Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ginny Powell
JackH
It is with great sadness that we announce that the owner and founder of Homeroasters.org, Ginny Powell, passed away suddenly on January 4, 2017. She will be greatly missed by all of us.

More information will be posted when available.

Myself and all of the current Administrators will continue to function on the site and are available by PM.

Rest in Peace Ginny.

i.imgur.com/CGrwj6b.jpg

She loved this Dino.

roar
Edited by JackH on 08/24/2018 5:34 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Randy G
I received one or two very kind letters from Ginny in the midst of a heated discussion with another HR.org member. She actually apologized for the hassle I was having and took the time to tell me how much my presence was appreciated here on homeroasters.org.

I have "digitally met" a few people on the Internet through my participation in the coffee community over the last 16 years. Three or four standouts come to mind who I will never likely forget. Ginny was one of them; so difficult to type 'was.'

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

ChicagoJohn

JackH wrote:

It is with great sadness that we announce that the owner and founder of Homeroasters.org, Ginny Powell, passed away suddenly on January 3, 2017. She will be greatly missed by all of us.

More information will be posted when available.

Myself and all of the current Administrators will continue to function on the site and are available by PM.

Rest in Peace Ginny.

Thank you so much for posting this, Jack. She will indeed be missed.
So many beans; so little time....

jkoll42
There are so many things that could be said (and will be) but let me simply say G was special, gave so much, and IMHO allowed for rapid progression through this forum of homeroasting to levels I do not believe would have been possible without her. She attracted great technical minds, newbies and managed to keep/pull threads out of the weeds!

The one great thing was how she kept it fun - case in point when the jazzyhands was randomly (accidentally) added and I thought it was hilariously awesome it stuck around to this day.

Dino for you G roar

Hope their is delicious smelling smoke up in heaven right now.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Sunrise
very sad news, will be greatly missed, my condolences and sure other roasters from U.K, Rest In Peace Ginny

snwcmpr
forum.homeroasters.org/images/smiley/graphics-3d-smileys-363731.gif
I can roast because of this site.
This site is here because of Ginny.

"That's all I have to say about that."

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

yamhill
I never met Ginny, save here on homeroasters.org. I've learned a lot thanks to her and this forum and the way it connects us.
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

Koffee Kosmo
Ginny and I have had many private email conversations that went well past midnight on my end of the globe

Always cordial always wanting to lend a hand
She could also be very cheeky and had a wicked sense of humour

Also remember the time she made me a moderator
Her words were " I like the way you think and willing to help others " you are now a moderator

She will be missed

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

turtle
Hard to read.

Hard to comprehend.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Brandon
This was one of the first places I landed 3 years ago when I bought a popcorn popper and wondered what the heck I was doing. I don't know that I had a personal conversation with her, but if you judge a person by the fruit they bear, I look at the helpful, friendly folks that have assembled around her, I can't help but be impressed.

Thanks Ginny.

Lawnmowerman
Ginny personally helped me in my search for certain coffee equipment that I use daily, and was able to find ittiki at a greatly discounted price. Her help will be appreciated daily.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Buena Fortuna
Saddened to hear the news of Ginny's passing. This site has been a great source of inspiration and information in my roasting journey. Thank you Ginny for your contribution to the home roasting community, you will be missed.
Good home roasts start with great coffee but seldom vice versa.
Behmor 1600+
West Bend Poppery I & II
Breville Smart Grinder Pro
ECM Giotto II
Starbucks (Saeco) Barista
Chemex
Aerpress

woodchuck
Sad to hear the news. This site got me through my first Hottop and fueled my passion for roasting.
Roasters: TJ-067, Hottop with TC4C and RAF Mods
Espresso: LaSpaziale VII/Macap M4 Grinder
Pour over: Bonmac Pro Cone
Press: Bodum

Mustang967
So sad to hear. She will be missed. My prayers are with her family.

roar

MPSAN
I can not believe this news! I have swapped a few emails with her and she ALWAYS was a great help. This is a surprise to EVERYONE!
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

dianespow
Hi - I'm Ginny's sister, Diane. She passed quite suddenly the early hours of Wednesday 1/4/17 (initially reported as Tues. 1/3 on Facebook). Thank you for sharing your memories, thoughts & condolences. The ongoing coffee joke between us? I always brought her coffee from my travels (including weird, wild, stalk-looking things from an Ethiopian vendor selling from a blanket) but I don't drink it myself (!). Yeah, I know some people just don't get it . . . thanks again for your kind words.

roar

JackH
Thanks Diane!
So many messages for Ginny here and on other sites. She had many friends.

I don't know how she did it all. A wonderful person.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

threwitallaway
I've only been on the forum for a couple of years but always took note of anything "Ginny" stated in a discussion. Like many others, this forum helped me get off the ground with my HotTop and I will miss her input and presence here.

nate

John Despres
My friends,

It's taken a few days to deal with this. Ginny was my friend, my Tootsie-Pop, she loved it when I called her that. I never met her or spoke with her in person, yet she was a great friend, ending every email or PM with 'love'. I'm sure and I hope she did that for many of you as well.

Ginny loved this site, loved you and, of course loved roasting. Her passion to keep this site going was deep and never ending. I've been lurking more than participating for some time and the site has the power of membership to keep going without the Big G. This site is all of ours to keep alive.

I joined in 2008 when there was less that 600 members, maybe less that 400, I don't remember... That growth can continue. There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to make sure the site stays alive. I will help in any way I can and will do what I'm asked to do by those who are currently more active. Please keep me in mind for help!

Now a story - I have a copy of the coffee Bible, William Uker's "All about Coffee". I mentioned on here somewhere in passing I'd like to have a copy. G offered to sell me one of her copies. One of them; I don't know how many she owned, but I get to buy one of them. This is a pretty rare book and I was pretty thrilled to be getting my own copy. It's the second edition, not the even more rare 1st edition and it arrived in days.

She sent me a pristine, mint condition copy. For the price I paid, I felt like I stole it from her and was greatly moved by her 'gift'. Oh, it wasn't perfect enough, she said. It was dusty.

Maybe, but I have some of Ginny's dust in my office.

I'll miss you forever, Tootsie-Pop.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

dianespow
In lieu of a traditional obituary for my late sister, Ginny aka "G Paris Powell" on Facebook, family members chose to write individual tributes we plan to share when next together (most are in CA but also AZ, IL, LA, PA, etc.)

Here's a recent one of mine: The epitome of 'Runs With Scissors'; a creative, irreverent, witty, rebel sister who loved Apple, art, cars, coffee, dogs, Paris, pink, & tech toys. Oh Gin-Gin, how the HELL can you be gone?

I've been asked about charities & suggested "Coffee Kids", the one at www.coffeekids.org, a non-profit assisting coffee farm families.

roar

farmroast
So many wonderful memories since I joined Ginny's site in 2006. Fundraisers, contests, bean swaps and a lot of just fun times. Ginny did so much to make it a truly creative and supportive community. Back in the earlier days, off the shelf roasters were very limited so the options were modifying and hotrod builds. Ginny provided a great workspace for working on these project. In the world history of homeroasting she is truly a Hall of Famer roar
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

allenb
I'll never forget a day sometime in 2011 when I was discussing that we should add some roaster forum categories before she made me an admin. I was asking Ginny and John D about their thoughts on the subject and Ginny told me she would give me admin access to everything to be able to make the needed changes myself. A few weeks later after making several changes, I mentioned to her that she could put me back to non-admin status. She said something to the effect, no, no need for that, you'll make a fine admin so we'll keep it as it is. I was in shock that she trusted me and gave me the chance to become an admin without grilling me on what I knew or testing me to find out if I'd be a fit.

When she had a hunch or feeling about something, she just went with it and trusted her intuition. I too had many lively conversations with her, some pretty heated but we always made up the next day in a PM chat.

I really really miss her!!!!

Cheers Ginny!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

John Despres

allenb wrote:

...I mentioned to her that she could put me back to non-admin status. She said something to the effect, no, no need for that,...

"Something to the effect"!!! Bwahahaha!!!

Yeah, what she said cannot be posted on a family website!!!

That's a great story, Allen.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

allenb
Well, Ginny did have a way with words and was able to articulate with bravado and focused intense clarity!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

simmich
Bye bye sweet lady...sorry we never met, R I P.

Jump to Forum: