Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Controlling shop vac for blower
BadHabitRoasters
I’m doing roast chamber development and flow testing. My TC4 is not quite functional yet but I’m getting closer. Has anybody ever tried just plugging in their shop vac to a TC4 controlled AC outlet? Did a quick search and didn’t find anything.

greencardigan
I do that regularly. You need to use the PAC Phase angle control option in the sketches to allow the smooth control of a universal AC motor found in most shop vacs.

renatoa
With the accent on "universal".
Won't work for an induction motor, either sync or async.
Hint: universal motors have brushes, high RPM (over 5.000) and are noisy, induction motors are quiet and low RPM (1350-3600) Grin

BadHabitRoasters
Thank you both. I think I’m following. Are you saying vacuum cleaner motors can be induction motors? If so, hod do you control their speed? By the way, my SSR for PAC control should arrive tomorrow.

renatoa
Nope, vac motors are almost all universal, at least the dozens are sold as spare parts.

An induction motor has the lowest torque at start, while a brushed motor is exactly the opposite.
A vac motor needs high torque at start, so...

Could be a very particular case, for the most modern and exquisite vac cleaners, a brushless motor. But these are using a kind of three phase current, generated by a special driver board, usually embedded, and the assembly cost a fortune, so you can't miss them.

Jump to Forum: