renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from Santa Rosa (California)
AA_Inferno
Hello!

I have long been interested in roasting my own coffee, but the price of roasters always kept it out of reach. I tried an air pop with mixed results and stove top with better but still unsatisfactory results. Commercial roasters are very expensive! A decent one that offers good results seems to start at ~1k. I know the Behrmor is less but the Hottop seems to be the cheapest commercial roaster from which one can actually get good consistent results accounting for all variables. Coffee at costco is pretty cheap and its hard to justify the cost.

But then I found this forum, and the roaster Rob designs. Dude's a genius! Its not easy to create an elegant and (relatively) simple design. Anyone can come up with a complex design, but making something that is just as good or better that is less complex to me is really difficult.

I am still researching and reading a lot, but its only a matter of time until I build my own roaster. I am very interested in roasting both for personal consumption and to sell at local farmer markets.

Thanks for the generosity of everyone here; it takes time and effort for you experienced guys to post your knowledge for us noobs. Even though many may not actually post and say so, I guarantee that many benefit from this forum. Thanks!

Now I have to choose between a fluid bed and BBQ roaster!

renatoa
welcome to forum

The answer could be Turbo Oven ;)
The simplest way to roast one pound under $100 with least mods and electronics added.

BBQ grill
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Moded commercial: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electrics: TC4ESP, MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps, PID controllers
Grinders: Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair, Kompresso, Rota Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

turtle
Welcome to HRO...

I would recommend starting with a home sized roaster.

Get to know how to roast before moving to the kilo sized machines

All a big machine will do for you in the beginning is give you large quantities of badly roasted coffee until you understand the roasting process.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Randy G

turtle wrote:

All a big machine will do for you in the beginning is give you large quantities of badly roasted coffee until you understand the roasting process.

In other words, a big roaster will let you ruin a lot of coffee in the same amount of time you could be spending ruining less coffee...Roflmao

Roasting coffee is more than an obsession- definitely an addiction. It is also something to commit to for the long haul. I have been home roasting for over 16 years. I have learned more about roasting good coffee in the last 1 year than in the previous 15, and still am an amateur compared to the pros I have spoken to.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

ChicagoJohn
Welcome
So many beans; so little time....

AA_Inferno
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

SmokNmirz
What would you all think about the Bella Taiwan Mini500???
L-1p, HG-1-motorized, Monolith Flat, (ordered) mini500Plus.

If whatever you do does not put a smile on your face then rethink what you are doing.

Jump to Forum: