Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best possible blend options?
texh
hello
so i have ordered 5 origin coffee 1 pound each and what to know what will be the best blend i can get from these.. kindly state all best posible combos aloong with %age of each origin

-Colombian Supremo
-Ethipia Sidamo
-Guatemala SHB EP
-Sumatra Mandheling
-Nicaragua SHG EP Jinotega

thanks!

Jan
Again, this will help, it includes %'s

http://legacy.sweetmarias.com/blending.php

Regards,
Jan

texh
Thanks Jan..
but i have already read that page..
reason why i posted this question was because i wanted to know my blend options with the origins of coffee i have...

i dont have brazil or multiple kind of sumatras etc.. so what ever can be made best with my 5 options i need to know that..

thanks!

ginny
I suggest you experiment with them...

ginny

Jan
You can try swapping one South American for another, swap the Colombian for the Brazilian... try swapping the Sumatran you have for the one they call for. It's the only starting point options you have unless you buy more green coffees. Try roasting each of the five coffees separately, then blend small amounts of them post-roast to experiment with different percentage blend flavors in the cup.

Get the book " Home Coffee Roasting" by Kenneth Davids. It will help you understand the similar flavor profiles of each area, and the differences of each type of coffee and it's place in a coffee blend's final flavor and body profile.

Regards,
Jan

JSA Coffee
If it were me, I would try the Colombian with the Guatemalan, then the Colombian with the nicaraguan. After those two, I would try 25% nic, 25% Guatemalan, and 50 % Colombian.

ChicagoJohn
I would first try them individually however you normally roast and brew. Then if you were to find substantial differences among them; say one is bright - fruity - tangy and another is much sweeter and and complex, depending upon what you like and prefer, you could try various blends, maybe 2-to-1 of the second to the first, for example. I've experimented as Ginny suggested and found I like the broader flavor I get by blending a yirgacheffe and a certain uganda product, both roasted the same to just after first crack. Have fun trying several single origin coffees and experimenting with blends. If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find some significant differences and in the process get a better feeling for what you prefer and what you don't like :)
So many beans; so little time....

ginny
a question:

where did you get your coffee and did they not have cupping notes for you?

most serious suppliers have at minimum some information on the coffee you buy, if not don't buy it.

ginny

seedlings

texh wrote:

hello
so i have ordered 5 origin coffee 1 pound each and what to know what will be the best blend i can get from these.. kindly state all best posible combos aloong with %age of each origin

-Colombian Supremo
-Ethipia Sidamo
-Guatemala SHB EP
-Sumatra Mandheling
-Nicaragua SHG EP Jinotega

thanks!

Roast every one of those, individually, to the best of your ability. Let them all rest for 3 days or longer. Get a dozen cups, some hot water, A SCALE, and a grinder.

Mix and match, take notes of how many grams of which coffees, grind and brew. Have fun with it!

I have yet to make a blend that taxes better than either coffee does individually.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

texh

ginny wrote:

a question:

where did you get your coffee and did they not have cupping notes for you?

most serious suppliers have at minimum some information on the coffee you buy, if not don't buy it.

ginny

my supplier did provide me with cupping notes.. but like i said its my first time in roasting world.. so predicting what blends can be made from these is not something im able do atm..

the origins i chose were completly based on cupping notes for single origin coffee... i dont know what blend will make better coffee as i heard blends taste much better than single origin.

ginny
If this is your first attempt at roasting I would clearly roast the single origins and simply forget about blending until you knew what you are doing.

Blending can come later after to get a feel for the beans...

-g

Randy G
It seems an obvious question, but how are you going to brew?

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

JSA Coffee
There are many variables to blending. Before you can know how they go together, you have to learn how the single origins act alone.

texh

Randy G wrote:

It seems an obvious question, but how are you going to brew?

french press and moka pot
any of them depending on mood

ChicagoJohn

french press and moka pot

Brewing is obviously a very important determinant, deserving of its own exploration within any given roasting protocol and green bean selection. For what it's worth, like you, I tried a french press and other brewing methods and then decided to try the Aerobie Aeropress in conjunction with a hand bur grinder because that system enables control over several critical brewing parameters while using as little as 15 grams of roasted beans per trial. It's also relatively inexpensive and highly portable.

Along with a method of roasting small quantities with repeatable control of profile, I found I was able to drink my way through many experiments sooner, and I'd highly recommend an approach like this to anyone new to this wanting to learn through trying different things.

coffeemich
Just experiment with it. It's hard to say what exactly your favorite blend option would be, so you're better off trying yourself.

turtle
When I want a blend I start by roasting at least 4 origins.

THEN.... I will pull out my scale and add coffees until I get to the weight of my 4 cup Chemex (32 grms)

I will start with 50/50 using 2 origins.

Brew and evaluate the entire pot

Then I may add another origin to that mix 33/33/33 %

Brew and evaluate.

Once I have a good mix (never more than 3 origins), I start raising and lowering ratios

When I hit "on it" I will then roast that blend in the ratio I enjoyed the most and evaluate.

This works for me but you need to figure out your routine.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

snwcmpr
Disqualifier: I do not blend.

Would it not be different to blend roasted coffee than to blend green and roast?

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny

brew and evaluate.

Once I have a good mix (never more than 3 origins), I start raising and lowering ratios

you need a lot of extra coffee to do this with and my guess is many only have a small amount to blend.

I simply take what's left maybe a third of a cup here and a quarter there and see what's up most times depending on the roast I have a winner that cannot be repeated as the beans are gone and no longer available...

ginny

ChicagoJohn

I have a winner that cannot be repeated as the beans are gone and no longer available...

ginny

A very appealing method for that reason. By analogy, it is said that one cannot step in the same river twice: the water is constantly changing, and so is the wader.

turtle

you need a lot of extra coffee to do this with and my guess is many only have a small amount to blend.

ginny

There is a very simple solution to that dilemma :)

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/beans/bean_stash_8-24-2014_zps05298d9d.jpg
Edited by ginny on 09/06/2016 6:10 AM

ChicagoJohn
Let me know when you'll be ready to accept orders. party

turtle

ChicagoJohn wrote:

Let me know when you'll be ready to accept orders. party

I have never even given away coffee outside of my close family

AND,,,

As a gift to one person through a contest on another web forum

Outside of that one gift and family I have personally consumed all I have roasted over the years.

ChicagoJohn

Outside of that one gift and family I have personally consumed all I have roasted over the years.

Well, you have quite the inventory, I must say !

bigtexun
My thoughts on blending has a lot to do with how flavors work in general.

When I taste a cup of coffee with a clean pallet, I don't have a lot of "flavor context" so I can taste things with more sensitivity, but coffee hits so many notes it can limit your ability to taste them all. So if you taste two different coffees with a clean pallet, you can pick up some of the differences, but not all of them.

On the other hand, if you drink a cup of coffee first, so you have a context, you can then take a sip of something new, and you will find that you can taste with better clarity the usually subtle differences between the two coffees. How you use this information depends on what you are trying to do, but this is how I try to understand any single ingredient quality when I'm cooking (for example).

One thing I learned from cooking is that following a recipe is fine for a food factory, or an inexpensive restaurant... But if you want to develop the best version of a dish (or your personal interpretation of the dish) it is often a great starting point to look at not one, but 5 or 6 different recipes for the same thing, then set out on your own to develop your own recipe. In doing that I often take the same basic ingredient from different sources and figure out what makes one better than the other, and then decide how that affects the best ratio of that ingredient in the context of the others.

My wife frequently comes home and tells me "I volunteered you to make the xyz for the office party next month"... It is often something I have never cooked before, so I spend the month making the dish over and over, learning how it's flavor components work, and developing both the recipe and method... Then when it's time for the real thing, I'm knowledgeable about what makes the dish great and I'm ready to make the best one I can make.

I see coffee blending as the same thing. The only difference is that the ingredients to a blend are still all coffee. So it is naturally a more subtle thing than cooking in that regard. This is why developing a method of finding the differences in what are actually very similar things is important.

For coffee, my prep for developing a blend would be first to understand the flavor notes of each of your available ingredients, and find the notes you want to marry in your blend. Where this deviates from following someone else's recipe is that it gives you the chance to evaluate different versions of coffees of similar origin... and those differences can lead to different ratios for that particular ingredient.

Whether it is coffee or pecans, or chilis, bringing different varieties together and comparing them together is the best way to develop a sense of which ones you want to use, and how you might want to blend them to compliment each other.

But clearly I don't use recipes the same way other people do.

But the question I'm focused on here is "Best possible blend options". To me the question suggests that a static recipe couldn't be the answer, mainly because the word "best" was used. A recipe made without testing your versions of the beans with your version of roast can never be best, it is simply good. Best is what comes after you have good, and you refine it.

Does any of that make any sense?

I'm an engineer. I work in a world where you figure something out, then do it the exact same way every time after that, and you always get the same results. Flavor doesn't really work that way, mainly because of each instance of an ingredient is different and unique, and each cook produces different results.

I guess my point is to develop a method of tasting and blending as your own. It is one thing to taste something that is good, and something else entirely to taste something and know why it is good. To be a blender, you need to develop your grasp on "why". And it is more than just the beans, roasting profiles are an equal contributor to the math. It is likely the "best" will involve more than one roast profile. Perhaps more than one profile for a simple variety of bean... It is possible to make a blend from a single bean variety roasted in different ways. I do that in cooking /all the time/.

Jump to Forum: