Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

01/12/2021 6:15 PM
@Nomad As a general rule Roasting should not exceed 20 min to second crack You are describing is baking

12/31/2020 2:39 PM
I trying another 2 cups at 200 for 45 min

12/31/2020 2:38 PM
I have a questions.. im trying to experiment with riasting.. i roasted 3 cup of nicaraguan at 200 degrees for 1 hr and 30 min.. is that to long?

12/17/2020 11:16 AM
Snow again in NC.

12/13/2020 3:51 PM
I didn't realize snow was forecasted for this neck of the woods

Users Online
Guests Online: 24

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,938
Newest Member: Flozza
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Sandbox Smart R1 roaster
mtbizzle
Just saw this apparently new roaster. The price in relation to the batch size is obscene. Aside from that, curious what everyone's thoughts are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHoVu...HoVu5NQe7I
Roast: Nostalgia popper
Grind: Bunn G3, Comandante c40
Brew: aeropress, v60, la pavoni professional & flair espresso, Hoffmann french press, 'Scott Rao' water
Ask me about Tea!
renatoa
Price is new Taiwan dollar = 0.035 USD, so $732, reasonable for a bling roaster.

If BT is measured right, it could be a bargain as a sampler, given the curent price of other samplers.

I flirted for a while with such build roaster, bigger basket, 2-300 grams load, using as heat source a TO, but the gloves operating of hot basket was been indeed annoying, so moved to other build.
Also, all the chaff remaining in the basket and burning... not good...
Edited by renatoa on 11/16/2020 2:49 AM
renatoa
On Amazon, as combo with a cooling tray:

https://www.amazon.com/Sandbox-Smart-...08J818GMR/
Turnado
Bella Barista will stock Sandbox Smart R1 very soon. I’d like to see the reviews of this one. Could be just right for learning profiling at 100g batches.
renatoa
Analysed the machine and I would refrain to buy it for many reasons.
The most important is the reported temperature, as it is measured can't be enough precise for the requirements of an accurate RoR to be computed. I could even say that it is simply a bogus to look nice on that app screen.
The temperature is measured using three IR sensors, placed in a vertical bar cluster, you can locate them right of the shaft, about 4-5 hours.
The problem with that placement is that area contains no beans, it is simply void, in a normal operation, when the drum turns. Check the image showing a normal beans pile distribution. The beans are in left side, in the 6-9 hours segment, where are located also the radiant elements. The area where IR sensors are placed is clear.
So those sensor can't measure anything other than the drum metal, and even this is questionable, because it is shinny, not a good target for an IR measurement. And the hue will change in time, as the drum is seasoned.
Someone could write a piece of code to compute the beans temperature and simulate the whole roast process more accurate than this measurement system. I highly doubt this measurement is capable to show FC, flick or crash in a roast.
I say this because I did such piece of code for Gene roaster, and the results of simulation were close to reality within 5 degrees window of approximation. I mean my code shows 195 C degrees when FC occurs, while Gene display reads 238 C degrees, hot air exhaust obviously.

So, until more clarification from the manufacturers, for me this machine is just a nice try of contemporary design that roast coffee with a certain approximation. Others do it better for less money and larger loads.
renatoa attached the following images:
drum-rotation-diagram.jpg nvv9ju5jsbvfee.jpg
Jump to Forum: