renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Upcycled Drum Motor?
CharcoalRoaster
I was cleaning out my garage today and found an old scroll saw my dad had given me a few years back that was just collecting dust. As I was about to put it on the curb I thought to myself that I should pull the motor to see how possible it would be to reuse it for a drum motor perhaps.

1725 rpm
120v AC
2amp
3/8" drive shaft

Can I run this at a lower RPM with a variable speed controller? The reason I'm thinking about using it is that it's QUIET

Thoughts?

JackH
Most scroll saws are set up for variable speed. My saw runs from 300 - 1700 RPM. Not sure what drum size this would be able to move.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa
Better a gear, lowering speed by any other method to an usable 2 digits RPM will reduce also the power/torque proportionally.
300 is too much for a drum, maybe for a centrifugal roaster...

CharcoalRoaster

JackH wrote:

Most scroll saws are set up for variable speed. My saw runs from 300 - 1700 RPM. Not sure what drum size this would be able to move.

This is an older model that only had an on/off switch with no variable speed control

CharcoalRoaster

renatoa wrote:

Better a gear, lowering speed by any other method to an usable 2 digits RPM will reduce also the power/torque proportionally.
300 is too much for a drum, maybe for a centrifugal roaster...

I'm not sure I totally understood Renatoa... are you saying that (1) 300 RPM is too much for a drum? and (2) A better motor would be lower gear/higher torque?

BobbyS
I run my 8.5 inch drum with 3lbs of beans between 65rpm and 75rpm depending on the bean

renatoa
1 - yes, 300 rpm, directly on drum shaft is too much, without a gear down.
The 300 figure was been taken from JackH post, assuming your 1725 rpm motor could be variable rpm as him.

2 - is not about better or worse, technically is simply very difficult to make a 60 rpm enough torque motor without a gearbox. Is possible, but not make sense.
For an induction motor, rpm = 2 * 60 * mains frequency / poles count
So for 60 RPM you need a huge 120 poles count, a lot of wiring that cost a lot more to manufacture than a gearbox.
They are made for high performance drones, looks from other world, and cost the same...
http://store-en.t...php?id=362

Your motor would be better suited for an exhaust fan or similar job.
For drum, use an factory built geared motor, the 70KTYZ series are cheap if you plan less than 1 kg build.
Edited by renatoa on 12/28/2019 6:38 AM

CharcoalRoaster

BobbyS wrote:

I run my 8.5 inch drum with 3lbs of beans between 65rpm and 75rpm depending on the bean

ThumbsUp What motor do you use?
Edited by CharcoalRoaster on 12/28/2019 7:26 AM

CharcoalRoaster

renatoa wrote:

1 - yes, 300 rpm, directly on drum shaft is too much, without a gear down.
The 300 figure was been taken from JackH post, assuming your 1725 rpm motor could be variable rpm as him.

Ok I understand now, thank you.

BobbyS

CharcoalRoaster wrote:

BobbyS wrote:

ThumbsUp What motor do you use?

I run a DC motor with a speed control. It is a geared motor that I got on Surplus.com I believe?

renatoa
Hint: Windscreen Wiper Motor, 55 rpm Grin
Lots of torque, probably cheapest, because widely used, easy to control RPM by varying PWM/voltage.

Jump to Forum: