Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
HotTop B2k
mkane
Been using a Brhmor + for a year or so, roasting every other day. Someone talked me out of a Quest and I'm thinking an HT B2k will be a good upgrade. Is my thinking sound? thanks
Always learning

arawak
Just saw this
What did you do eventually?

renatoa
So you halve the roast quantity, paying double money... for what reason ?
Looking at the manufacturers roast instructions I found the heat management very questionable... charging with heat 100%, then maintaining at 100% and NO FAN for first three minutes !
Very strange... such regime would destroy the beans on any machine I know... unless it is severely under powered.
Possible to obtain great results, a lot of people seems pleased and will testimony, but the knowledge you gather using this machine would not help to operate others without re-schooling... the right way Grin

Tavake12
I have the Hottop + with USB and connect to Artisan.

renatoa seems to be talking about the "Auto" program on the Artisan.

This program does produce a nice roast for most beans, however, it is easy to improve.

You can run the Auto program, make changes to the fan settings and heat settings manually on the front of the machine, and then save the program for later. No user is "stuck" with this roast profile. So it is easy to start with a higher charge temperature, run the fan early in the cycle, and set the heat at whatever you like.

What I just wrote is true for every current model Hottop, whether it has the USB capability or not.

With the + model, you can connect to a computer and control the roast with Artisan, which is really better because you gain some predictability.

Hottop seems to me to be the best of the electric home drum roasters. It can easily roast 1/2 lb, can do it very repeatably, and is easy to set up and take care of.

The downside is the same downside as all other electric heating element roasters, you really have to think ahead, and you cannot do instantaneous heat changes.

The upside is that you can get great roasts, and all you have to do is open the box and plug it in. Everything is there for you, drum, heater, cooling tray with fan, smart internal controller, even air filters so you can roast indoors.

I did my first roast 20 minutes after opening the box, and it turned out fine. Successive roasts are getting better and better.

Some people like messing around with things, some even build their own roasters, which is very cool. I have other projects that eat up my hobby time, but am addicted to home roasted coffee, so this was a good solution for me.

renatoa
No Auto, I wrote about HT roaster manufacturers instructions, from user manual.

The " think ahead ... and ... instantaneous changes" are characteristics of drum roasters, or other models using high inertia heat transfer methods. The models using hot air based electric roasting methods don't exhibit these "features".

So, "the best" is debatable.
Edited by renatoa on 01/21/2020 7:30 AM

Tavake12
renatoa: You are right. The hot air roasters are also electric, my bad.

I don't consider the slow reaction time of the big heating element to be a feature!

If I could have found an out-of-the-box reasonably automated fluid-bed solution, I would have gone for it, but the ones I saw on the market don't seem to have the same level of automation as the Hottop.

I certainly don't think the Hottop is the best by any means. It seems to offer exactly what I wanted in a roaster.

renatoa
In the past, you are right, but today... chinese market is a wonder cave that worth exploring Grin

www.aliexpress.co...14049.html

Tavake12
Nice unit. Doesn't appear to have USB plug for external control.
Would Artisan have a driver for this unit?

Jump to Forum: