Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Using kanthal as an open coil material
progen
According to some vapers, kanthal gives off a slightly metallic smell which might affect flavour but it's higher possible temperature is a plus to electricity scrooges like me.

I'm planning a 8000 - 10000 watt heater next and was wondering should I still stick with nichrome 80 or go for kanthal because in my country, the unbranded kanthals are only a bit more expensive than nichrome.

renatoa
Nichrome is used frequently up to 6-800C, why would you want more temp ?

Kanthal is used especially by folks with nickel allergies, and this is a strong point to not use nichrome, for vapers.
But for roasting, where you don't inhale the hot air, there is no obvious plus for kanthal.

progen

renatoa wrote:

Nichrome is used frequently up to 6-800C, why would you want more temp ?

Kanthal is used especially by folks with nickel allergies, and this is a strong point to not use nichrome, for vapers.
But for roasting, where you don't inhale the hot air, there is no obvious plus for kanthal.

I do infused coffee quite often because I find the possibilities highly interesting and often delicious. Of course there'll be some slow drying before roasting but the moisture content will still be higher than before the infusing.

Also, I'd feel a lot better if I was running my heater at 75 - 80% max most of the time for full 2.5kg batches which is why the theoretically higher maximum temperature of kanthal may come in useful.

Jump to Forum: