Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Reformat TC4C with current software
allenb
I've put my older TC4 rate of rise filtering change on hold for now since my TC4C with LCdapter starting experiencing random reboots.

I want to reformat the TC4C with the latest Arduino IDE and load the latest version of Roastlogger which I've downloaded onto my laptop and have libraries in a separate folder ready to go.

What is the procedure to accomplish this? Does one load the new IDE, Roastlogger etc onto the TC4C and it automatically dumps the old or does one need to delete the old software first prior to loading the new?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

btreichel
Download the IDE, and then load the sketch into the Arduino. Know nothing about the rest of it.

JackH
You install the Arduino IDE on your computer and set it up. Any new sketch you load into the TC4 will overwrite the old one.

My instructions in the download section should work but the versions of the IDE and TC4 sketch I refer to have newer versions.

I am assuming you are running windows.

My instructions:
https://forum.hom...load_id=22

Arduino IDE V1.0.6 which you need. don't use the newer version!:
(I used the windows installer)
https://www.ardui...reReleases

You can find the latest Roastlogger Sketch at the Roastlogger site:

http://roastlogge...nload.html
Edited by JackH on 01/03/2018 3:46 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
I've gotten everything downloaded to my folders on my computer but I have the latest version of the Arduino IDE (1.8.5), so don't use that one but use (1.0.6)?

What problems occur if using the newer version?;

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

btreichel
Could cause compatibility isuues with the newer IDE with the older software, and yes it'
Will over write the existing code. No, you can't upload code from an Arduino. You can do a test compile to see if any issues exist, aka w/o downloading, but still no guarantee of it running correctly.

JackH
It is confusing but I believe there is the original version of the roastlogger sketch (V3.1) which will compile only with Arduino IDE V1.0.6.

There is also a newer version of the sketch (V3.4) which works only with IDE V 1.6.6 or above.

Just use the latest version of the TC4 sketch (V3.4) since you already have IDE V1.8.5 installed.

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/capture_64.jpg
JackH attached the following image:
capture_64.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Will2
Nothing to worry about.
User.h can be edited directly here (Arduino IDE) before compiling.

Edited by Will2 on 01/04/2018 10:39 AM
Viliam

allenb
Thanks Jack, Ben and Will!

Finished reloading Arduino to 1.0.6 and compiled the works to my TC4C and all back and stable.

Hopefully will get years of trouble free roasting out of this reload.

Allen

snwcmpr
My old software/hardware is fine. I hope it stays that way, I have forgotten how I installed it.
Thank you for this thread.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

allenb

My old software/hardware is fine. I hope it stays that way, I have forgotten how I installed it.

Before rereading Jacks excellent instructions, I tried to go back through the miles of TC4/TC4C threads thinking I could regain the information I had in my head when I built my first TC4 to load the IDE and sketches but got nowhere fast. Without the work Jack did in creating a step by step doc, I would have most likely pulled out the few remaining hairs on my head and hired someone to do it for me. If one doesn't live in the microcontroller tech world to keep ones skills honed in moving sketches around and customizing them, it's painful to go through these procedures and so easy to botch it up before hitting the finish line.

Allen

snwcmpr

allenb wrote:

Before rereading Jacks excellent instructions, I tried to go back through the miles of TC4/TC4C threads thinking I could regain the information I had in my head when I built my first TC4 to load the IDE and sketches but got nowhere fast. Without the work Jack did in creating a step by step doc, I would have most likely pulled out the few remaining hairs on my head and hired someone to do it for me. If one doesn't live in the microcontroller tech world to keep ones skills honed in moving sketches around and customizing them, it's painful to go through these procedures and so easy to botch it up before hitting the finish line.

Allen

Yeah, what he said.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: