Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
BBQ roaster with mass bean probe by hananonn
hananonn
Hi all.
Just joined.
Was linked here by a member of green coffee buying club which Ir17;m a distributor and a member since the beginning.
Ir17;m not sure my entry is legit since I would like to commercially produce it. I came about building it looking for:
an easier, faster way to dump the beans in and out.
Get a better stirring for even roast.
I was able to achieve those very easy and cheap. By The oval shape of the drum with the vanes pushing the beans to the edges and than by the gravity and rotation going back to the center I added yet one more dimension to achieve even toast.
Than it downed on me that if I make the movement of the drum off center I could have another mixing enhancement, for it will push the beans side to side as the drum is turning.
What made my drum really special to me was a late revelationr30;r30;I could actually add a temp. probe through the center of one side, all the way to the middle of the space inside the drum, bend the tip a little and Walla, I have a probe almost touching the beans inside the drum as the profile is taking shape.
Of course it is not a t/c but after several roasts I learned the exact stages in correlations with the prober17;s temp manifestation. I now have almost a professional control of my roasts I can predict when the 2nd crack is going to take effect and that is when I take it out. City to city + is my preferred roast.

don't know how to place more than one pics in a topic so I will add them one by one.
sorrys:7
hananonn attached the following image:
roaster in motion[308].jpg

Edited by Dan on 07/26/2007 8:31 PM

hananonn
It will be nice to know how to attach more than one pics in one topic.
help is welcome.

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/probeview[307].jpg
probeview[319].jpg

Edited by hananonn on 07/27/2007 12:40 AM

Coffeenut
Hananonn,

Very interesting drum! To add more pics to your existing thread just click on the "Post Reply" button within the thread you started. You will need to post a reply for each additional pic you want to add. You can also add some text with each reply (and pic) for description purposes. When adding pics, don't select the "preview" of your reply or the pic will be deattached and need to be re-added.

Looking forward to seeing more of your grill roaster.

Rick

hananonn
please pardon my ignorance in how to post more than one pic in a topic.:(
beansdump[309].jpg

Edited by hananonn on 07/26/2007 2:49 PM

hananonn
this is the way it looks from the drum's space (un bended)
inside riveted roasted small[310].jpg

hananonn
holds the 2 parts together. opens in a snap. $7.5
bad weildings but since then I improved and now I rivet it and just tig it inside for permanent strength
first ss drum latch[311].jpg

Edited by hananonn on 07/26/2007 3:21 PM

hananonn
here is the original way I connected the drum to the motor.
I chose dc motor since it gives me the choice of independency form alternating current. Simple 2 speeds setting like just changing the amps at the battery charger I use to operate the spinner. Plus I can change directions by switching polarity. And more hooking up the 4 wires in such way it gives me more speeds options??I use a M Benz wiper motor I picked at the junk yard for (a rip-off price)$40.
Than there is the drill chuck which promotes the Off center turns but still allows me to choose a centered spin.
Here is the price break down for the DIY person:
The drum $20
Hinge:$ 4.00
Chuck $10.app.
BBQ $99
Motor: $40
Snap release ss $7.5
Brass shafts and couplings: $25
Probe:$12
Vanes: $ss 20
Rivets ss $10
Batt charger $20
Total included the BBQ and motor$ 265.
Labor? About 10/ man hrs not including researches.
Now after making the 5th for 2 club members and 2 neighbors I can do it in 3 hrs not including modifications to the BBQ.
I love it really, and after I won an RK drum for the GCBC Logo contest I?m utterly proud of this little gizmo (can?t help it) since I believe it is a cheap marvel for the results one can achieve.
My next generation (in the making with collaboration and brain storming of Solan, Paul and me) all members of the GCBC) is a drum that sample beans could be drawn in the roasting process.
Will keep you posted.
It is lovely to have found you guys . H)
motor-essembly[312].jpg

Dan
Very nice. Glad to see your entry here. Dan

hananonn
thanks dan.

I live in an unincorporated area between W.Creek and Lafayette?. Ca.

Mike
Nice job. Opens a whole new way of looking at a drum (pun intended).

MikeB)

Ace Sawbuck
Looks good. What is the drum's original intended Use? Ace Sawbuck

farmroast
Nice drum! With a screen across the middle you could roast 2 different batches at the same time. Ed

hananonn

Ace Sawbuck wrote:

Guess.;)

seedlings

hananonn wrote:

Ace Sawbuck wrote:

Guess.;)

Chestnuts?

CHADB)

hananonn

seedlings wrote:

hananonn wrote:

Ace Sawbuck wrote:

Guess.;)

Chestnuts?

CHADB)

Well the intended use of the parts where different. but the idea was to build a roaster from the get going. So you have 2 colanders, drill chuck, fast release, fast and easy latch?
I just had it all in my head at first. It had to be a better mouse trap. Like the oval shape I saw in a concrete mixer. The ability to move the beans back and force or from center to the edges and back, etc.

seedlings
Well, at least I was amused.

That's a LOAD of beans you're dumping there. Do you sell them, or can you consume that amount before they're stale?

CHAD

hananonn
Coffee is my main liquid intake.s:8

Ace Sawbuck
First picture appears to have a heat gun or hair dryer attached to the front of the grill, no mention in text. Does it add heat or airflow?s :s:1 ACE

hananonn
there is another heatgun in the back.
I use both , for anhanced heating, shuff blowing, and cooling between 1st and 2nd cracks. this helps prolonging the stay between the stages,does helping in establishing a complete profiling.

farmroast

hananonn wrote:
there is another heatgun in the back.
I use both , for anhanced heating, shuff blowing, and cooling between 1st and 2nd cracks. this helps prolonging the stay between the stages,does helping in establishing a complete profiling.
Nice way of putting on some brakes at end of first since the BBQ holds the heat

hananonn
Thanks Ed.
Like my father said as he was slapping me when I brought home an F. He is smart but playing is a priority.c:3

EddieDove
Like Ed stated, innovative on several levels! s:1

Not to take anything away from your other innovations, but I love the use of the heat guns for both the heat assist and cooling. Bravo! s:2s:2s:2

Please keep this updated with any new innovations and photos!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

Jump to Forum: