Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Record
oldgearhead
It was 15 DF in my garage Tuesday. My previous low ambient was 22 DF, so why not give it a go at 15 DF.
I'm glad I insulated 75% of the glass roast chamber a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to risk my Sumatra Mandheling so I weighed out 420 grams of Mex decaf (my wife likes it) and 440 grams of Guat, bundled up and started in. First I set the wattage to 1500 and roasted both batches. The decaf was a very low test weight (dry) bean and it finished city+ in 12 minutes. The Sumatra took a little longer, 13 minutes to full city. My hot air reclaiming system went to almost normal blower inlet temperature (116 DF) normal is 120 DF.
Summary - Most of my winter roasting is done in 40-50 DF ambient and 1200 watts. At 15 DF it took 99% of my available wattage. BUT IT WORKED!
No oil on my beans...

ginny
jeez, too cold but we have 9 degrees and no way I am roasting in the basement or outside...

ginny

sure did work, got photos of insulated roaster?

LongLeafSoaps

oldgearhead wrote:

It was 15 DF in my garage Tuesday. My previous low ambient was 22 DF, so why not give it a go at 15 DF.
I'm glad I insulated 75% of the glass roast chamber a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to risk my Sumatra Mandheling so I weighed out 420 grams of Mex decaf (my wife likes it) and 440 grams of Guat, bundled up and started in. First I set the wattage to 1500 and roasted both batches. The decaf was a very low test weight (dry) bean and it finished city+ in 12 minutes. The Sumatra took a little longer, 13 minutes to full city. My hot air reclaiming system went to almost normal blower inlet temperature (116 DF) normal is 120 DF.
Summary - Most of my winter roasting is done in 40-50 DF ambient and 1200 watts. At 15 DF it took 99% of my available wattage. BUT IT WORKED!

I'm with ginny..too cold for me!
Carpe Diem With Coffee

coffeeroastersclub
Excellent OGH. You have one heck of an efficient machine there. Nice to see that I am not the only one that roasts in the freezing weather. 12 out yesterday in CT.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

MPSAN

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

Excellent OGH. You have one heck of an efficient machine there. Nice to see that I am not the only one that roasts in the freezing weather. 12 out yesterday in CT.

Len

I remember it being that cold when WE lived in Vernon! Big ICE storm when we could not leave our home on Pillsbury Hill
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

oldgearhead
Much better today Thursday, 51 DF with garage door closed and 47 DF with it open. Set wattage to 1340 and roasted two batches of 440 grams Burundi. It's Indiana, if you don't like the weather wait a day or two and it will change...
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_4237.jpg

No oil on my beans...

turtle
Too cold to roast here too.

Drinking Folgers........ Not for long (I hope)
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

jkoll42
Coldest was single digits last year with open garage door. Roaster handled it fine. Me less so.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: