Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Input please on a couple of early roasts...
allenb
I'm going to do exactly as the guy did in the video with my Ethiopian stash and will report back. If we find positive results, yes, lets add to brewing/cupping forums.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Microfiche

HarryDog wrote:
Hey Microfiche, when you come across too fruity beans how about a test, re-wash them. I have seen a few people do this and wonder if it could save some of those beans.

Holy crap - I stopped getting updates on this thread and just stumbled back here!
I have ordered another 5 pounds of beans, but made sure all were washed 😂
That being said, I also roasted a Ethiopia Sidama Bensa Segera Kenyan Style Natural https://www.pre-u...le-natural and it was lovely - no fruitiness at all.
I tried to look up what "Kenyan Style Natural" processing was, sounds like sort of a hybrid method.
I think before I try another natural processed green bean though, I will see if anyone here knows it!
Retired, newbie roaster, long time coffee lover, with Phidget connected thermocouples in SR800

allenb
I performed the washing regimen as described in the video on an Ethiopian that has an overly fermented taste that's a combination of old stale beer and old stale cherry juice along with some good chocolate and spice. Washed and rubbed for 1/2 hour and lots of greenish brown dishwater looking water came out of it along with lots of silverskin. Did a drying routine on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 F.

After 20 hours post-roast rest, the coffee was noticeably cleaner and with much reduced ferment funk but level of old cherry fruit intensity was not reduced.

So, I highly recommend this for folks that have a natural that's muddy and without definition or one that the fermenting stage went wrong and has the old leftover beer taint. But, I don't think you will reduce the level of fruit intensity.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Microfiche

allenb wrote:
... I highly recommend this for folks that have a natural that's muddy and without definition or one that the fermenting stage went wrong and has the old leftover beer taint. But, I don't think you will reduce the level of fruit intensity.

Good to know! Thanks for putting in the effort!
Retired, newbie roaster, long time coffee lover, with Phidget connected thermocouples in SR800

HarryDog
Hey Allenb, did you weigh the beans before wash and after?
How long did you dry at 200 F?
Doing this but a soda soak after.

allenb
No, did not weigh them. I left them in the oven at 200F for 30 minutes and looked and felt like there was no possibility of any remaining moisture from the rinsing process. The fluidbed roast done an hour or so afterwards progressed at the same expected RoR during the first few minutes so this told me the beans had not retained any excess moisture.

HarryDog
I did a 15min wash of 454g beans they picked up 39.3g of water.
I dried 30min at 150F and they were back to 454.9g

Still drying from my Dr. Pepper soak.
I'm surprised at how fast the beans pickup and release the moisture.
Want to roast them today.

HarryDog
Well I run into a problem, the soda soaked beans brown extremely fast and seam slower to hit FC. Not sure if this is the extra sugar but the first roast was a train wreck and the second was better but both are very dark.
Both are interesting but I don't think it was worth the effort specially if you don't like dark roasts. Back to the drawing board.

renatoa
Well, maybe it's time to leave the bubbling experiments for other sunny days and back to the roots of the blog... the story is about re-hydrating, not washing the coffee.
I.e. bring back the moisture into the too dried coffees, in order to be able to absorb the heat properly and drive a right roast.
We are talking about 3% of water, from the 8-9% moisture to 11-12%.
This means 30 grams of water for 1 kg of greens.
If we wash the coffee, there will be a lot more water absorbed than this amount, and drying (at ambient) will not remove it in a reasonable time to not worry about mold issues. Drying in a hot ambient is even more questionable for flavors, imo.
This is the challenge, how to bring only this small amount of water into beans, as uniform as possible ?
A possible solution is to spray only the required water quantity, while the beans are under continuous movement, then keep the mixing for some time until all the water is absorbed, perform a weight check, add more water if required, etc.
So you need a specialized device for this operation, thinking to something similar to a whirley pop for small quantities, or a washing machine for larger loads Grin

allenb

renatoa wrote:

Well, maybe it's time to leave the bubbling experiments for other sunny days and back to the roots of the blog... the story is about re-hydrating, not washing the coffee.

The roots of the thread is multifaceted but primarily about reducing fruit forwardness by roasting darker and expanded into washing later on in the thread. No need to restrict where this goes.

renatoa
Surely not my intention :)

renatoa
When you go too far with yeast infusion... a new life happens Shock
renatoa attached the following image:
image_2023-12-22_182828055.png

Jump to Forum: