Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cans used for popper chimney
mtbizzle
Many people use an empty metal can (soup, beans, vegetables can) as a sort of chimney on poppers, extending the chamber.

I'm working on some plans for a popper flour sifter, and plan to put a can as a 'chimney', loosely secured to the Poppery II, with a coupling of sorts attaching this can chimney to the flour sifter.

My question is about the linings used in most metal cans that are used for food. Is this lining safe to use for the roaster, i.e. is it safe to expose that lining to this heat?

If not, does any body have any suggestions for something better that can fill the same function? That is, act as a sort of chimney for the popper chamber, and allow me to easily 'connect' a flour sifter to the popper.

BBQ grill
Roast: Kaldi wide, SR800 + projects
Grind: Lab sweet, Bentwood, giota w/ MP burrs, Commandante
Pull: Decent, La Pavoni, Elektra Microcasa a Leva, Faemina anno 60, Kim Express

CharcoalRoaster
When I built a popcorn roaster for a friend to get started on I bought a sheet of really thin aluminum. It's easily cut with tin snips and you can secure it with rivets, screws, or just hose clamps. It's also easily rolled/manipulated so you can ensure a smooth, snug fit into your popper chamber.

With that chimney installed I think he can do 180g loads

yamhill
I did the same thing with my first popcorn popper roaster. I used a small piece of flashing material from the hardware/big-box-home store. I rolled it to roughly the right size and twisted a wire around it so it fit in the popper with a little bit of spring tension.
- John -

CharcoalRoaster wrote:

When I built a popcorn roaster for a friend to get started on I bought a sheet of really thin aluminum. It's easily cut with tin snips and you can secure it with rivets, screws, or just hose clamps. It's also easily rolled/manipulated so you can ensure a smooth, snug fit into your popper chamber.

Quest M3 w/ Artisan via ESP32 emulating TC4. Previous roasters include: IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, and Behmor. Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano; previous espresso PIDed Rancilio Silvia. Also Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip; Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon; bodum French press; aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders.

Jump to Forum: