Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

11/26/2020 6:37 AM
Everyone have a super Thanksgiving and may all your roasts turn out stellar woohoo

11/25/2020 4:20 PM
Howdy 1st CH and welcome to HR forum! Be sure to read in the forums to see if anything covers the topic and please post away in drum roaster forums Welcome

11/25/2020 3:35 PM
Hey everyone! I am new to the home roasters forum. Mainly here to read and learn! I’d also love to get advice about modifying my roaster (a Huky 500)

11/10/2020 5:29 PM
Welcome MJ, post away! Cheers

11/08/2020 6:05 PM
Hello All, New here, started with an air popper, now using fresh roast 800. I'm here to learn and connect with others Thank you

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,835
Newest Member: sangrai kopi
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My first roaster ever - a very cheap fluid bed
rk27
Hi,

Many thanks to this community and people who share their builds.
I was about to build a roaster after I found some videos on YouTube - sifters, airguns, bread machines... and at one point I found roastuino project with RC made of french press.
So I was looking for a proper french press to buy and replicate this project, but I started to look for other glassware and found that Carafe from IKEA is better because of its reduced bottleneck.
This is how I found this forum and amazing build by CK, Linnaeus along with many others.

My attempt is not that solid though. I just wanted to build a kind of proof of concept.
And it works.
Now I need to learn how to roast in a proper way. Maybe later I’ll switch to Arduino and Artisan software.
Currently maximum capacity is 300 grams. I use 3.4 kW heating element and 1 kW air blower.

BOM is available at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...EZ8fc/edit
Total cost is under $100

Videos of beans load tests https://yadi.sk/d/b5qg_VcMfFNeRA
rk27 attached the following images:
e707a65f-5aff-45c8-87c2-8f75fb986088.jpeg roaster_27.jpg

Edited by JackH on 08/08/2020 2:52 PM
JackH
Nice work on the roaster!

I corrected one of your photos and turned it 90deg.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
mtbizzle
That is a neat roaster! Thank you for adding the parts list too -- some one may find it very useful. And it also helps me learn some. Unfortunately I don't think exact parts list would work in USA, due to voltage difference (120 - 220).. I wonder if there are easy swaps for U.S. voltage.
Edited by mtbizzle on 08/12/2020 7:09 PM
Roast: Nostalgia popper
Grind: Bunn G3, Comandante c40
Brew: aeropress, v60, la pavoni professional & flair espresso, Hoffmann french press, 'Scott Rao' water
Ask me about Tea!
rk27
Thanks guys.

Having roasted 3-4 kilos of Burundi I decided to upgrade. The main reason was to get rid of brushed motor which plastic housing didn't smell well until I thoroughly washed it. I also don't like brushes as they require to have a filter to catch small carbon particles at the exhaust.
So, I switched to small DC18V 380W motor from a cordless vacuum. It ships with PWM controller board.
The second reason was the addition of telemetry and Artisan to track roasting process. For that I ordered TC4+ and bluetooth board. And these gave me not just telemetry but also control over the heating element and fan.

Finally, I printed new enclosure for the motor and almost ready to roast.
But then it comes understanding that profiling is not an easy thing at all.
I was initially thinking that ET probe in fluidbed roaster should sit at the heating element exit and therefore PID SV must be set to the target temperature where I want my beans to be at the end of the roasting process. Although I realize that it could introduce too much heat to the beans.
Now after looking at other builds I see that originally ET stands for environmental temp, I thought it is exhaust. In a drum roaster ET probe is actually inside the drum, and for a fluidbed roaster ET probe usually sits on top of the exit from the roasting chamber.

For BT probe in a future I'll probably try to add IR sensor like some other people did in their builds. For now I drilled small hole in my third ikea carafe
(which I also finally broke and now I don't roasting chamber...) almost the same way as CK did, unfortunately I could not source those magnets, so I stick with a bolt-and-nut approach.

Well, I'm now thinking about to use BT for PID which I don't think is right unless I start with lower SV, as for ET I'll put it on top of the carafe.
I believe it will give me more understanding of the process and some food for the future changes.
But the first thing now is to get another couple of those ikea carafes to start testing it.

Some videos of a new build available here https://yadi.sk/d/b5qg_VcMfFNeRA?w=1
rk27 attached the following images:
c7271b9d-aa15-4db0-bc06-90786cf54f3b.jpg photo5194968201455317388.jpg

Edited by rk27 on 10/19/2020 3:19 PM
Jump to Forum: