Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Did Aaron's Coffee suck
Yes it did Yes it did 25%[1 Vote]
No he just doesn't know good coffee No he just doesn't know good coffee 75%[3 Votes]
Total Votes : 4
 Print Thread
My coffee doesn't suck
AaronT
In my humble opinion I have been churning out some pretty good roast recently. Being the nice guy that I am, I give some to my old man to try out. When I ask how he liked it he tells me " Can I be honest with you son? I think the McCafe is better"

MCCAFE?!?!

So did my coffee actually suck? or does he just not know good coffee because he's used to buying big can Folgers??
Edited by AaronT on 08/27/2020 4:31 PM

DrHenley
Yeah that sucks when people don't know what's good. My son drinks coffee that I swear is made from charcoal briquettes and doesn't like my home roast because it's "too sour."

But so far, he's the only person that doesn't really really like it.

But McDonalds used to have some of the best coffee you could buy outside of specialty coffee shops. I haven't had any for ages though. If I have to buy some on the road I get Dunkin.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AeroPress, Capresso On The Go single cup drip, Moka Pot
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

baldheadracing
I can think of a few reasons:

1. People like what they are used to. A light-roasted coffee is going to taste like vinegar to a Starbucks person. Someone who drinks light-roasted coffee exclusively is going to taste charcoal in Starbucks.

2. Preparation. Many people don't use enough coffee for the water that they are adding. Very few are going to weigh out coffee, and only the obsessed will weigh out water. The darker the roast, the easier it is to extract and thus cover up lack of rigor. Then there are machines - a typical drip Mr. Coffee is just not going to get hot enough to extract a lighter roast (unless obsessive measures are taken, LoL), and grinders marketed for home use are almost always garbage, and even good home grinders (for example, Baratza Encore) pale in comparison to specialty grinders.

3. One's taste buds will adapt to the roasts that one does. That's why many home roasters will say that their coffee tastes great to them - even if, for example, all their roasts have roast defects like a baked note. That's why commercial specialty roasters are always cupping their coffees with other folks' roasts.

Viking
Well, my coffee doesn't suck, and in fact I receive a lot of accolades for it. Medium roasted, Columbian or Brazilian are my main choices, and a Mazzer Jolly grinder, made several ways - French roast, Omni-press, Espresso and Bunn MCU single serve brewer. Now to get off topic and see if anyone knows of a replacement for my recently dead Bunn My Caf? MCU. Looks to me like it is the circuit board, and discontinued both machines and parts. Does anyone know of a really good single serve loose grounds brewer for $300 or so? I have been searching for about two weeks and find Hamilton Beach brewers which I have ordered, but think the water will not get hot enough, and may not hold enough grounds to make real coffee. Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

And I am sorry to get off the roasting topics, but I am getting desperate.
Edited by Viking on 08/29/2020 9:20 AM

DrHenley

Viking wrote:
Does anyone know of a really good single serve loose grounds brewer for $300 or so? I have been searching for about two weeks and find Hamilton Beach brewers which I have ordered, but think the water will not get hot enough, and may not hold enough grounds to make real coffee. Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

The Capresso "On the Go" coffee maker is what you seek. I never go anywhere without mine. Waaaaaay less than $300, but for a single serve loose ground coffee maker it is superb. It brews straight into your cup. Yeti Rambler tumblers work perfectly with it. You can use pods, cone filters, basket filters, or the included mesh filter. It gets the water HOT, and the small basket concentrates the grounds perfectly for one cup. It is so efficient, it requires one third less coffee grounds than a cone type drip coffee maker to make the same amount of coffee at the same strength.
i.imgur.com/aQzgBq2.jpg

Here is how I travel with mine. When I travel, I leave NOTHING to chance, LOL. The last place we stayed had gawdawful coffee, but NO PROBLEM!!!

The small jar is my measuring cup for water. The metal measuring cup is 1/4 cup which holds from 20-25 g of whole beans, which for me is right at the right strength.
i.imgur.com/7csFbez.png
Edited by DrHenley on 08/29/2020 9:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2

baldheadracing

Viking wrote:

Well, my coffee doesn't suck, and in fact I receive a lot of accolades for it. Medium roasted, Columbian or Brazilian are my main choices, and a Mazzer Jolly grinder, made several ways - French roast, Omni-press, Espresso and Bunn MCU single serve brewer. Now to get off topic and see if anyone knows of a replacement for my recently dead Bunn My Caf? MCU. Looks to me like it is the circuit board, and discontinued both machines and parts. Does anyone know of a really good single serve loose grounds brewer for $300 or so? I have been searching for about two weeks and find Hamilton Beach brewers which I have ordered, but think the water will not get hot enough, and may not hold enough grounds to make real coffee. Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

And I am sorry to get off the roasting topics, but I am getting desperate.

Technivorm Moccamaster "Cup-one" is about $220, and has most of that Moccamaster goodness (copper element, etc.). https://us.moccam...serve.html

I don't have one, as I had a no-name single-serve that my Mother won in a raffle decades ago that I modified to do mostly what I wanted. The short water path in these small brewers means that temp is probably not an issue. (Yup, I put thermocouples on mine to test it, LoL.) The only caveat with mine is that when I use a paper filter, I have to manually bloom the coffee by starting a brew cycle and then turning the brewer off for the bloom, or I'll get grounds everywhere.

DrHenley
Or you can use an Aeropress.

Jump to Forum: