Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from Austin, Texas!
bigtexun
I'm an embedded systems engineer fueled by lots of strong coffee, and spicy food.

I'm here to learn and build...

I plan to build my own automated, tiny-batch, hot-air coffee roaster. I was inspired originally by my favorite Hawaiian coffee farmer, Misha, who showed me his home-made 18-pound-batch roaster while giving me a tour of his operation several years back...

I was originally going to take my PID code that I used for automating my meat smoker, and putting it on the Internet so I could monitor and control it from my smartphone.

My plan was to pull the relevant code out, and modify it to follow a roast profile... Until a week ago I was unaware that Artisan existed.

At this point I'm looking to choose a path that results in a good automation solution connecting Artisan to a DC driven hot air popper. The TC4 looks interesting, but my parts drawers are full of 1-wire hardware for reading thermocouples and doing i/o. So I'm trying to decide what path to take... But before I do I'll have to study what has been done so far with the TC4. 1-wire is not completely different than Ic2, I just have to understand where the advantages to each path are.

But the first step is to design a power supply for driving the logic with a regulated voltage, then on a second output provide a variable output for driving the DC motor. This design will require a control signal from the Arduino, I'm not sure if that is an adaptation of the current fan speed control, or if I will need to code up an alternative signal for us DC guys.

I've done some reading on the solutions a couple have tried in adapting AC control to a DC motor, but they lack detail, and the only results I have read is fan control was somewhat ineffective... But sometimes when people achieve success they walk away and fail to post results, so I'm not going to fail to duplicate their effort for educational purposes, if nothing else.

My original plan was to use one of my Linux based SBC's (Beaglebone or Raspberry Pi) for the entire project, and I still could... but I'm intrigued with what was done with Artisan/Arduino/TC4.

I'm here because I first found a manual DC based system built by Chicago John that I thought I could add automation to, and in reading of his exploits I stumbled into the Artisan project. As impressive as Artisan is, I was slightly disappointed that someone had already done what I was trying to do. But after researching the recommended hot air poppers with AC motors, I've decided that I can still develop my own custom version of that system.

But this is all talk at this point. All I have right now is a couple presto poppers, and a work-room full of parts. I don't expect to get started on this for another month, right now I'm buying a house and preparing for a couple weeks on the road exploring the desert with the wife... so all I'll be doing in the short term is trying to learn what everyone has already done.
ginny
Hi George...

you finally made it; I am delighted. this has been a rough go for you and I trust we will measure up to it...

thank you for posting here as members love to know about "the rest of us."

welcome,

hugs,

ginny

roar
ginny
remember to take this to the correct forum as we do not want your build lost here George.

ginny

Roflmao
ChicagoJohn
Welcome
So many beans; so little time....
Jump to Forum: