Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rewire 230V popcorn machine fan & heater
renatoa
We buy chinese stuff a lot more than we are aware.
The popper is a chinese product too...
Wait times are solved with planning in advance... and patience.
Else, without patience you can find probably the very same products for 2-3x the price, but "locally"... maybe with warranty, if you are lucky about a honest seller.
Usually spare parts aren't under same warranty rules as the boxed/sealed items.
Many seller refuse to accept returns for power supplies for example, is too easy to brick them with a short.

For any such projects is highly advisable a deep understanding of how the current travels through circuitry. These parts aren't lego bricks, to be assembled just to see if what we obtain has any meaning.

Ploni
Can a voltage regulator appropriate for this project be found in and salvaged from any kind of electronic device?

I cannot find such a component here in Israel. Purchasing online is costly in money and time, and has proven to be a frustrating exercise in commerce.

Or, can my voltage regulator be repaired?

Ploni

Ploni wrote:

Can a voltage regulator appropriate for this project be found in and salvaged from any kind of electronic device?

I cannot find such a component here in Israel. Purchasing online is costly in money and time, and has proven to be a frustrating exercise in commerce.

Or, can my voltage regulator be repaired?

I've purchased the Princess brand popcorn machine per zamunda's favorable recommendation.

Can this unit be used without modifications? If not, is the mod process exactly the same as for the smaller generic machine? What are my options for obtaining a working speed controller?

Thanks.

renatoa
To be sure it is really faulty, I would disconnect it completely from the actual setup, connect a cable with mains plug at the input terminals (or bare wires, but be careful ! ), and a 220V incandescent bulb at the output, and check if it acts as a dimmer.

Ploni
Didn't we do this already?

renatoa
As I remember, the controller input was been connected to the popper wires.
With the info I have so far, I can't be sure the connection is right, and goes straight to the mains.

Ploni
So, seeing that the DIY-RIY coffee wasn't working for me vis a vis Chinese components or Amazon shipping prices, I decided to delve into the fine art-science of skillet roasting.

A few trips to the Jerusalem main market and lots of talk with the Ethiopian Jews there brought me a number of important tips to contemplate and then implement.

First I had to invest in a portable gas stove and a 28 cm skillet but after a few attempts and a lot of smoke I'm now enjoying pleasant real coffee that I've roasted myself. Delicious.

Most elegant solution and cheapest too.
Edited by Ploni on 02/21/2022 5:36 AM

allenb
Sorry to hear the parts costs with shipping became a deal breaker. Nothing wrong with roasting using the method first utilized when coffee was discovered and had been used for seed roasting way before that. It can produce stellar results if one develops the techniques required.

Also, if, in the future you find a way to get parts for a reasonable cost, you can use the information you've learned here to go ahead and build a roaster.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Ploni
Thanks, allenb. Will do.

If anyone wants that Princess popcorn machine, let me know.

Jump to Forum: