Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My 1-2 KG drum roaster
BoomerSooner
Hi everybody. I?m working on a new build. I?ve been around reading as much as possible, and have found Dereks thread very helpful. I?m working on my drum right now. It?s 10?x 11.5? .120 thickness. I?ve installed the outer vanes at 25 degrees. I used 14 gauge sheet to cut out these vanes. Will this gauge be thick enough (.078?)? I?m still messing with how I?m going to attach inner vanes. At what angle should the inner vane come across the outer vane? I?ve mocked it up as coming across two of the outer vanes at 40 degrees off the side of the vane. I have a little bit of OCD in me and want everything perfect. I twisted my vanes by hand and they came out pretty good. I keep going over each one trying to make it perfectly 90 degrees from drum all the way back. How crucial is this so I don?t keep wasting unnecessary time. Well sorry for the ramble. Will try and upload pics. Thanks
Edited by BoomerSooner on 08/16/2020 2:05 PM

allenb
Measuring from a straight line in line with the drum, 40 degrees should be fine. I think I went with 45 degrees to get the most draw rearward possible and that's pretty darn close to that.

Nothing wrong with .078" thickness on vanes and the only real criteria is to ensure it isn't easy to bend them if doing work in the drum and that thickness would be tough to distort.

How critical to have the vanes perfectly at a right angle to the drum surface? Not critical so I would make it somewhat close but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

On mounting possibilities, nothing wrong with tack welding to the outer vanes at the cross points or if not wanting to melt metal, be creative with a screw on bracket to the outer vane with a twist of some sort.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
I'm also a bit OCD. My solution was certainly unorthodox but it works fine. The inner vanes are about .07" thick, but come from a push-style lawn mower "reel". The outer vanes are attached to the outside of the using silver solder and the inside vanes are attached to the rods in the same manner.
oldgrumpus attached the following images:
drum2_2.jpg drum_5.jpg

Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH

BoomerSooner
Thank you for your responses. That is a very sharp looking drum. I would like to document my progress, but can not figure out how to add pictures.

JackH
At the bottom of the Reply to thread screen, click on "Browse", then select which photo you want to post in the next window that appears (it will be the contents of your computer):

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/postphoto.jpg

When you select your photo and click "Open", you will see a path at the bottom of the screen as shown:

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/photopath.jpg

Do not use "Preview reply" or "Preview post", it will not attach properly. Just click "Post reply"
JackH attached the following images:
photopath.jpg postphoto.jpg

Edited by JackH on 08/15/2020 4:12 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BoomerSooner
Lets see if this works...... Well it didn't post my picture. Im on a Mac and it says choose file not browse. I get the file name at the bottom when I choose the picture. Hit post reply and nothing. Will keep trying.
Edited by BoomerSooner on 08/16/2020 2:02 PM

JackH

BoomerSooner wrote:

Lets see if this works...... Well it didn't post my picture. Im on a Mac and it says choose file not browse. I get the file name at the bottom when I choose the picture. Hit post reply and nothing. Will keep trying.

What file type is it? .jpg? Try renaming the file with a simple filename. Sometimes spaces and special characters can cause trouble.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BoomerSooner
Let’s see if this works.
BoomerSooner attached the following image:
effdb740-3af5-4f2f-98f6-44a9991e6b21.jpeg

Edited by BoomerSooner on 08/09/2022 11:57 PM

oldgrumpus
It worked! Looks good! Now keep posting more!!
Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH

Jump to Forum: