Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My hot air roaster build
Rostikalsongen
Hello,

I have built a roaster based off an air popper. While there is a possibility to post images here, the limit is 268 kB and after several attempts with online compressors and making the images smaller in paint I quit.

For anyone interested the pics and some explanation could be viewed at http://www.coffee...build.html
Rostikalsongen attached the following images:
roaster2_3.jpg complete_1.jpg roaster7_2.jpg roaster5_3.jpg roaster6_2.jpg roaster3_3.jpg

Edited by JackH on 09/07/2016 5:04 PM
JackH
Lots of views but no responses, comments.

I think you did a great job on the roaster.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
snwcmpr
I saw it, liked it, but I don't know enough to comment, sorry.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
ChicagoJohn

For anyone interested the pics and some explanation could be viewed at http://www.coffee...build.html

Hello and welcome to the forums welcome2

I did a popper mod recently too and I really like yours. I used the SSR approach controlled by a computer a long time ago as part of a control system for my wife's ceramics kilns and it is certainly effective. I like your use of a temperature controller with the SSR. The coils, if run in parallel, only draw around 13.4A at 120VAC, so it's surprising the 20A SSR didn't work OK. On the mod I did I elected to use a pulse width modulator capable of handling the load involved (SMAKNŽ AC 0-220V 20A Pulse Width Modulator PWM Electric Motor Speed Controller Max 4000W by SMAKN $16.66 Prime) and have had no issues in that regard.)

I really like your idea of having a main power supply and then a second on-off for the heating coils. I did the same to prevent heating without cooling from the fan since that will almost melt vital components as I found out by ruining two poppers (but none since I made it idiot proof :).

I've found that having limited control of the fan speed can be helpful in fine tuning rate of temperture rise using the PWM but often I don't use it, and the SSR approach may make it easier to control temperature especially if you have PID.

I hope you continue to add to your description once you get your new SSR. Maybe consider posting a video on YouTube and providing a link here.

Great job, and welcome to forum
So many beans; so little time....
ginny
super job on this roaster...

thanks for posting.

ginny

party
JackH
Thanks to ChicagoJohn for re-sizing the photos!

Size scaling (800 pixels) and image quality (50%) had to be adjusted to get them posted.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
Jump to Forum: