04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,227
Newest Member: AGZ

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Estimate usage of Gene Cafe based upon pic
hkeienr
I am looking forward to upgrading from a Freshroast SR500 to a Gene Caf?. Someone is selling a used Gene Caf? on eBay claiming that it has been used to roast only a few dozen batches. The seller has also provided few pictures of the actual roaster (see attached). It appears in the picture that there is quite a bit of oil/discoloration on the clear plastic heat shield indicating that perhaps it has been used much more than a few dozen times.

Since I don't have a Gene Caf? to know how quickly such discoloration typically occurs, I thought I would ask those of you with a Gene Caf? if the picture might indicate way more usage than claimed. I am only concerned about this thinking that the heating element has only so many "miles' on it before it will fail and need replacement.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this.
hkeienr attached the following images:
gene_cafe_1.jpg gene_cafe_2.jpg

Edited by hkeienr on 05/03/2015 4:02 PM

ginny
Hi:

have you looked through the Gene Cafe forums perhaps you may find some indications, if not I am sure someone will come along with good information...

that roaster looks like it has had a lot of use, what is this person asking for this roaster nd how old did he say it was? when did he buy it or is it second hand for him?

lots of questions for this individual...

ginny

hkeienr
I decided to NOT bid on the Gene Cafe described in my original post. Upon looking at a variety of other pictures I found on the web of other used Gene Cafes, I did not see any others showing so much discoloration. I suspect that it was used a lot more than for just a "few dozen batches" as claimed in the eBay posting.

I'm keeping an eye out for a nice used Gene Cafe on eBay as I am trying to avoid the temptation to pay full retail.

Jump to Forum: