Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Butter-oil roasting / Roasting with cacao / Vietnamese roating
dwitting
Hello everyone,

i have discovered recently the Vietnamese Trung Nguyen coffee. What surprised me is that the coffee has a flavor of chocolate.

I tried with the Gene 101 Roaster to roast coffee beans with coffee bean. Technically it worked. But the taste was nothing special and my grinder did not like it very much. (the cacao beans made block the grinder).

Then i tried to find other information how to give chocolate flavor to the roasting process. I found some information that in Vietnam they roast with sugar or butter-oil.

Does anyone has an idea how does it works ? Specially when you have a small Gene 101 Roaster ?

And did anyone experienced to roast coffee bean with cacao bean / chocolate / ? anything else go give a flavor during the roasting process ?

Thanks,
Dan

ChicagoJohn
Hi Dan,
I have no experience trying to give chocolate flavor to coffee beans during roasting, although I've heard that some varieties of coffee have a coffee-like flavor, especially when roasted to a dark level.

As you pointed out, cacao beans are roasted, and the flavorful solids are separated out as cocoa powder from the cocoa butter / fat portion. Chocolate can be made by recombining the cocoa power with the melted cocoa butter, adding sugar, and tempering.

When you tried to grind roasted cocoa beans, the cocoa butter in them is probably what was responsible for clogging your grinder. But what about just adding a small quantity of cocoa power to your cup after brewing the coffee?

It is pretty bitter by itself, so maybe a little cream and sugar too? I am pretty sure that is how they make "coffee mocha", isn't it?

Like you, I find the flavor of coffee blends very well with that of chocolate, and now that you've posted your question, I think I'll try doing this myself since I have the ingredients as I've made my own chocolates from the cocoa power and cocoa butter constituents. By the way, raw cocoa butter has a chocolate aroma but not much of a chocolate taste at all -- the taste comes from the cocoa powder.

Thanks for posting your question. Maybe someone else will have a better answer to the exact question you are asking.

(P.S. -- you can also buy chocolate "nibs" (which can be eaten directly or added to chocolate bars) and perhaps these could be added to brewed coffee as an alternative too.)
So many beans; so little time....

dwitting
Dear Jon,

adding chocolate after the brewing is definitively a solution. Here i am seeking the secret of different grinding techniques ;).

Maybe adding chocolate nibs or chocolate powder during the roasting could be a solution. Just that i am afraid that the chocolate does melt and the destroy the roaster ?!

ChicagoJohn

dwitting wrote:

Dear Jon,

adding chocolate after the brewing is definitively a solution. Here i am seeking the secret of different grinding techniques ;).

Maybe adding chocolate nibs or chocolate powder during the roasting could be a solution. Just that i am afraid that the chocolate does melt and the destroy the roaster ?!

It has already been roasted once, and probably requires a different time-temperature profile from coffee beans anyway. Hopefully someone will be able to advise you. BBQ grill
So many beans; so little time....

Jump to Forum: