffee country for me is Panama, specifically the Boquette region. My kayaking bud and his wife bought some property down there on side of a volcano and carries me coffee back from his neighbors that blows my mind.

That is down the road from the Peterson Farm that discovered Gesha growing on some of their back acres seems around 2004? That blowed everyone away and led to a craze and some upper 90's cupping scores.

No 2 is Guats. I now judge coffees by how well they taste as Americanos and out of pourover and Guats are consistently good.

To me got to have a certain amount of body packed with sweetness, and chocolates and that is why my taste buds prefer Panama and Guatemala compared to the more aromatic Kenyans and Ethiopians.

ginny
OK guys:

if there was, WAS, only one what would that coffee be for you?

Jon only asked a simple question that I had to go back and think about and have found mine and I will post later today.

we are all aware, painfully, that coffee batches come and go. I went back to get some from Sweet Maria today and it was gone with the coffee tides...

forget that you, all of us, want variety, what is the one coffee that you would die for?

only one, never get to drink another cup. so you give up coffee forever or pick one.

please simply list your coffee and why if you wish.

ginny

for me this was an interesting thread, having to go back over all the coffee I have had and what I remembered the most and why.

no game here just thoughts on what made that for you.

so be brave dudes...
pick a favorite all time coffee for you that if you had no other you would want.

if not do not add to the post with a coffee please do not post as that's not the point here; this is simply an exercise to extend yourself.

thank you.

roar
Edited by ginny on 04/25/2015 4:04 PM

Lawnmowerman
My one origin would have to be a natural Ethiopian that I'm enjoying immensely nowadays.
Ben.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

walt_in_hawaii
No no no...

I will not play this game

I'm taking my beans and going home where I can enjoy them ALL

HAHAHAHAAHA, excellent response, turtle!
For me it will would probably be guats, too, if I had to pick. but I'm with turtle.

aloha,
walt

JSA Coffee

grp00 wrote:

Guatemala Huehuetenango. It's what I drink everyday now. It's a very good all around coffee. I usually buy a 50lb bag of green beans which lasts me about a year.

Can I ask where you buy them? I am looking for 50 pound bags of HHT, but so far, haven't found anyone for that specific quantity.

ChicagoJohn
Yirgachefe District, Ethiopia
So many beans; so little time....

turtle
I am going to say one that will set everyone's teeth on edge.

Colombian Supremo. The BIG beans.

Try as I might, This is the taste of the coffee I have always consumed.

ChicagoJohn

how personal and subjective our coffee preferences can be
So many beans; so little time....

turtle

ChicagoJohn wrote:

how personal and subjective our coffee preferences can be

I did get a large quantity of Yemeni (before the bombs started falling).

Not the cleanest green coffee I have ever had (fair amount of non coffee bits in it) but natural processed beans come with bonus material sometimes. The sizing is all over the scale from super jumbo to small peaberry. This did not seem to affect the roast.

Just have to sort the beans like they are pinto beans to keep the rocks, sticks and dirt out.

I can say without exception that the taste is out of this world. Well worth the wait and expense.

The source is too unreliable for it to be the "everyday regular one and only"

walt_in_hawaii
Interesting. I've had some Yemeni as well, about 6 months ago and it was good, very interesting and flavorful, but not screeching me to a halt and OMG what was that? kinda good.

For size, I think I got your Colombians beat. Ever try Ka'u beans (from Hawaii)? they are so big if you lift one you might get a hernia. Nah, joking of course, but they are HUGE, and very well sorted, very consistent and no rubbish. expensive though.

Speaking of Yemen, the beans were mokka variety, which I have not run across anywhere else... but I just read that there is a small farm on Maui (also in Hawaii, which is where I am, incidentially) that is growing this varietal which I hear is difficult to grow. I think I will try a small sample of a few pounds from this maui farm, once my current stash of Ethiopians and Guatemalans gets thinned out a little. I did like the Yemeni mokka, it was just a bit pricey and hard to find.

Jump to Forum: