Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fluid Bed Air Roaster & Cooler
dennist3

A Leaf Blower assists the heatguns with more than enough additional air flow for bean circulation. Temperature in this roaster is directly related to air flow, as in a popcorn popper. No air flow means WAY too hot. Too much air flow means too cool (which is a tremendous advantage for cooling). The air flow is controlled manually via a damper opposite the blower where excess cool air exits the roaster.

Just curious have you thought about a VARIAC for the blower to control the air flow?
Dennis
AKA
FC1(SW/AW) Dennis W. True
USN (ret.)

HG/DB roasting in the warm Cuban Sun

Check out my Blog!!!!!
http://coffee-kit...gspot.com/

seedlings
Yes I did consider a variac. I didn't use one because of cost. A variac would've over doubled my construction costs. I wanted to make something for under $100. I did try to place a 60W lightbulb in series with the blower, but the blower didn't come on.

If I had one on hand... I definately would do that!

Thanks for the input. If one of you brave souls tries a mock up of this rig, try the variac to let me know!

Thanks,
CHAD

seedlings
I did a new time lapse video. Here you go. It's possible this link won't work, but here goes:

ROASTER VIDEO CLICK HERE

You probably already clicked it, but turn your sound down before you start it Grin .
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 07/22/2007 7:56 PM

Mike
Chad

Link worked!

Great video.......I could smell it.

You've accomplished the elusive removable roast chamber.....congrats.

Mike
B)

seedlings
Mike, had I known a removable roast chamber was ellusive, I probably wouldn't have tried it!

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

CHAD

seedlings

Homeroaster wrote:
We really have some creativity flowing, right at the last days of the contest! Woo Hoo! What a cool design.

Thanks, Homeroaster;) - I was afraid the stiff competition would show up late in the game... but bring it on! I'm sure you'll have a very large crop in the fall contest. I may even have a new design B).

Can't wait to see what else comes in

CHAD

ginny
CHAD:

I fine, fine roaster. Great work. Super presentation. Way cool.

Are you aware that this judge can be bought?

lots of luck,

ginny

s:8s:8s:8s:8

seedlings

ginny wrote:
CHAD:

I fine, fine roaster. Great work. Super presentation. Way cool.

Are you aware that this judge can be bought?

lots of luck,

ginny

s:8s:8s:8s:8

Ginny, I'm not giving you any more money, so stop asking!

:);)Grins:4c:2

CHAD

Coffeenut
Chad,

Having an air roaster that does a pound of coffee, easy to use...now there's a great alternative to the 3-4oz consumer air roasters! Liked your design and the time-lapse video. Great work!

Rick

dfluke
Looks like we have similar tastes!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfluke/789256333/in/set-72157594305402356/

Have you tried the Kona Extra Fancy? I got two lbs for Christmas and just now got to roasting. It's great, but the Altura isn't bad either.
Cheers and good luck with the contest.

seedlings

dfluke wrote:
Looks like we have similar tastes!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfluke/789256333/in/set-72157594305402356/

Have you tried the Kona Extra Fancy? I got two lbs for Christmas and just now got to roasting. It's great, but the Altura isn't bad either.
Cheers and good luck with the contest.

dfluke! First time anyone I've found online that I don't know personally uses the Roasterie coffee! Kona? No. How 'bout the new Panama Esmerelda Especial for only $157.29 for 8oz (roasted).

One of the reasons I switched to roasting was to save money. Paying $12/lb for (GREAT) roasted coffee was too much for the budget!

At the Roasterie, the Altura is second to the bottom in price. Last time I got the Brazil, which is the cheapest offering from there. Brazil was $4.04/lb and so if I bought 10lbs, that'd be $40.40 - and with free shipping on all orders over $40... My cheap side has been rewardedGrin. The Mexican Altura is... woah, just looked... it's now up from the low $4 range to $4.66/lb...!

This is why I just made my first green coffee purchase from Coffee Bean Direct. 25lbs of Ethiopian Yirgecheffe for $3.80/lb + free shipping. I'm splitting the bag with my 2 local roasting friends. It'll be my first time roasting Yirgecheffe. I'm excited. Should arriave Monday.

Coffeenut wrote:
Chad,

Having an air roaster that does a pound of coffee, easy to use...now there's a great alternative to the 3-4oz consumer air roasters! Liked your design and the time-lapse video. Great work!

Rick

Thanks very much Rick. I spent a lot of time trying to make the least expensive, repeatable, least complicated 1lb roaster I could. If someone wanted another one, I could make it tomorrow. If I roasted much more than one pound, it'd take away from the fun of roasting. I use about a pound a week, so once a week I get to roast!

Regardless of popular musical wisdom, "Coffee" is the word.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 07/26/2007 10:02 PM

seedlings
I dropped (broke) my long thermometer and replaced it with this shorter one.
seedlings attached the following image:
Temp1[366].jpg

seedlings
I decided it would be easier to keep an eye on, plus make consistent contact with the bean mass.
Temp 2[367].jpg

seedlings
So, I just poked a hole thru and viola. Perfect.

I've also been experimenting with a baffle placed between the blower and the hopper. I've found it to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the ambient blower noise. The cracks were MUCH more pronounced. I think soon I'll have some sort of shroud for the blower. I have some industrial rigid fiberglass insulation which has excellent sound absorption properties. I just need a way to be sure the fibers don't get sucked into the blower.

Are we ever "finished" modifying...?

CHAD
Temp 3[368].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 07/30/2007 10:50 PM

Alchemist
Hey, great job. I got my entries in, but I had yet to look around.

I do have a question. Is any of that galvanized metal in contact with the beans or the hot air flow? I can't tell and always thought galvanized/zinc coated was a no-no in roasting.

Not to leave it on a critical note, I LOVE your air flow damper. People seem to get so hung up on electronic this and that, it's really nice to see a simple physical solution.

seedlings

Alchemist wrote:
I do have a question. Is any of that galvanized metal in contact with the beans or the hot air flow? I can't tell and always thought galvanized/zinc coated was a no-no in roasting.

I read the same thing yesterday in another thread. Funny thing about studies..I read that aluminum may be linked to Alzheimer's disease, kidney and bone problems. And you can always find half a dozen studies to list the harmful effects of coffee! (Don't forget that the Aussies released a study recently regarding the harmful effects of printers and toner ink. They say it's as bad as smoking!) Plus, isn't BBQing bad for us too?

Oh, there is some RTV in contact with the beans as well. I contacted Permatex about 3 weeks ago regarding the safety of the CURED product. There's plenty of information on RTV Red BEFORE it cures, but no mention about after. I let Permatex know the particulars of how I am using it, but have yet to hear back.

:|

...but, this is the 1st generation and proves that the method works. I had planned on stepping up to an all aluminum version, but didn't in the initial phase because of cost.

Best of luck, Alchemist!

Oh, hey, your Zen II heat elements look like those electric charcoal starters. Is that what they are?

CHAD
Hopper drawing[391].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 07/31/2007 9:41 PM

Alchemist
OK, chemist hat on...

The difference lies in the known and documented toxicity level of zinc vs aluminum. Zinc (and copper) are both quite toxic and are regulated in drinking water for instance. You can use copper in cooking because it is used cool and alkaline, but you are warned never to use it hot and acidic. Zinc is the same way in regards to heat. Aluminum on the other hand is still in the circumstantial evidence category. "may be linked" is I think the phrase that is used most. The full toxicity is just not documented, if it even exists. The last theory I heard with Alzheimer's is that the extra levels of aluminum are results of the condition, not the cause.

As for you system, you could bake off the zinc coating. That heat gun up close should do the trick. It is just a surface coating. I don't know the particular RTV you used, but from what I recall, you should be fine with it after it is cured.

Dan
Thanks, John, safe roaster design is something that we are considering, not only materials, but mechanical and electrical safety, too.

ginny
hey dude, your wearing the wrong T-Shirt in the video!!

good work.

ginny

s:8s:8

Alchemist

Dan wrote:
Thanks, John, safe roaster design is something that we are considering, not only materials, but mechanical and electrical safety, too.

No problem. I know it is so tempting to use that easy to work with galvanized sheeting in all those great shapes. That was why I mentioned copper also - so easy to work with, but toxic if in the wrong place.

seedlings

Dan wrote:

I had asked (Ginny) several weeks ago for a list of criteria used for judging, in addition to what is listed in the official rules thread. I didn't get any more specific judging insight. Perhaps when you do a future roaster contest there might be a more detailed list.

I was wanting to know the criteria on which the roatsters will be judged... listed is:

1) Capacity in pounds/ounces
2) Type of heat (electric, propane, natural gas, other)
3) Type of agitation (drum, air, spoon, other)
4) Roasting time at maximum designed load
5) Roaster temperature at finish of max load
6) Explain in detail the process of roasting coffee with your roaster.

But I was wondering if there are any others.
-ease of use
-asthetics
-computer controlled
-cost
-originality
-repeatability...etc.

Because, for example, who can say that "propane is better than electric" or "a drum is better than a spoon." Perhaps I need to invest more time in making it look pretty, if that's real important. Or maybe I should add another heat source, then it'll be the hottest. I"m not willing to change everything to be the best at every category, but if there's something I've seriously left out, I'd like to know. Someone could make a Hottop/Stir crazy look like a REAL UFO and maybe that's what the judges are looking for.

CHAD

ginny
CHAD:

I did respond to you and mentioned that all of the items you addressed:

-ease of use
-asthetics
-computer controlled
-cost
-originality
-repeatability...etc. <<<

along with our initial list were clearly things we would look at when judging the contest.

it would be impossible to add every item, for every entrant, to a list of what we or anyone could possibly look for in a roaster.

Nothing is better then anything else CHAD.

There is no right or wrong here.

ginny
Edited by ginny on 08/02/2007 4:26 PM

seedlings
Here's the rebuilt hopper out of aluminum instead of galvanized.

CHAD
Aluminum Hopper[415].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 08/15/2007 7:00 PM

seedlings
...And the inside

CHAD
Aluminum Hopper Inside[416].jpg

seedlings
Thanks you Ed! I remember coming across homroaster.com just after I started roasting with a popper. I've always wanted to see your finished product on the air roaster!

Your comments about my roaster are well taken. A large part of why I posted in the first place was for comments. I like to have second and third angles to give insight. I remade the hopper when I found out that galvanized was "bad," but didn't post it because I didn't want it to influence the judging since it wasn't done before the threads were locked. And one of my high priorities was building cost, therefore the OSB board. I watched as my house was built and the HVAC ducts and cold air returns are made of galvanized and, in places, OSB filler between the trusses to create the air seal, so that's one reason I figured those materials might be OK. I didn't like the loud noise, nor the additional plugs requred, but, again, 1lb for less than $100 was my original goal. My new goals are Safety, Cost, Ease of Use and Simplicity (aka repeatability).

There aren't words enough to fully express my gratitude to you all!

CHAD

Jump to Forum: