renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Working on my new sifter roaster
RetroFit
As with a lot of things I do I started building this without a real idea of how it's all going to work in the end. I was planning on getting a better heat gun than the one that I own, however after trying it out the CFM was still too low to even turn the free floating fan. I thought it would make for a nice heat distribution, but alas that failed. There are other model heat guns that would probably do it, but at this point I don't think it's necessary or worth the $ and will probably just remove the fan. We'll see. Since I've been on this site I've already started thinking about wanting to make a fluid bed roaster as I don't think this is going to roast all that much more than my current roaster which can do a half pound.

I want to at least finish what I've started though.
RetroFit attached the following images:
img_1085.jpg img_1086.jpg img_1087.jpg img_1088.jpg img_1089.jpg img_1090.jpg img_1091.jpg

renatoa
Think bigger !
Think to a TO, the best "heat gun" in the town Grin

And... welcome2

jitg999
Hope for best

RetroFit
I got it finished today. I roasted a half pound last night with it and it did great. It's going to take me a little bit to figure out the right heat gun settings, but it's pretty easy to manage. My next test roast will be to see if it can manage a full pound. That was my initial goal.

Here's a short video (assuming I post it correctly):

I'll see about capturing a video of my next roast.
RetroFit attached the following images:
img_1116.jpg img_1115.jpg img_1114.jpg img_1113.jpg img_1112.jpg

JackH
Nicely done!

You can extend the life of your heat gun if you run it on cool (if it has it) for a while instead of just shutting it off. I find that it keeps the heat coil alive longer for me.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

RetroFit
Thanks for the tip. My gun does have a ?cool? setting so I?ll be sure to use it.

renatoa
Good as dough mixer too Grin

Now, no joking, I guess this is just a demo, because speed is to slow as in video, for those wires, maybe good for paddles, like Gene.
The drill machine having variable speed, I am sure you will find the best agitation.

RetroFit
You are exactly right. That was just for a demonstration. When I am actually roasting I do set it at a higher speed.

mtbizzle

RetroFit wrote:

I got it finished today. I roasted a half pound last night with it and it did great. It's going to take me a little bit to figure out the right heat gun settings, but it's pretty easy to manage. My next test roast will be to see if it can manage a full pound. That was my initial goal.

Here's a short video (assuming I post it correctly):

I'll see about capturing a video of my next roast.

I love it! I like that you took the basics of the FSHG and added some bells and whistles. How is it faring for you?
Roast: Kaldi wide, SR800 + projects
Grind: Lab sweet, Bentwood, giota w/ MP burrs, Commandante
Pull: Decent, La Pavoni, Elektra Microcasa a Leva, Faemina anno 60, Kim Express

yamhill
Nice! I like it. I can't quite figure out how you did the stirring arms. How did you make them?

John
Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

Jump to Forum: