Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Miniature Vacuum Bucket Cooler Question
Ozo
I just returned from the thrift store and put this quick and easy bucket cooler together. It is made from a 10" cake mold (steel with non-stick coating) $2. and an 8" stainless steel colander $1.

On the way home I stopped at the Dollar Tree (the only true dollar store in Titusville, Fl) where I purchased a plastic 9 1/2" diameter trash container $1.

I then cut out (melted} a perfectly round hole near the bottom of the bucket which fits my Micro Shop-Vac hose nozzle . I used a 1 1/4" steel pipe that was heated and wearing silicone gloves was easy to make the hole.

I tested the cooler for seal and was pleasantly surprised to find it sealed very well as the colander was sucked tight against the cake pan lip even though the colander holes were not blocked. There are only holes in the bottom of the colander. Then I stupidly put a metal plate on top which collapsed the trash container Shock. It is a powerful vacuum which I recently purchased for $30 on Amazon specifically for cleaning my coffee grinder. It popped back into shape fortunately. I may double it to reinforce it but will certainly not cover it again when the vacuum is running.

The overall height of the bucket cooler is just 10".

Inspection is done after spreading the beans in a large pan as always.

I have one more thing to do. I want to enlarge the colander holes. I could just measure a bean but do not want the holes to be unsuitable for future beans which may be smaller. What would be the optimum size drill to use for this?

i.imgur.com/RQDyHy0.jpg

Notice the current holes in the colander.
i.imgur.com/8pSuszc.jpg

$2 Steel cake pan with removable insert. Note the in this photo the insert is reversed as I was planning to attach the vacuum to the insert but changed my mine.
i.imgur.com/hO06YVt.jpg

The $1 colander is two inches tall and holds 140 grams of roasted beans with enough room for manual stirring. Depth is 1/2"
[img] https://i.imgur.com/g9xlHja.jpg[/img]

EDIT: Already modified it. Got a 99 cent pvc fitting which was a tight fit in the hole. A 79 cent conduit nut fits the threads and clamps it on the bucket The vacuum hose adapter didn't fit inside so I took the adapter out of the vacuum hose and now the hose sans adapter fits over the threaded pvc fitting snugly after a wrap of Gorilla tape. It is not as pretty as some but it is less elaborate, protruding from the bucket just 3/4". It is easy to install. This brings the total cost of the cooler to just under $6
i.imgur.com/fEve3et.jpg

Bucket Comparison
i.imgur.com/pUIg51d.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/12/2018 1:09 PM
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
Nice design! As to your question regarding hole diameter, I roasted some Malawi peaberry recently so I got some of the smallest ones out to measure after roasting, and I get around 6.5 mm on the smallest dimension. Most were were larger than that and more typical roasted beans are over 8 mm. So I'm thinking that a 0.25" hole would be too small for the smallest ones to pass through.

Just thinking out lous, however, it would be possible for a bean to cover a hole and plug it up, so I was thinking maybe you could put a layer of screen right over the holes. That way there would be no way for the beans to plug the holes up, and it wouldn't matter how big the holes are. Just a thought.
So many beans; so little time....

Ozo

ChicagoJohn wrote:

Just thinking out loud, however, it would be possible for a bean to cover a hole and plug it up, so I was thinking maybe you could put a layer of screen right over the holes. That way there would be no way for the beans to plug the holes up, and it wouldn't matter how big the holes are. Just a thought.

That is brilliant and certainly is "simple" and would cool more efficiently with the largest holes possible. Thank you for the tip.

I realized that I got a 50% discount on the thrift store purchases so the total cost is $6. Another waste basket $1 and some screen brings it in well under $10.
Edited by Ozo on 08/12/2018 6:51 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

renatoa
0.25", i.e. 6mm is too much, imo.
Dieckmann Roestmeister drum mesh has 4x4mm square holes and I have a lot of beans (10-20) passing through, ended using the machine as a sorting/pre-grooming/destoner sieve instead a roaster.
Few are even stuck in the mesh wire at the end of the 3 minute sorting cycle.
I would go with 4 mm round holes, to match those used in fluid bed bottom plates.

Koffee Kosmo
I my cooler designs I use an exhaust fan
Prior to that I used a vacuum but had issues with heat melting plastic parts over time

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Ozo

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

I my cooler designs I use an exhaust fan
Prior to that I used a vacuum but had issues with heat melting plastic parts over time

KK

I have been looking at your designs as well as others to build this cooler so my design is certainly not original, just a bit smaller. I thank you all for sharing your designs.

Your use of the plastic insert, I assume, is what you refer to and Is one reason I used a steel insert. The cake pan is simple too as it already has a proper sized opening. The metal ones (aluminum or steel) are expensive so the thrift store is by far the best source ($2 for mine). The largest are 10" so are probably too small for the plastic buckets most commonly used.

If I could source a metal bucket this size I would certainly use that but I do like the bright color of the plastic one which to me is important. I suppose I could paint/decorate the metal bucket which would solve that complaint.

I would add that the vacuum style allows for manually stirring the beans to further promote cooling.
Edited by Ozo on 08/12/2018 6:25 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
Thermoplastics such as are used in the vacuum hose and fittings have a low glass transition temperature and are subject to creep-based dimensional change even if they don't outright melt. The heat coming from the 430?F bean mass will definitely raise the air temperature and the plastic well above Tg. Thermal conductivity of these plastics is also very low so the heat will remain in the air and go into the vacuum motor. They probably have a resettable thermal fuse that would stop the motor if it gets too hot (typically around 200?F) A section that promotes dissipation of heat in between would probably be a good idea, or maybe blowing the air up into the bean mass from the bottom so that heat is not an issue at all.

renatoa
You can consider the Ikea STABIL Steamer insert, stainless steel, $8.99, Article Number: 301.523.46
Holes are the perfect size to not let any bean pass.
Is the best stainless steel piece ready to use for roasting purposes I found in our market.

Ozo

renatoa wrote:

0.25", i.e. 6mm is too much, imo.
Dieckmann Roestmeister drum mesh has 4x4mm square holes and I have a lot of beans (10-20) passing through, ended using the machine as a sorting/pre-grooming/destoner sieve instead a roaster.
Few are even stuck in the mesh wire at the end of the 3 minute sorting cycle.
I would go with 4 mm round holes, to match those used in fluid bed bottom plates.

Thanks for the response. That is just what I was looking for but now am going with Chicago Johns suggestion above which will allow me to make the holes 1/2" (12.7mm) and still have 1/4" (6.35mm) separation between the holes which are closest together. That will cool much more efficiently I am certain.
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo

ChicagoJohn wrote:

Thermoplastics such as are used in the vacuum hose and fittings have a low glass transition temperature and are subject to creep-based dimensional change even if they don't outright melt. The heat coming from the 430?F bean mass will definitely raise the air temperature and the plastic well above Tg. Thermal conductivity of these plastics is also very low so the heat will remain in the air and go into the vacuum motor. They probably have a resettable thermal fuse that would stop the motor if it gets too hot (typically around 200?F) A section that promotes dissipation of heat in between would probably be a good idea, or maybe blowing the air up into the bean mass from the bottom so that heat is not an issue at all.

I had intended to pre-cool the beans using my earlier method of dual colanders prior to dumping them into the bucket for final cooling which will reduce the heat to the vac drastically. Actually that is one of the fun parts of the process.woohoo

I was dissatisfied with the tray cooling for final cool down which was awkward as I did it on the ground which meant a lot of bending over etc.. The bucket cooler will eliminate that part. I can do the inspection for duds and rocks easily in the kitchen.
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo

renatoa wrote:

You can consider the Ikea STABIL Steamer insert, stainless steel, $8.99, Article Number: 301.523.46
Holes are the perfect size to not let any bean pass.
Is the best stainless steel piece ready to use for roasting purposes I found in our market.

Those can be found in the thrift shop for little money and they are stainless and sturdy so will be in perfect condition.. I am assuming other brands have the same size hole. What size are the holes in the Ikea brand?
Tim

Andrea Illy

renatoa
4 mm holes, spaced 12 mm between centers.

Depend on local conditions, no shop stock such objects here, any fellow I know in our local community, about 50 home roasters, use exclusively this Ikea stuff.
And is only one Ikea shop in a 18 mil people 600 km country :)

There are plenty round/sherical colanders in our shops, but not good for cooling, all beans comes in the center, too many layers. The ikea thing can get about 160-170 grams roasted in a single layer of beans, no need for manual stirring up to three layers, thus 500 grams.

Ozo

renatoa wrote:

4 mm holes, spaced 12 mm between centers.

Depend on local conditions, no shop stock such objects here, any fellow I know in our local community, about 50 home roasters, use exclusively this Ikea stuff.
And is only one Ikea shop in a 18 mil people 600 km country :)

There are plenty round/sherical colanders in our shops, but not good for cooling, all beans comes in the center, too many layers. The ikea thing can get about 160-170 grams roasted in a single layer of beans, no need for manual stirring up to three layers, thus 500 grams.

Renatoa above confirms that 4mm is best.

I can not find that at Amazon or Ebay and a search of Ikea' web site does not either. Do you have a photo and/or a link?
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
Here is the colander with 1/2" holes. Notice around the outside there are no holes allowing room to seal. I might make a spacer to keep the beans away from that area if it seems to matter. I added quite a few holes to what was already there.

i.imgur.com/po8uqjn.jpg

I tested it (empty) with the vacuum and there was only a slight suction holding the colander against the inserts lip.

I will test again with the wire and beans in there when I get the wire.

EDIT: Here it is with some stainless steel screen in it. I will have to rivet it to the colander to keep it flat. The rivets can not interfere with the seal at the cake pan lip. Still, it will probably work as is without sucking beans into the vacuum.
i.imgur.com/x25f4rX.jpg

Cooled to ambient in 3 minutes
i.imgur.com/5gegUft.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/25/2018 7:18 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

renatoa

Ozo wrote:
I can not find that at Amazon or Ebay and a search of Ikea' web site does not either. Do you have a photo and/or a link?

https://www.ikea..../30152346/

1/2" = 12.7 mm will let pass even the cherry :)

Ozo

renatoa wrote:

Ozo wrote:

I did see that on their site but thought you were referring to something else and $27 for 3 is a fair price. Their store in Orlando, Fl is 35 miles from me.

I drilled the holes in my colander to pass the most air that it could with the intention of placing a screen over the holes. My roasts of 140 grams are 4 beans high so should cool with very little stirring. And, you will recall in my post above that I pre-cool them before dumping them into the colander. If there is any problem cooling, I may consider the stacking colanders. It does look like a good idea.
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo

renatoa wrote:

Ozo wrote:

Dimensions are 9" X 3". That is small enough for my bucket but I am curious as to the diameter of the lower part which fits into a pot.

EDIT: I checked shipping and it is $9 for one or for three, no difference. So the total for three is $35.97. You do realize that this puts my cooler in a different class and will require a stainless steel bucket or trash can to complete it. That would bring it in at about $70

EDIT: I added another plastic trash can to reinforce the cooler which made it thicker so the hose connector sticks out less but the hose still attaches but barely. When attaching the hose, pressing on it pushed in the flimsy can quite a bit but now is much more solid. It is finished now and only remains to be tested.
Edited by Ozo on 08/15/2018 5:35 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
I am finished building this cooler. I found no need to rivet the screen to the colander in fact the screen would have been difficult to clean if I had.

It has exceeded my expectations after using it recently. I had planned to pre-cool the beans prior to dumping them into the colander but did not. Also, I roasted more than usual which filled the colander to near the top which allowed for very little stirring. I did stir a little but not much. I do not think that is necessary as the beans cooled to ambient quickly. I am not sure exactly how long they took to cool as I put the probe in at 3 minutes and they were already at the ambient temperature.

I did get another $1 bucket to reinforce it as it depressed when attaching the vac hose. It does not do that much now. The length of the threaded attachment point is less now due to the double wall but is sufficient to retain the vac hose (barely).

The capacity is just over 260 grams.
Edited by Ozo on 08/17/2018 3:26 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn

Ozo wrote:

It has exceeded my expectations after using it recently.

The capacity is just over 260 grams.

That's great news! I'm guessing, then, that heating of the hose and vacuum was not an issue with the amount of product and volume of air your vacuum was pulling through it? If so, this sounds like you've got an ideal way to quickly quench the roasting process Nice work!

Ozo

ChicagoJohn wrote:

That's great news! I'm guessing, then, that heating of the hose and vacuum was not an issue with the amount of product and volume of air your vacuum was pulling through it? If so, this sounds like you've got an ideal way to quickly quench the roasting process Nice work!

I did not measure the temperature of the air at the hose or input to the vac but I will do that once I have dialed in a profile which is not so hot as this first test. It did not smell or indicate a problem but then it was hot for such a brief time that that may be why it was ok. I suppose cooling really large amounts in a larger bucket would produce high temps over a longer period which is why other people have reported problems using a shop vac..

Yea, I am pretty happy with it.Grin
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
I would like to give credit to Chicago John for his help in modifying the coolers tray (colander). It is very effective with the huge holes and screen that he suggested. It kept the cost down too as there was no need to buy another colander.

The screen is actually from a 6" strainer .
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
I had an overheating problem with the cooler. I was loaded to the max and the hose got hot and collapsed near the bucket. That hose is laughable so I ordered a heavy duty hose. It cost $40 but is 20' long and flexible so is a nice upgrade to my vacuum system..
Edited by Ozo on 09/21/2018 5:30 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Koffee Kosmo

Ozo wrote:

I had an overheating problem with the cooler. I was loaded to the max and the hose got hot and collapsed near the bucket. That hose is laughable so I ordered a heavy duty hose. It cost $40 but is 20' long and flexible so is a nice upgrade to my vacuum system..

That?s exactly what I meant on my earlier post - with plastic parts melting
Mind you I mostly cool 1 kg of beans at a time

That?s when I changed direction to an exhaust fan design

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Jump to Forum: