leekindo, Kian and nvalley, Welkome !

09/14/2021 9:18 AM
TheHobo, Bigtuna and kilaw, welcome to forum

09/10/2021 8:14 AM
Welcome, hakan and flugsio !

09/06/2021 10:48 AM
Welcome, White Iron ! Grin Welcome marmalade

09/01/2021 1:51 PM
Welcome, sunbear73, KellersCup and cchrisgates !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,322
Newest Member: nvalley

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Fluid bed roaster- Help with how to control it
CamMor89
Hi!

I've just ordered parts to make my own fluid bed roaster, but i'm struggling on finding out how to control it.
I've seen several builds, some use TC4/TC4+ or other similar options.

What I would like to do in the future is having a raspberry pi or something similar connected to a screen and control/monitor the roasting without having the necessity to use a computer/laptop. But for now having to connect computer is OK.

What I would like to know:
What do you recommend as program for roast-logging?
What kind of setup is the most stable/supported by home roasters/roasters in general?
What items would be necessary to control my setup?

I have a 24v DC motor as blower with a builtin controller (possible to control over TC4 or similar) and 3,3kW heating element.

I'm not afraid of any programming or if I have to weld, as I have done some of that before.

I will upload pictures, and links to the items I've bought if people are interested, and if it is a success share a video :)
wbbh
Watching. Mine is manually controlled so I'm no help.
renatoa
The simplest and most affordable manual control choice is probably a digital display SCR you can buy from Amazon, something like this:
https://www.amazo...ef=sr_1_12

For temperature measurement and data logging Artisan compatible, the answer is Mastech MS6514, no soldering, no tinkering, just plug and roast.

If you need an all in one solution, measurement and control, probably the obvious path is something from the TC4 universe, built in house or bought. but... at this small scale I don't think you need computer control, roasting for own consumption doesn't require the repeatability/consistency as a production workflow, imo ...

As a personal preference, after some years of trying a lot of things, what I need the least near my roaster is a computer screen. Grin

If you are skilled with electronics, then a project integrating a MS6514 and the SCR with an Arduino/ESP board would be an interesting challenge.
Edited by renatoa on 06/13/2021 8:34 AM
Jump to Forum: