Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Paperless Pourover
ChicagoJohn
I accidentally bought a bag of whole roasted Eight O'clock beans a little over two years ago and picked up a blade grinder. Shortly thereafter, leaving my trusty Mister Coffee drip machine behind, I began an exploration of brewing with a french press and hand burr mill, and shortly thereafter I acquired an Aeropress, a method I've used consistently since, vertically integrating with the addition of popcorn popper roasting.

While seemingly satisfied with the quality and consistency of my results, for an unknown reason, I decided to try something new and picked up an E-Prance paperless pour over cone on Amazon for $15. While I doubted its ability to fully filter fines, I was flabbergasted to find it functions flawlessly; a very clean, clear cup.

Using only about half the coffee per morning serving, I am getting a noticeably brighter result with the same batch of beans, extracting a little more acid but not at all sour. Total time of preparation is shorter and significantly simpler; fewer steps to forget while I'm still half asleep. It's fun to play with a new brewing method, and I'm sure I'll soon arrive at a technique that yields a result equal to or better than my Aeropress.

Most of all thus far, I love the ease of clean-up and reduction in messiness, and just the overall simplicity, not to mention its attractive, artistic aesthetics.
So many beans; so little time....
ginny
Hey John,

thanks for the hot tip here...

thought about getting one for those peeps who want a regular cup instead of my espresso...

going to zip to the Amazon tab and order one.

thanks again for taking time to post this...

ginnyroar
JackH
Is this the one?

https://www.amazo...B01GCKPNI0

I tried a metal filter in the Aeropress and it does effect the quality.

The paper filters remove a lot of the "Coffee Fats" from what I have heard.
Edited by JackH on 09/09/2016 12:24 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
ChicagoJohn

JackH wrote:

Is this the one?

https://www.amazo...B01GCKPNI0

I tried a metal filter in the Aeropress and it does effect the quality.

The paper filters remove a lot of the "Coffee Fats" from what I have heard.

That's the one I got, and I think it works great. After tapping the grounds into the wastebasket, you swish it out under the faucet and I then hold it upside down for reverse flow. Beats messing around with paper.

I always used the paper filters on the Aeropress, I rinsed mine off every day and used the same one for weeks at a time. I've heard the stories about paper absorbing oils etc. and imparting paper flavors, but the amount of paper in the Aeropress is so small that if any oils are deposited on the cellulose fibers, I think the fraction would so tinyl it would be eclipsed by the many other known sources of variation.

Anyway, this pour over product offers control of many variables when you need smaller quantities and it doesn't require the muscle needed to operate an Aeropress either pouring
walt_in_hawaii
I love a good French press or espresso too :( but recently I've been using exclusively pour overs with a paper filter. The reason was as John mentioned, that paper absorbs diterpenes, which are supposed to affect the rate at which cholesterol is absorbed in your body. I didn't pursue the issue further (the next obvious question is how much of an effect are we talking about? if we are looking at <1% difference then who cares?) as I'm supposed to be watching my cholesterol intake. yeah yeah, I know, there isn't any real evidence of dietary cholesterol being causationally tied to in vivo accumulation etc... then again, I'm not gonna fly in the face of Newtonian physics and drop a 10 lb anchor on my toe just to test it out. Makes sense, no? good enough for me. I do know there is a big difference in taste when there is no paper; I wistfully look at my French press sometimes.
I do have an aero press, but its still in the shrink wrap, I guess we are all creatures of habit and I haven't broken it out to try it as I've been pretty happy with the cups I've gotten... sigh. Confucius say, 'opportunity may knock, but a man must still get up to open the door'. So many things to do!

Oh, by the way, do you guys pre-wet your paper filters? I didn't think it would make a difference, but tried it empirically and BOY does it ever! I now use about a quarter cup of boiling water and just rinse the paper filter out a bit before putting the grounds in... I guess there is 'paper taste' to wash out first.

aloha,
walt
Edited by walt_in_hawaii on 09/09/2016 1:31 PM
walt_in_hawaii
OK, curiosity got the better of me. According to a 2007 Science Digest report, 5 cups of unfiltered coffee per day can increase cholesterol 6% to 8% because of the diterpenes.
My morning mug is usually slightly less than 3 fluid cups (1 large mug), so I guess if the relationship is linear (not a valid assumption, but I don't have any better data) then I'm looking at a ballpark of 3-4% increase in cholesterol if unfiltered.... not gonna kill you by next week, but its significant (for me anyway, I'm not a spring chicken).
ChicagoJohn

Oh, by the way, do you guys pre-wet your paper filters?
aloha,
walt

I wet the Aeropress filter only because it expands when wet and I feel better about its flatness when clamped in place by doing so after it is wet.
seedlings
I picked up an Osaka Titanium filter a few days ago. Probably comparable to the one in original post. Very tasty pourover.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
JackH
I just bought one. I have been using the clever coffee dripper for years and the e-prance seems much better. No filters and it fits the top of my large coffee mug. (I had to make a adapter ring for the clever coffee dripper so it would fit my favorite mug.)

So far this looks like a winner. Thanks John for letting us know about it.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
turtle

walt_in_hawaii wrote:

Oh, by the way, do you guys pre-wet your paper filters? I didn't think it would make a difference, but tried it empirically and BOY does it ever! I now use about a quarter cup of boiling water and just rinse the paper filter out a bit before putting the grounds in... I guess there is 'paper taste' to wash out first.

aloha,
walt

I have always rinsed paper filters, even my commercial Bunn filters.

I keep my brewed coffee in an airrpot or thermal carafe (depending on how much I am making).

I place the filter holder with filter over the airpot or carafe, heat 2 cups of water to boiling in the microwave, then run it through the filter and holder into the air pot or carafe.

This rinses the paper taste, preheats the filter holder AND the airpot or carafe.

If I am using a single brew/pour system like a Chemex or Bodum cone I will pour the hot water out of the container into the airpot or carafe after rinsing the Chemex filter.

I would do this even if it did not rinse the paper taste as it warms both the basket and the carafe. You don't want your brew water or brewed coffee to change temp drastically as that DOES effect the taste.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
turtle

ChicagoJohn wrote:

That's the one I got, and I think it works great.

Does it fit in a 60 degree cone brewer like the Hario/Chemex brewer?

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia
ChicagoJohn

Does it fit in a 60 degree cone brewer like the Hario/Chemex brewer?

Not quite sure what you are asking... This is a stand-alone brewer that has a separate stand which comes with. The mesh part that you put the grounds in forms a truncated cone with a top (opening) diameter of 110 mm and a base (bottom) diameter of 12 mm. So if this were a full cone it would have a radius at the opening of 55 mm and a full height perpendicular to the tip of 105 mm, so considering my errors in measurement, roughly 2:1 ratio of height-to-base radius.

The angle formed between the center vertical and the side at the tip of the cone, would be arcsin = 0.5 or 30 and the total angle is therefore 60. So if the Hario / Chemex brewer has a 60 angle, I would think this cone should fit into those cones.

I just have mine resting on the little stand over my cup and that seems to work fine since liquids that go through the fine screen inside and then the larger holes in the cone shell travel down the outside to the 12 mm end where they drip off into the cup.

Hope this helps give you a better picture of what it is.
Jump to Forum: