renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
West Bend Poppery I Fan Boost Wiring
Gullygossner
I have been scouring the web trying to find a wiring diagram along with an appropriate transformer that I can use in order to boost the Poppery I fan voltage.

There are many threads on this site but a lot of the photos/links are dead and the transformers referenced are no longer easily available so I hope it's ok to start a new thread on the subject.

I was hoping to use this Hammond Power Transformer for the job as I can source it locally and cheap.
https://www.be-electronics.com/product_p/166j25.htm

I have also attached a wiring diagram as to how I think it should be wired up.

I look forward to feedback.
Gullygossner attached the following image:
poppery_i_fan_booster_wiring.jpg

renatoa
25V is ok, 1A is not, aim for 2A at least. I.e. 50W(VA) transformer.
With this 1A capability, depending on motor you could experience voltage drop even under 20V.

Also, normal dimmers and inductive loads as is a the transformer doesn't play very well, I would use a DC PWM dimmer in the low voltage circuit, between the rectifier bridge and motor.

Gullygossner

renatoa wrote:

25V is ok, 1A is not, aim for 2A at least. I.e. 50W(VA) transformer.
With this 1A capability, depending on motor you could experience voltage drop even under 20V.

Also, normal dimmers and inductive loads as is a the transformer doesn't play very well, I would use a DC PWM dimmer in the low voltage circuit, between the rectifier bridge and motor.

Does this theory apply to the ac motor present in the poppery I? It seems like more of a DC motor thing.

renatoa
Are you sure that motor is really AC ?
Some DC motors have rectifier bridges embedded inside or built right on the poles.
Just wondering, I don't know exactly that motor, but never heard so far about a popper with true AC motor...

Gullygossner

renatoa wrote:

Are you sure that motor is really AC ?
Some DC motors have rectifier bridges embedded inside or built right on the poles.
Just wondering, I don't know exactly that motor, but never heard so far about a popper with true AC motor...

Yes the Poppery uses an AC fan motor. I'm looking to boost the voltage from 110V to 135V to facilitate a larger batch size. It is a common upgrade but as I mentioned I am struggling to find current links/info.

btreichel
I ran (could still) my P1's up to 135, and possibly below 110 (don't remember). Yes you need around 135 to get the mass started and about 30% less to get the heat in the bed when it gets moving. Always used a variac. Most commonly dual variacs. One fir the heat, one for the fan. Did run variations of heater control, but never the fan,

Gullygossner
I was able to find the circuit I was after using the internet archive. I have posted a screen shot of it below, my circuit drawing was incorrect but not far off.
Gullygossner attached the following image:
120v_to_135v_transformer_boost.png

scotthal
You'd probably be better swapping a cheap HarborFreight motor speed controller in for the 'dimmer' - not all of 'em can handle inductive loads.

Amusing fact - the Poppery I motor is actually a universal AC/DC, & will happily run on 150 VDC.
Food for thought; coffee for concentration

JackH
That Poppery I is a rugged unit if you can find one. I had a poppery II roaster for a while when I was starting.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Gullygossner
I wired up the Hammond Power Transformer 166J25 leaving out the dimmer switch and the plug (straight wired to the fan motor) at it worked a treat.

I also added this DROK 4000W 110V AC ACR Voltage regulator to the heating element to control the heat input. I purchased an additional unit with the intention of using it to control fan speed but I don't think my fan output will be high enough to warrant it.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00C470OBW/ref=twister_B01M28QVIX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I completed 3 back to back roasts (one 175g and two 200g) and am very impressed with the setup! I feel I could increase the batch sizes to 225g if I start out with a slight tilt to the machine.

Will definitely be on the hunt for one or two more Poppery units as backups.

btreichel
From what i remember with about a 15 degree tilt and a hurricane lamp attached to the metal base I was hitting about 280 gr at about 135 volts.

Gullygossner

btreichel wrote:

From what i remember with about a 15 degree tilt and a hurricane lamp attached to the metal base I was hitting about 280 gr at about 135 volts.

Thank you for the information. I use the above mentioned method and am hoping to bump my roast sizes up to that 250-280g range. Will be attempting a larger batch size on the next roast.

btreichel
It helps to have some air moving before you 'charge' the roaster.

JavaDave2
Help guys!! I just tried this wiring diagram to boost fan and now my West Bend Poppery Fan motor is just buzzing when I turn the dimmer switch on. I am getting zero air movement from the fan.

renatoa
Whose dimmer, Heater or motor you turn on ?
Do you have two separate dimmers ?

Jump to Forum: